The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, Pay It Forward possibility discussion thread

I was sad to see the PIF thread closed and thought it would be a good idea to start a discussion about potentially moving forward.. thoughts, suggestions, rules, comments about how we could start anew (and hopefully keep it from devolving).

The PIF crew all moved their operations to a secret offsite forum. Go ask the guys in the Community section for the info on their discussion thread.

Otherwise, I'd like to claim whatever you're offering. I have banked karma, and also have some vouches if my karma's no good here.

Right, unfortunately this is a very public forum and as much as we'd like to keep it neighborly and deal only with people who we know have good intentions; we are after all on the internet.. I do think that we can come close to achieving ideal conditions by setting parameters for participation, that's why I thought we should discuss it. (to be fair I did not read through the end of the thread, as all I saw were a bunch of snarky remarks.

Right, unfortunately this is a very public forum and as much as we'd like to keep it neighborly and deal only with people who we know have good intentions; we are after all on the internet.. I do think that we can come close to achieving ideal conditions by setting parameters for participation, that's why I thought we should discuss it. (to be fair I did not read through the end of the thread, as all I saw were a bunch of snarky remarks.

What are those shoes you're wearing? They look new and expensive. I'd like to claim them, thanks so much brother. Man, this place and you guys are all the best, brothers. I feel real, genuine, friendship and brotherhood with people who are giving me free things.

In return, I'll "PIF" a six year old pair of Wal-Mart pants with the knees split (not to worry, I'll wash them first), two Ozark Trails knives, and this gas station cash-register display flashlight.

All joking aside, how neighborly was that PIF thread, really? Look around. 90% of the people who participated in that jackal swap meet thread don't even participate in GKD now. It's almost as if...almost like...almost like people were just here for free stuff, and not actually concerned with being "neighborly" or participating members of BladeForums.

So odd. Insert animated Captain Kirk meme here.

Understandable but wasn't the premise that the person offering the PIF would value the offered re-PIF before agreeing, where's the breakdown. And what's wrong with growing beyond the small circle that began if people are dealing honestly?

Understandable but wasn't the premise that the person offering the PIF would value the offered re-PIF before agreeing, where's the breakdown. And what's wrong with growing beyond the small circle that began if people are dealing honestly?

It was a few decent guys, and the rest were just a bunch of vultures who don't care about:

- Bladeforums
- The community
- The culture

That's what it became, and that's what they all eventually become. Oddly, this didn't become apparent until I made like, two posts to that effect in that thread, and suddenly the entire thing came unraveled.

I feel like IF there is a good time for another PIF thread, it will and SHOULD be initiated by at least a Gold/Platinum member in good standing.

This is not the time.

It seems as though (at least from the discussion here so far) that the spirit of the thread was lost (responding to kindness by being kind/ generous)

It seems as though (at least from the discussion here so far) that the spirit of the thread was lost (responding to kindness by being kind/ generous)

It wasn’t lost...it became abused.

The abuse was called out by some members not even involved in the thread, and it brought out reactions that showed that it did need closed.

Like I said before...this is not the time for or to discuss a new PIF thread.

Hey … I am fairly new to BF and have no idea what you guys are discussing. Pay-it-Forward sounds nice … how do I get up to speed ?

Back