Is the forum slow for anyone else on desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been slow lately for me too, seems to be getting worse. Usually I just get fed up waiting and move on to other things.

I have been getting a lot of the 552 errors and it's been slow on my desktops. I have tried it on different desk tops and it's the same thing. Please fix this.

I'm pretty damn far from an expert, so I could be pissing up the wrong tree, but...

~1300 robots right now, lots of Bing and Google. I'm guessing because people all over the world are searching stuff like "Kershaw Leek" and bladeforum shows up in the search results because Bing and Google or whatever has their robots search the forum for "kershaw leek". Many of the subforums here are visible to the public, which means they show up in search results from outside search engines. Some subforums aren't publicly visible and require registering/logging in to view.

Threads on bladeforums showing up on Google and Bing should be a good thing, since it is, after all, the largest repository of knife information, knowledge, and experience on the internet, and having unrestricted access to that info can only serve to boost membership numbers and adding to the base of knowledge. However, until these server error issues are resolved, perhaps it's worth trying changing all of bladeforums to viewable only to registered and logged-in members. Block the bots and lighten the load on the servers.

I'm pretty damn far from an expert, so I could be pissing up the wrong tree, but...

~1300 robots right now, lots of Bing and Google. I'm guessing because people all over the world are searching stuff like "Kershaw Leek" and bladeforum shows up in the search results because Bing and Google or whatever has their robots search the forum for "kershaw leek". Many of the subforums here are visible to the public, which means they show up in search results from outside search engines. Some subforums aren't publicly visible and require registering/logging in to view.

Threads on bladeforums showing up on Google and Bing should be a good thing, since it is, after all, the largest repository of knife information, knowledge, and experience on the internet, and having unrestricted access to that info can only serve to boost membership numbers and adding to the base of knowledge. However, until these server error issues are resolved, perhaps it's worth trying changing all of bladeforums to viewable only to registered and logged-in members. Block the bots and lighten the load on the servers.

Or are all of the bing and google bots simply part of the ads that show up for non-paying members?

anyone else having issues with the Forum or is it just me? extremely slow to load, like dial up internet.... This is the only site I am having issues with. same with posting, very slow.

Attachments

• 870C89C4-EA15-4CEC-B2B5-67C3A1BF2963.png
    870C89C4-EA15-4CEC-B2B5-67C3A1BF2963.png
    38 KB · Views: 0
anyone else having issues with the Forum or is it just me? extremely slow to load, like dial up internet.... This is the only site I am having issues with. same with posting, very slow.

Web crawlers should be fairly easy to block if the site owner 1) wants to and 2) has that level of access to the servers, but as you note a 100% block would be a mixed blessing because the search engine visibility of BF is fantastic for us here and future knife enthusiasts in general.

In theory, old threads that don't change often/at all should be static content from a web crawler's perspective, and wouldn't need to be indexed as often. And there are ways to map one's own site so that crawlers know which parts to ignore -- but now we're well above my pay grade.

For me, the slowness/error-out issue has gone from an occasional inconvenience to a problem that occurs maybe 2/3 of the time when I try to visit BF. And it's gone on for so long that I find myself visiting BF less often. It's a bummer for sure. :(

Last edited:
I started getting these 522 messages about a month ago. Today I can't even navigate within BF without getting them.
Is anyone else out there getting these error messages? Says my Browser Working, Cloudflare Working, Host Bladeforums.com ERROR.

I'm getting 522 errors more than half the time. This forum has been around for a long time and has grown to be a great repository of information for knife affecionados. Unfortunately, it may only be a matter of time before it is gone because of this issue. Without members to support this site, it will go the way of the dodo bird. I don't want that to happen, but this site unequivocally has had more issues (far more) than any other site I have ever frequented. Just sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back