ZT's, why the wide blade?

Just wondering what it adds to the functional perspective of a knife that the blade is so wide.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'd figure that perhaps more blade=more strength.

Anything else?

Tacticool factor, besides that not much. It could make it stronger for prying by that's not something you should be doing with a folder in the first place.

A wider blade has more stability cutting through a thick object, like a roast. Less tendency for the blade to turn or wiggle. Should have the same advantage in skinning.

Another advantage is that the blade can be thick but still have an acute angle, thus being stronger and more rigid while still allowing a nice narrow edge.

Another advantage is that the blade can be thick but still have an acute angle, thus being stronger and more rigid while still allowing a nice narrow edge.

I think this is the main practical advantage for a knife of this type. There's a greater cross-sectional area, but the additional area is concentrated away from the neutral axis of the blade.

To a degree, widening the tip area is a better strategy for enhancing tip strength than carrying a thick spine up closer to the tip. It's a better overall balance of cutting geometry and strength than a narrow, thick tip.

Of course all of this depends on use.

I think this is the main practical advantage for a knife of this type. There's a greater cross-sectional area, but the additional area is concentrated away from the neutral axis of the blade.

To a degree, widening the tip area is a better strategy for enhancing tip strength than carrying a thick spine up closer to the tip. It's a better overall balance of cutting geometry and strength than a narrow, thick tip.

Of course all of this depends on use.

+1 :thumbup:

Tacticool? I don't get it.
So, is my wide-bladed Spyderco Captain or Sage or RAT #3 tacticool also?
My ZT knives are very useful and I like the wide blade on them. Work great for me.

Everlasting Gobstobber, that's good.
I guess it would take a long time to sharpen that much steel away.

For its thickness, my ZT's blade is VERY sharp, with a nice, acute edge angle that makes it a very nice slicer. On a blade of comparable thickness and less width, it would take a very long secondary bevel (almost like a scandi grind!!!) to attain a similar edge angle. Otherwise, you're left with more of a chopper than a slicer, which is not so hot for a folding knife.
Make sense?

What is a neutral axis? Does my knife have one?

Seriously, what is a knife's neutral axis???

What is a neutral axis? Does my knife have one?

Seriously, what is a knife's neutral axis???
The center line of the blade, drawn from the point to the ricasso (independent of the angle at which the handle might meet the blade).

Wouldn't the belly of the blade allow for an much more effective draw cut?
At least that's what I recall reading. The upper curve would draw into the cut and allow it to slice much deeper. (not on just ZT's but any similar type blade)

Yeah, that's the concept behind a recurved blade. The draw cut is started by the back of the edge, where it's "higher" in relation to the point where the blade meets the material. At that same position, the forward portion of the blade is "lower" than the point of contact. As the knife is drawn backward, the "lower" part of the blade is pushed deeper into the material, and with less effort, than if the blade had no recurve.

For its thickness, my ZT's blade is VERY sharp, with a nice, acute edge angle that makes it a very nice slicer. On a blade of comparable thickness and less width, it would take a very long secondary bevel (almost like a scandi grind!!!) to attain a similar edge angle. Otherwise, you're left with more of a chopper than a slicer, which is not so hot for a folding knife.
Make sense?

Are you talking about the primary edge angle?

Back