AR-15: America's Rifle

what's the best carbine stock for accuracy

The actual stock itself wont have any effect on accuracy. The only way a stock can effect accuracy is if it bothers the shooter or is uncomfortable for them. Just find one that you like and go with it.

I prefer stocks that dont wiggle at all like the Magpul CTR and UBR.

the one that came with it doesn't wiggle or anything. just wish I could extend the rubber buttplate

what's the best carbine stock for accuracy

The barrel and trigger are the two most important ingredients for an accurate AR. Optics are important to accuracy also. The stock needs to be comfortable...which is subjective, so try them out and pick one you like.

How do you like that Luth-AR MBA stock? I've been thinking of picking one up due to the savings over the Magpul PRS.

-Xander

I haven't gotten to shoot with it yet, just got the rifle together last night. But handling it I like it just fine. It's solid and seems to be well built. It's comfortable too. The only gripe I have is that the adjustable cheek piece will flex if you really lay on it. I tend not to do that so I don't see it being a problem. Other than that it seems to be a solid stock for the price. $139 is a bargain. I'll let you know if my opinion changes after I shoot it.

How wide is the cheek weld, side to side? I don't like a real wide one or one at a shallow slope. The narrower (to a point) the better for me. I use my cheek bone as a reference point in my hold, so I don't put a ton of pressure on it.

I wish I could find one local to shoulder.

-X

How wide is the cheek weld, side to side? I don't like a real wide one or one at a shallow slope. The narrower (to a point) the better for me. I use my cheek bone as a reference point in my hold, so I don't put a ton of pressure on it.

-X

I'll take a pic for you later tonight.

Anything up close, especially of the split ring. An ADM mount without the hollow ring just throws me off visually so anything of the solid ring.

Is that a 3" offset or a 2"?

I'll try and grab some pics for you tonight.

-X

I tried to get the overall shape and width measurement.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the pics, that does help a lot! Looks like it might be a winner for me. The comb looks close to a fairly normal monte carlo on a bolt action rifle stock.

-X

Which ACOG is that? I'm going to put one on a similar rifle and I can't figure out which would be closer for a 16" 308... ...the 308 ballistic reticle or the 5.56. From what I understand both the 308 and 5.56 are calibrated to a 20" barrel. From what I can figure 308 from a 16" barrel is right in between the two for drop once you get out a ways.

I'm thinking a TA 11 with a green horseshoe but the chevron looks okay too.

TA11J-308G

Bought it for a 21" FAL, it ended up on this.

More parts incoming, Stag A2 buffer/tube kit and charging handle and just bought a LMT enhanced bolt in standard carrier.

Just need furniture, gas system and optics now!

-X

I don't own an AR but I shoot one... It's the department's patrol rifle. We have 'em in all the squad cars. We issue the Rock River brand with the EOTech sights and some brand or other flashlight on the end. Pretty much the standard police-type rifle.
A couple of things strike me about the AR platform. (Mind, I'm old enough to remember the "M-16" and all the controversy that raged during the Vietnam war and all that)

First, this is the perfect rifle for a certain type of enthusiast, as one can virtually go on forever buying all the latest gadgets, custom parts, and accessories. Much like other enthusiasms... The sheer volume of after-market goodies is overwhelming.
What a great marketing idea?
So you buy, say, a Remington 700 and perhaps a scope. You're pretty much done... Not so with an AR!

Second, since we have to clean these weapons after each range session.... It occurs to me that you can spend almost as much on clever cleaning/maintenance goodies as you can for the rifle.
We have special de-carbonizing tools, special chamber brushes... Our armorer-guy lugs an impressive tool box to the range each time.

So there's not aftermarket stocks for bolt actions that range anywhere from 100-1500? There's many different bases for bolt actions, rings that range from $10-$150. Steel vs. aluminum. MOA base over standard picatinny, dual dovetail, STD, weaver style. Seekins Precision magazine conversion, aftermarket triggers.

True, lots more accessories for the AR, means you can get it exactly how you like it. I guess it's more versatile than a bolt action. Doesn't mean the platform deserves to be shat on because all of the aftermarket stuff for them

And just because your department requires you to clean your rifle after each use, doesn't mean the weapons needs it. I have 1 AR with about 2k rounds though, still runs like a champ, just some fresh lube every now and then. Another at 550 rounds, another at only 230 or so.

The big difference between the AR15 and a bolt gun is end user being able to customize. Swapping barrels, mags, triggers, stocks is so much easier with good results. Even on Savage bolt actions swapping barrels isn't quite as simple. But, bolt actions are capable of much higher degree of accuracy. Just go look around for Rem 700 parts, there is enough to make your head spin as well.

-Xander

The big difference between the AR15 and a bolt gun is end user being able to customize. Swapping barrels, mags, triggers, stocks is so much easier with good results. Even on Savage bolt actions swapping barrels isn't quite as simple. But, bolt actions are capable of much higher degree of accuracy. Just go look around for Rem 700 parts, there is enough to make your head spin as well.

-Xander

I call shenanigans on bolt guns being that much more accurate, ARs have come a long way and people underestimate them a lot.

Savage, Mossberg, Marlin, a lot of companies have went to "quick change" barrels with the barrel nut system if you have the tools and knowledge.

Remington still uses that good ol crush fit method

Bolt actions have a shat ton of aftermarket parts and many companies make a lot of parts for them, but for the average shooter of gun person, they don't ever analyze their bolt action like they do an AR.

Well, a chamber for an auto loader can never be as accurate as a bolt guns. Even "match" grade autos compared to hunter class F/rifles. If any auto loader was as accurate as a bolt gun you would see many more on the line at comps in classes other than service rifle.

1/2 MOA is damn good for even a billet matched set AR with an air guaged barrel and good trigger. Most stock bolt rifles come that way or close to it.

-X

I think M67 was misinterpreting my remarks as disparaging. Not at all....I think our ARs are perfect for the purpose, and for many other purposes as well.
Just commenting on all the stuff available. Applies to many other fields as well. I like "primitive" archery; I make longbows. However, I got a catalogue from a big archery supplier for some bowstring material, and about 2/3rds the catalogue was filled with accessory "bits" for various compound bows. Aftermarket items to improve and customize.

It seems to me that you folks are bit skimpy on accessories.

I think there may be an AR somewhere in this picture. :D

geared_out_AR15.jpg

Well, a chamber for an auto loader can never be as accurate as a bolt guns. Even "match" grade autos compared to hunter class F/rifles. If any auto loader was as accurate as a bolt gun you would see many more on the line at comps in classes other than service rifle.

1/2 MOA is damn good for even a billet matched set AR with an air guaged barrel and good trigger. Most stock bolt rifles come that way or close to it.

-X

You get a lot of "old school" thinking in regards to ARs. People think they're as accurate as an AK and only run 5 rounds without jamming. I know a decent amount of benchrest shooters who use and love ARs and once they get a load dialed in, is as accurate at many of their bolt actions.

Are they Panda actions or tube guns? No. But ARs, like all firearms, have the potential to be pretty damn accurate.

I think M67 was misinterpreting my remarks as disparaging. Not at all....I think our ARs are perfect for the purpose, and for many other purposes as well.
Just commenting on all the stuff available. Applies to many other fields as well. I like "primitive" archery; I make longbows. However, I got a catalogue from a big archery supplier for some bowstring material, and about 2/3rds the catalogue was filled with accessory "bits" for various compound bows. Aftermarket items to improve and customize.

Probably, and if so I apologize. I work with a lot of guys who are 30+ years older than me. All of them are hunters and really have no use for an AR. Hell, one guy thinks .38-40 is a current caliber and isn't a gun without a wood stock and a lever. So I hear a lot about "those damn black guns", which I give mine hell and shoot it and don't clean them and all the other good stuff that makes guns fun. I hear of what a gun can't do a lot, and how they're delicate flowers, while in reality they're durable pieces of machinery that deserve the respect to be used and used hard :D

I also deal with a lot of people who don't comprehend the amount of..."stuff"...out there for firearms, ALL firearms. And I get a lot of people who don't see why rifle rings should cost more than $11 or a scope over $200.

So.......I get highly opinionated in gun threads :)

That being said, my CMMG rep had a little 9mm pistol on him today, just kind of made me warm and fuzzy inside, REALLY makes me want my MPX-9-PSB to come in :eek:

Back