Condor knive & associated? Bushlore!

I've got one of the new Bushlores and I must say, it's a pretty impressive knife. Not bad at all out of the box. I hit it a bit with a 20 micron belt and it's a beast. Good sheath too. I liked it enough to give the Sapiens and the Hudson Bay a try. I wish I could find a Golok, I'm thinking that would be the ticket for this part of the country.

Yes, the new version (1/8) is worth the money....Highly recommended!

few compare pic for ya:yawn:

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg

IMG_5103.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

Biiiiiiiiiig difference! I think the ol' Bushlore did a few laps and lost a lot of weight! It was a bit too pudgy before! :p

Which one do you prefer?
At what angle did you regrind the old version?

The new version of bushlore 1/8, its ready to be use out of box.
100% anything that you will expect from a good bushcraft knife...you just can beat the price and quality!

But convince people, will be difficult after the mess that condor did with the old version 5/32 of thickness.

To have a utility edge from 5/32 stock, you need to put on a very deep Hollow Ground, convex combination ; Easy to say, not easy to do!

Something like this........................................................... good luck:)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/833260-Hollow-Ground-BT4-Olive-Linen-and-Red-Liners

5548870065_6c3f283896_b.jpg

5549453338_a8281f5edf_b.jpg

The new version of bushlore 1/8, its ready to be use out of box.
100% anything that you will expect from a good bushcraft knife...you just can beat the price and quality!

But convince people, will be difficult after the mess that condor did with the old version 5/32 of thickness.

To have a utility edge from 5/32 stock, you need to put on a very deep Hollow Ground, convex combination ; Easy to say, not easy to do!

Something like this........................................................... good luck:)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/833260-Hollow-Ground-BT4-Olive-Linen-and-Red-Liners

5548870065_6c3f283896_b.jpg

5549453338_a8281f5edf_b.jpg

That's a disgustingly beautiful blade!:thumbup::thumbup:

I modded my Bushlore recently, reground the blade, lengthened the sharpened edge, reshaped the handle and re-handled it in bocote.
I will post pics soon!

On 4/17 I ordered two Bushlore's on Amazon for $17.37 each + $8.50 S+H having read a recent review that seemed to indicate the customer received the 2011 model.

Well, I received one old (1/4" thick) bushlore and one new model! The old version is as terrible as people have made it out to be, but the 2011 version is PERFECT. On my (kitchen) scale (not real accurate) the old version weighs ~9 oz and the new version weights ~ 7oz. The sheaths are superb quality, essentially identical and weight ~3oz each. I won't comment on the old version except to agree with the general consensis that it's too thick, the grind is uneven and too steep and it has the useless ricasso.

Here are my thoughts on the 2011 model. The grind is even and essentially scandi and comes all the way to the handle. Using my calipers, I get a 1/8" spine thickness and a .310 width of grind computing to approx 11.5 degrees per side bevel angle (23 degrees inclusive). The blade is not shaving sharp, but I have no doubt that it will polish up well in no time on my japanese waterstone.

The handle wood is gorgeous and looks like cocobolo to me rather than walnut. I plan to shape a cutout for my thumb on one side of the scales, then sand them down and refinish them as well as beeswax treat the sheath. I will update pics when I finish all this.

Here are some pics:
P1020178.jpg

P1020176.jpg

old_new_bushlore.jpg

(old version on the left, new version on the right (both sides - photoshopped them together to allow comparison)
bushlore_spines.jpg

bushlore_edges.jpg

Yeah, I sanded the handle to my liking and it's 3rd coat of pro-custom oil is drying so hopefully I should be able to get out and try it out this weekend.

That wood sands up beautifully, doesn't it? I've hit it with 1000 grit before and the stuff just shined!

Thanks!
I did attempt a apple-cider-vinegar patina but the Condor steel in general seems fairly resistant to it.
I might yet polish the heck out of it to make it "shiny",lol.
I also put a new handle on my Condor Hudson Bay knife. Gonna slightly mod my Condor Golok as well.
By the way the modded Condor Bushlore has a 4 and 5/16ths cutting edge now! Reducing the grip length allowed for more cutting edge.
I kinda modeled it after my Spyderco Bushcraft knife.

Back