Condor knive & associated? Bushlore!

So when does Condor release the Joezilla Signature Bushlore with jimping, spalted maple burl or textured G-10 with removable handle and matching firesteel that stores underneath? (At the same price as the original, of course).
:D

I have a bushlore. I think the thickness is one of it's strongsuits. I've beat the hell out of it and it comes back for more. Battoning, both with the gran and crosscut are easy. Bought a Nessie today going to try it out.

A lot of conflicting information in this thread. I wonder if this could be because Condor made some changes to the knife and/or sheath over time. Here's what I got about a year ago. I think it's representative of what you'd get today, except the sheath might be black.

Knife and sheath. Notice the scales are more tapered towards the blade than some of the other pics posted here.
DSC_0364b.jpg

Grind. Very steep.
DSC_0367b.jpg

The blade is 3/16" thick, not 5/32"
DSC_0371b.jpg

The sheath is made of thick leather, stitched and riveted. The belt loop is stitched on.
DSC_0372b.jpg

The knife is a snug fir in the sheath. The carry is a little above the belt.
DSC_0381b.jpg

And btw, I have a very simple theory why the grind stops where it does: To leave room for the name/country. They should run those longways.

The grind on your knife Halberdier is much closer to the handle than it was on mine and some others if mine had been like yours I might not have gone to the effort to finish grinding that last section. The factory cutting bevel on my blade stopped at least 3/4 of a inch from the handle.

The grind on your knife Halberdier is much closer to the handle than it was on mine and some others if mine had been like yours I might not have gone to the effort to finish grinding that last section. The factory cutting bevel on my blade stopped at least 3/4 of a inch from the handle.

I have to regrind the blade anyway, so it's only a little more work to get the extra length. I have a 1" belt sander on loan from a friend right now. I'm going to buy 3-4 belts to cover 60-400 grit and just hope this little sander is up to the job. If things move fast enough, I'll go full convex with a moderate taper. If the sander is just too slow, I'll probably settle for a partial convex in the 1/2" range.

Post a pic when your done I would like to do a partial convex on mine and raise the grind height to thin the edge a little. Very tough little knife for the price I split some two year old 3 1/2 inch blackjack with mine for the smoker without causing any blade damage.

Update. I picked up a couple of 80 grit belts and got started on the regrind yesterday. This is the result so far.

303_2409b.jpg

303_2411b.jpg

The convex is still pretty steep, but the slicing ability of the knife is already 100% better. I was planning to go shallower yet, but after testing the edge, I'm going to leave it right here. It's a great cutter now and I like the extra stoutness of the thicker profile.

This is my first time with a bench type belt sander and I can see why all the knife makers use them. It takes a little time to learn the right hand control, but it works really well. I was surprised to how finished looking the blade can be with just 80 grit paper. I plan to go straight to 400 grit next and then a buffing belt with compound. Advice appreciated if you think I should take a different route.

Looking good Hal.

I'm all open to Condor's offerings. Some of them have been less than impressive, but some of their stuff is pretty nice. For $25-30 this doesn't look like a bad project knife, but I don't ever see myself picking one up to use as-is.

It looks to me like Condor is doinf a good job of responding to feedback.

I like that they are producing an inexpensive product that although not perfect, is servicable and a usable tool.

It's also kinda cool that they are making what some would see as a knife that is ripe and ready for modification and personalization.The basics are complete, you finish it to your specifics.

I don't have any yet, but a Varan and a 4" Bushcraft Basic are going to be purchases in the next month or so.

Has anyone bought the updated 2011 model yet? Maybe I'll call newgraham and see if they're carrying them..

Adam04, I have one Condor Golok and I'm really impressed with it and the sheath.. what I find amazing with a lot of people here is, if we stamped these knives with a more familiar 'cultish' brand name I'll bet money we'd have different results.. seems hilarious you can take a typical $6 machete stamp it with an esee logo and its 'GREAT' !!!! I'd trust my life with it etc, but you take that SAME EXACT machete and leave its ORIGINAL manufacturer name on it and its okay, or for some simply junk....

At some point, you guys won't have to finish anything on these Scandis...As of now, they are getting about as sharp as Moras.

As for the cultish comment, those handles ESEE makes are worth every penny INMHO. They are big, have alot of room, and are solid.

I forgot to post the results of my tinkering (crappy webcam):
Photoon2011-03-01at1908.jpg

Photoon2011-03-01at19082.jpg

It came out a little rough but I like it a lot more. I rushed the spine and it's pretty sloppy but gets the job done.
Just smoothing out the handles a little is a vast improvement.

At some point, you guys won't have to finish anything on these Scandis...As of now, they are getting about as sharp as Moras.

As for the cultish comment, those handles ESEE makes are worth every penny INMHO. They are big, have alot of room, and are solid.

Those ESEE scales ARE pretty sweet! They really have to be held to understand. I'm just a little surprised that they had Imacasa leave the spines in "rough-blanked" format instead of rounding them like on the majority of the Condor line.

I forgot to post the results of my tinkering (crappy webcam):
Photoon2011-03-01at1908.jpg

Photoon2011-03-01at19082.jpg

It came out a little rough but I like it a lot more. I rushed the spine and it's pretty sloppy but gets the job done.
Just smoothing out the handles a little is a vast improvement.

Awesome work, dude! Looks like a whole different knife! :cool::thumbup:

I've handled a Bushlore today - man that thing is THICK :O Far too thick for it's size IMHO. The grind was quite thick and not very sharp.I don't think of it as a bushkrafter,maybe a small survival knife is better :)It just seems indestructable.The sheath was of pretty good quality.That's a lot of steel for the money and after some improvig of the gring I think it would be a good outdoors heavy duty tool.

Ranger band. :p

You could probably undo the stitching, peel it apart (its glued as well as stitched) then cut out a little bit of the spacer. Make a firesteel loop out of a small strip of leather the width of the piece you removed. Then re-glue and restitch it. :)

Ranger band. :p

You could probably undo the stitching, peel it apart (its glued as well as stitched) then cut out a little bit of the spacer. Make a firesteel loop out of a small strip of leather the width of the piece you removed. Then re-glue and restitch it. :)

what kind of thread is used for stitching?

Waxed nylon usually. I suggest a stitching awl--really cheap and makes lock-stitching heavy fabrics and leather a breeze.

Back