ZT0560/1 vs 0550

Okay well I'm not trying to resurrect a dead thread but I did promise to report back once I got my 0561 in my hands and it finally happened!

I'm going to give it a while but I think I might be coming down on the side of Chester22 in prefering the 0550 range.
Ben

I told you so..if you people would listen to me lol . :D I just fell the 0550 is more of a work horse/EDC tool then the flashy monster that the 0560s are..which I also love.

?.. easy as my 550. ... my 550 flicks open flawlessly even with my index finger...
Do you have the latest version? Is it like that out of the box? I just bought 550 which appear to be the older style, and I could not open with thumb stud at all. For one hand open I have to pull the blade out slightly with my thumb
and index finger before pushing the stud open all the way. I'm thinking of filling the detend hole partly with a bit of epoxy until the 550 break in completely.

Last edited:
Dammit Chester22, and there I was trying to skirt around the "you were right" acknowledgement... ;)

I think for me, you were right. There - I said it. Happy now? In all seriousness, I really appreciated your input on this thread but as so much in life, I had to find out for myself. I should be able to off-load it reasonably easily here in the UK should I decide to.

Something about the 0550 size that just works a bit 'better' for me (and you clearly!)

Thanks again,

Ben

Do you have the latest version? Is it like that out of the box? I just bought 550 which appear to be the older style, and I could not open with thumb stud at all. For one hand open I have to pull the blade out slightly with my thumb
and index finger before pushing the stud open all the way. I'm thinking of filling the detend hole partly with a bit of epoxy until the 550 break in completely.

Hey Carson, I have the older style 0550 and for a while there I had the Devil's own job to open the blade using the thumb-studs until I read around it here and realised that I needed to 'push' the thumbstud 'up' (towards where the tip ends up when the blade is open) not 'out' (i.e. at 90 degrees to the handle). Once I figured this and practiced a bit the blade literally flies out using the thumbstuds on my knife. Not saying that you are in the same place as I was but it is certainly worth persevering. I almost fell out of love with the 0550 because I just couldn't readily open the damn thing - now I have the 'knack' it is my favourite EDC bar none.

Ben

Simply "standing on the shoulders of giants" again Carson - I didn't figure this out by myself. That is the beautiful thing about this forum...

I really hope you can enjoy your 0550 as much as I do from now on!

Cheers,

Ben

IMAG0436.jpg IMAG0437.jpg IMAG0438 (1280x689).jpg 100_1362.jpg 100_1364.jpg

Deep carry clip? Not a problem...custom scale? Working on it...(I have since drilled and tapped it for the second screw...still looking for that pic)

Yeah, but no deep-carry clip and I'd still want a custom scale.

I know you have 3 stunning 0550's and it was partly that which prompted me to seriously consider another ZT purchase!

Cheers,

Ben

Last edited:
Update - 1 day in:

Okay so my beautiful 0561 is a bit on the big side but she's growning on me. Especially as my travel folder. With work I go to a bunch of reasonably undesirable places and I can't carry firearms. My 0561 feels close to the next best thing in a folding format.

I know, I know a knife is an absolutely horrible self defence tool but if it is all you have then the 0561 feels like my most capable folder in that capacity. (I'd still MUCH prefer .45 ACP but you can't always have everything!!)

Ben

I have a 561 a560 and 2 551 s. While the 560 knives are well made excellent knives,their size and general feel cause me to carry the 551 much more often. The sturdy 551 is excellent for carry and hard use. Having compared the 551 to a Hinderer at my local b and m store, the 551 is a heck of a value. I ve been surprised that I carry the 551 so much more. I m keeping my 560 knives in case I change my mind. For what they are, they re very nice.

Man I'm glad I found this thread. I was just about to buy a 0561 for my first ZT but after reading this I ordered the ZT0550 BLK limited edition from Kershawguys Black Friday sale today. Best price on the web. Can't wait to get it.

Last edited:
Hopefully ZT will wake up and make a smaller 560/1. They would not be able to keep up with demand for a smaller 560, aka 555. There you go KAI ,555 is the next big thing!

You heard it here first!

To me personally the 560 is just a tad to big for edc. Its a real pity too because its such a beautiful knife! I do love my 550 though.

Whp and Ryan, having carried the 0561 for a few more days I am still more inclined to agree with you - I prefer carrying the 0550. Don't get me wrong as I previously stated the 0561 is an incredible knife but like you said Ryan it is "...just a tad too big for edc".

Righttoown, if this thread has helped you make a decision I am genuinely delighted. Truthfully, I don't think you'd be disappointed with either but I certainly prefer carrying the 0550.

All that means is that I suspect we'd agree with your suggestion of a smaller 0560 series PC87 (although it has been suggested several times previously, although without the code number suggestion!)

Cheers all - enjoy your knives,

Ben

I still don't get the notion that the 0560 is "too big for EDC," when it's not an EDC knife. It wasn't designed that way. I've yet to see it labeled as an every day utility knife, so what it translates to is "The large knife is too large to carry every day."

sticktodrum,

It isn't a criticism of the knife itself - rather my primary use for a folder is typically EDC. I think the 0560/1 series excels at a larger, tactical style folder but my needs in that regards remain (hopefully) very limited. That was really what one of my previous comments was trying to address.

As I have said repeatedly, my 0561 is a terrrific knife. It's just that other slightly more carriable knives will likely see more pocket time for me and my typical uses including the 0550 by comparison. Whilst you may not "get it" re. attempting to apply this knife to an EDC role - I think a lot of people like to EDC more robust tools as a 'just in case' philosophy so trying to EDC an over-built tool seems like an utterly legitimate activity. Further, it is only by trial and error and 'field' testing that each of us can figure out what works for us individually...

Ben

I went back and forth carrying the 0550/0560 and ended up liking the 0550 better for everyday task's. That being said I ended up going to my JYD SG2 for EDC because it has a great blade/handle ratio and is thin and smooth in pocket. It might seem like a small thing but reaching into my pocket with the thin smooth TI handle is much better than either the 0550/0560. Just my 2 cents

The 560 is a large folder, but I don't see why it's difficult to edc.
Mine rides nice and deep in my pocket and is slim enough to retrieve other items, and i also wear it IWB of my sweatpants all the time.
Maybe im just used to carrying larger folders (Military, CQC-15, Lg Seb, Contego, etc.).
Im sure the 550 is capable, but something about it just doesn't flip my switch like the 560 does.

I have a 0560 on the way to me and I am really looking forward to it. Of course, I will have to get a 055x to check that out, too.

I just picked up a 560 off the exchange for a steal. Came today. This thing is HUGE! Biggest folder I have by far. The nice thing it's very light for it's size. I've been carrying it today and so far no biggie. I really like the flipper. If only the 550 was a flipper I'd prefer that. The 555 or whatever would be a great idea and a huge seller.

Back