A new folder for TKI **Updated Pics**

What about they style of the flipper? Looks like wave action could be used too, no?

It wasn't designed with that intent, it was designed as a guard and for aesthetic purposes. I suppose you could use it in that manner, but you better be wary of the guard on the opposite side.

Hmm, the possibility of it waving open unintentionally/"helpfully" when withdrawn, depending on the material of the pants you're wearing today and how the pockets are cut, whether you're sitting or standing, what the weather is like, etc... that could ruin an otherwise awesome knife. The knife isn't supposed to open until I say so, and then be absolutely reliable, opening to 100% lock, every time. That's what's so nice about flippers in the first place. I really like the symmetry of the double guard, but now I'm a bit worried.

Hmm, the possibility of it waving open unintentionally/"helpfully" when withdrawn, depending on the material of the pants you're wearing today and how the pockets are cut, whether you're sitting or standing, what the weather is like, etc... that could ruin an otherwise awesome knife. The knife isn't supposed to open until I say so, and then be absolutely reliable, opening to 100% lock, every time. That's what's so nice about flippers in the first place. I really like the symmetry of the double guard, but now I'm a bit worried.

I don't know if your comments above are associated with my response as it seems you enjoy being the antagonist. Regardless, I'd recommend you not get too caught up in assumptions until you handle one.

I don't know if your comments above are associated with my response as it seems you enjoy being the antagonist. Regardless, I'd recommend you not get too caught up in assumptions until you handle one.

Huh. I wouldn't have come up with antagonist, more just cursed with a weird sense of humor and a tendency sometimes to write the first thing that comes into my head. But perhaps I should dial it back a bit. Sorry if I've caused anyone any annoyance.

In any case, I wrote what I did in reaction to what I perceived as a hopeful sounding suggestion (which you were, in turn, also responding to) that maybe this new knife might "wave". I was trying to convey, "gee, I sure hope it doesn't, because that would be bad," (I've always regarded the "wave" mechanism as, uh, the opposite of a feature - YMMV) but I was not passing judgement on whether this knife does or does not wave. Actually, "waving" doesn't feel much like something RHK would design for, and given their past work I don't expect the knife would come out the door doing something Rick had not intended (I see Hinderer knives operating so reliably and predictably in the hand - flipping open completely, locking up solidly, keeping fingers off the blade, having a very secure hand position - as being one of their strongest points - I carry one because it's a knife I can rely upon).

Scrutinizing pictures, as I did earlier in the thread, can only go so far; I'm looking forward to hearing the reports that will be posted here by the first folks to handle them at TKI (not me, sadly), to get a better idea of how they perform (my first XM-18 was - at that point - by far the most I'd ever spent on a knife, and I bought it on the basis of years of reviews, reputation, and pictures online, without ever touching one first - a leap of faith that I'm really glad I took).

Last edited:
Suffice it to say, Looks like a Great knife and here's to wishing the Guys a great and safe trip to TKI - I think the New design will be well received by all in attendance.

I own no Hinderers but if I were to do so this would be it. That black micarta one is true functional art. Nice work from everyone involved!

To quote my little green friend, yet again.......

"There is another......"

Well, dagnabit, fifteen minutes going down the dealers list and I can't find it. Did see a number of very nice customs out there that I can't afford, thankyouverymuch.

When I saw the first photos of this one, I didn't find it appealing to me at all. However... I handled one last week and have to admit it felt great and I'm guessing I'll be acquiring one at some point. The grind is amazing, and while I don't normally flip my Hinderers, if you do this one fires hard.

The one I handled was clearly a work in progress, but unlocked as smoothly as any of the Hinderers I own, which is to say very smooth.

Back