The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, Pay It Forward possibility discussion thread

So it’s the trolls and ornery vs newfags.. and everyone else here’s cool with that.. got it (brb)

Id respond to this, but Im not sure which catagory I am in...paging Quiet Quiet

If pif threads didn't eventually result in more work for the mods and devolve into good honest but naive people getting taken advantage of, I'd be all in favor of another pif thread!

Not because I'm interested in giving stuff away or getting free stuff, but because it's always fun to watch the "interesting" dynamic play out.

But as it stands. No. Just no....

So it’s the trolls and ornery vs newfags.. and everyone else here’s cool with that.. got it (brb)

Trolls and ornery versus what, again? Care to elaborate further? Also, you'll be right back? I mean, you only post around two hundred times a year (for the four years you've been a member here), so be careful you don't blow all 200 in this one post where you're concerned about getting the neighborly "Free stuff for me" thread going again. :)

Last edited:
The PIF crew all moved their operations to a secret offsite forum. Go ask the guys in the Community section for the info on their discussion thread.

Otherwise, I'd like to claim whatever you're offering. I have banked karma, and also have some vouches if my karma's no good here.

I have some banked karma as well but your couches are always good with me. I may offer something to trade for a few of them.

No matter what rules are in place, all PIF threads will fall apart. I hate to say it but, it’s true. I have seen it time and time again. This last time was extremely brutal.

There will always be some Wolves waiting to attack the group or take advantage of the situation.

I have to agree, it is to soon. I have been considering starting another PIF thread after my birthday in May but, I question the timing.

Some sort of rules or guidelines are a good idea though. Maybe have all discussions of karma as emails or PMs. If karma is even allowed.

Or maybe shipping an item to a person only after they have added to the PIF coffers. For example, I offer an Acme folder and you claim it after you and I come to an agreement as to value. I don’t ship the knife to you until you have actually offered something up in return.

Once you receive an item, it’s yours with no strings attached.
You can sell it, burn it or feed it to your dog. What ever you want.
Or at least have a gentleman’s agreement that you won’t sell it for a set amount of time.

Personally, I think the idea of selling something that I received as a PIF is in poor taste but understand that I have zero control over what happens to an item after I ship it.

Another rule or guideline should be that you acknowledge online when you receive an article in the mail. This should be done as a courtesy. Someone is giving you something for free. It is not going to hurt you to say thanks and let members know the item showed up safe and sound.

I still don’t know if some items I shipped ever made it to their destinations.

Just some ideas.

No matter what rules are in place, all PIF threads will fall apart. I hate to say it but, it’s true. I have seen it time and time again. This last time was extremely brutal.

There will always be some Wolves waiting to attack the group or take advantage of the situation.

I have to agree, it is to soon. I have been considering starting another PIF thread after my birthday in May but, I question the timing.

Some sort of rules or guidelines are a good idea though. Maybe have all discussions of karma as emails or PMs. If karma is even allowed.

Or maybe shipping an item to a person only after they have added to the PIF coffers. For example, I offer an Acme folder and you claim it after you and I come to an agreement as to value. I don’t ship the knife to you until you have actually offered something up in return.

Once you receive an item, it’s yours with no strings attached.
You can sell it, burn it or feed it to your dog. What ever you want.
Or at least have a gentleman’s agreement that you won’t sell it for a set amount of time.

Personally, I think the idea of selling something that I received as a PIF is in poor taste but understand that I have zero control over what happens to an item after I ship it.

Another rule or guideline should be that you acknowledge online when you receive an article in the mail. This should be done as a courtesy. Someone is giving you something for free. It is not going to hurt you to say thanks and let members know the item showed up safe and sound.

I still don’t know if some items I shipped ever made it to their destinations.

Just some ideas.

These are good ideas, however, they really do highlight the need for a name change. It should just be called what it is "Swap Meet Amongst A Select Group of About 15-20 Bladeforums Members Thread". And that's ok.

Paying it forward means that you're putting something up for grabs with no expectation of recompense, and you don't care about value, because you're trying to put some good Karma* out into the universe with no expectations or strings attached. Needing to assess values, and validity of trade items versus what you're offering up....well, if all of the members of that group are starting to put rules in place, then that's a trading thread, which again, is just fine. In a trading thread, there should be rules in place to protect the integrity of the enterprise against low-post-count cockroaches (half of whom managed to poormouth their way into free BlueBar tags) who only joined Bladeforums so they could come skitter into the thread with their hands out like "PLEASE SAH, MAY I HAVE THIS, SAH, THANK YOU SO MUCH BROTHERS AND BEST FRIENDS" and then when the kitchen lights get turned on, those roaches all vanish, hiding under the fridge, never to be seen again.

Personally, I think the Trade-It-Forward thread should be created only after some set rules are in place. BUT, it's not about me, because I didn't participate in past threads, and I damn sure won't be participating in any new ones. Folks are free to do what they want to do. Cockroaches and "ornery" folks alike. :)

* Not banked Karma, sit down Bear guy. LOL

I have some banked karma as well but your couches are always good with me. I may offer something to trade for a few of them.

I said "couches". I assume everyone reading "knew" what I meant and was supposed to be the word "vouches".
You were wrong.
It's also unbelievable that the grammar and/or spelling police are not reading this thread this morning.

I digress.

Quiet's couches are good with me. If we start another PIF thread, I'd like to get one of them. I have a complete set of tacticool knives that includes all the colors of the rainbow from the 37th series. I am the first owner and bought them directly from the dealer at the Exxon station at the entrance to my subdivision. They have only been carried a few times at the mall in my tac vest or battle belt. I'd list them as LNIB.

I said "couches". I assume everyone reading "knew" what I meant and was supposed to be the word "vouches".
You were wrong.
It's also unbelievable that the grammar and/or spelling police are not reading this thread this morning.

I digress.

Quiet's couches are good with me. If we start another PIF thread, I'd like to get one of them. I have a complete set of tacticool knives that includes all the colors of the rainbow from the 37th series. I am the first owner and bought them directly from the dealer at the Exxon station at the entrance to my subdivision. They have only been carried a few times at the mall in my tac vest or battle belt. I'd list them as LNIB.

How many times were they sharpened? I think it's what, what did we decide? Five sharpenings, and only one edge degree reprofile before you aren't allowed to claim LNIB anymore?

How many times were they sharpened? I think it's what, what did we decide? Five sharpenings, and only one edge degree reprofile before you aren't allowed to claim LNIB anymore?

Dammit you're right. I'll change the description from LNIB to "Mint".

If all somebody wants to do is truly pay it forward, and just do something nice without any expectation of reciprocation, why not just start a give-away thread with whatever parameters you want to set for those entering? I realize it won't target a specific person, but we're talking about giving away "free" stuff here. This all seems overly complicated.

I see the title as a question ...

"The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, Pay It Forward possibility??? discussion thread"

after reading the last couple attempts ... the clear answer to "possibility" for a PIF thread ... is a very simple NO!

It is not a true PIF as has been said and rules and values etc. should show that clearly ... if you want to give something away then by all means go for it ... but don't expect to claim something else for it. I have given a few items to people I've met on the forums ... even done a GAW for anyone who wanted a chance to jump in a time or two ... but never expected something in return ... especially karma or vouches.

Quiet Quiet hit it on the head with if you do it then be honest about it and do a "trading thread" ... don't open a thread that is bound for a dung heap from post one.

Most folks wouldn't trade with a member that joined a week ago has 7 posts and no actual input value to the forums ... but open a so called PIF thread and watch those nics come out of thin air ... I wonder why? Is it really that hard to see why this is a really bad idea?

Generosity Brotherhood/Sisterhood Comradery = Good ... PIF thread Karma and Vouches = Bad.

Waiting in the shadows for a new PIF thread,,,
latest

Fine...I will give my thoughts since that is the title of this thread...this is how a PIF thread could go...

Pay-it-forward. Period...nothing expected in return.

However, and yes there is a however...the main issue with PIF threads is that there are a lot of “where did this guy come from?” And that is where it turns to a carnival, con artists and clowns and all.

Pre-curser: When you pay for a membership at Bladeforums more options and possiblities open up...I appreciate this forum and believe that all who take advantage of BF should support the site.

So a basic and only set of rules could be this...

1. Expect absolutely nothing in return

To claim:
2. Budget knives under $40 - must be at least a basic member (6 months in good standing)
3. Knives under $100 - must be a gold member minimum (6 months in good standing)
4. All other knives over $100 - must be a platinum member (at least 6 months in good standing.

5. There is NO karma, vouchers, coupons or food stamps.
6. If you dont want to “give” your knife away for FREE, dont post it in the PIF thread.
7. The owner of said giveaway knife has the right to give to who claims, or refuse...no hard feelings. (Could have changed their mind)
8. Only 1 claim can be made per month per member. You want to wait or claim, up to you.

These are just my thoughts.

As well, and yes an “as well”...the last PIF thread debacle is still fresh in some members minds, and the time for a new one has not yet come.
There were a few good friends of mine being what I would call “harrassed” and there is ABSOLUTELY no place for that in a PIF thread. No name calling, no assumptions, no “you owe me’s”. Just very generous give-aways. No matter how expensive or inexpensive, it is still generosity.

Last edited:
I've made a few jokes and Quiet and I had a few laughs but my real opinion is this:

I didn't participate in the last PIF and I'm glad I didn't. I watched it unfold from the sidelines. It's been said a few times already. If you want to give something away for the joy of our community, then just do a GAW and be done with it. If you want to take your chances at a GAW, then read the rules for it and throw your name in the hat. Simple really.
IIRC, I've participated a few times in GAW's (never won of course) and I know I had at least one that I did myself. I have one I'm doing again when I have time.

A PIF is just that. You do something nice for someone else, such as a gift (be it a knife or anything else) with no expectation of a return to YOU. Some of the time they request to "repay you in kind". Either way, your response is, "You're welcome, just pay it forward".

Here's an example for the new kids. I go to local coffee shops from time to time. I buy a cup of coffee and get a gift certificate for a few bucks. I tell the cashier to give it to the next person that comes in and let them know that their cup of coffee is on me (I'm a stranger they will never see or know) and ask them to kindly pay it forward. I have zero expectations for anything in return. What I received I already got with the feeling that my simple gesture of kindness may have made someone's day. Hopefully they'll "pay it forward" at some point and make someone else's day.
Pay it forward to me is just a random act of kindness to someone else and the only expectation is to do the same for someone else, which I never know if it happened or not.

Rant over.

Back