The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, Pay It Forward possibility discussion thread

Why Gold/Platinum? Are the rest of us second class citizens?

Or, do I dare say it? Are we dishonest in some way?

Lol. I dont think you are dishonest at all. With the rules I thought of...maybe I should have said “a paying member could start a new PIF
thread.”
But... @PirateSeulb hit the nail on the head.
To instil trust in the operator of the thread.

Last edited:
Lol. I dont think you are dishonest at all. With the rules I thought of...maybe I should have said “a paying member could start a new PIF thread.”

I didn’t think so I just couldn’t resist putting that in there.

I was just wondering why it has to be a paying member to start another PIF thread.

I still think it is the wrong time for another try at PIF. I fear that if we start one to early it could kill PIFs for good.

I was just wondering why it has to be a paying member to start another PIF thread.

Mainly because when I think of a non-paying member, I feel as though a majority just want to take advantage of the forum for free. (Some cant afford paying, but that would be a small few.)

So if a non-paying member starts a new PIF thread...im gonna assume that they just want free stuff. And I wont be participating. Plus, as a free forum user, how would they make the rules? Enforce them? They would not be taken too seriously as a rule maker as they dont care to support the forum that they will be claiming free stuff from.

No offense meant, just how I would feel.

Mainly because when I think of a non-paying member, I feel as though a majority just want to take advantage of the forum for free. (Some cant afford paying, but that would be a small few.)

So if a non-paying member starts a new PIF thread...im gonna assume that they just want free stuff. And I wont be participating. Plus, as a free forum user, how would they make the rules? Enforce them? They would not be taken too seriously as a rule maker as they dont care to support the forum that they will be claiming free stuff from.

No offense meant, just how I would feel.

None taken. You have some valid points.

The big problem I had with the PIF thread was people claiming items for others.

If someone claims a knife and then decides to give it to someone else, what's the problem?

One of my offerings was claimed by someone that outright said it probably wouldn't work and would most likely go right back onto the list. Think it shut down before that happened, but didn't bother me at all.

It’s more of the “my uncle’s neighbor’s cousin is deployed....”

If someone claims a knife and then decides to give it to someone else, what's the problem?

One of my offerings was claimed by someone that outright said it probably wouldn't work and would most likely go right back onto the list. Think it shut down before that happened, but didn't bother me at all.
Giving away is fine....... that the spirit of PIF, right?

This thread is a prime example of why it’s way too soon to try a similar thread agin. Too many people have too many different opinions, and a bunch of people are still sore about how the last one ended.

In the beginning, and even well into it, it kept a pretty good sense of community. Yeah, a bunch of items got moved from hand to hand, but I also got to know a bunch of members a lot better than I might have otherwise. Unfortunately, near the end, humans being humans, it started to devolve into something else. A few members tried to take advantage of it, a few others got into squabbles, and everything went down hill to some degree or another.

Quiet Quiet says it was nothing more than a trading thread, but he’s (mostly) wrong. Things didn’t get traded item for item. sabre cat sabre cat says it really was a PIF thread, but thinking back, it wasn’t really. To Quiet, and other’s points, a true PIF would really be with out the intent of something being done in return. We all expected participants to refill the pot.

@Deinos put it perfectly. It was a take-a-penny, leave-a-penny concept at its core. Which is ok, as long as it’s understood by all. No one complains when someone takes 2 or 3 pennies, and occasionally someone will add in a nickels to the plate. Unfortunately, unlike pennies and nickels , we place much more value on things like knives, and the thread goes where it did. People just started talking it much to serious.

LOL I'm "(mostly)" wrong, yet you then made a post saying the same things I said. Got it.

sabre cat sabre cat It isn't lost on me that you don't like my stance on this, which is hilarious, ironic, and hilariously ironic given that you and the others who DID participate can't even seem to agree on rules, and formatting*.

* All of which are needed for a trade thread, but who needs rules when you're just giving things away for free universe karma, right? But no, you guys keep saying I'm wrong. It's ok, everyone who's not you knows who's right here. :)

And guess what, it's not you.

Some of the posts in here prove that people still have hard feelings towards the PIF thread. Proves its not time for another one.
I am one who takes a stance that it was more of a “trade” thread, not a true PIF thread.

If there is another one, I most likely and unfortunately, wont participate.

We have already had a couple of threads that turned nasty, and I feel that if “thoughts on PIF” threads keep popping up every couple months, it keeps animosity fresh and will result in no successful PIF threads being started again.

Also, all my thoughts and feelings are free. No need to post equal value thoughts unless you want to. Also, I’m not trying to bank any Karma here.

ETA: For me personally, the best thing to come from the PIF thread I was cautious to join in the first place, was the few friendships made. That was better than any of the knives I received from very generous members. You know you are. :)

You say it wasn't a trade thread … but then why is it those who PIFed' something then had banked "karma" to be able to claim something else ???

That is not how a pay it forward anything should be … you don't give in expectancy of then getting something back … and of an equal value kind of nonsense. If you want to give something away out of the generosity of your heart then give it away … if you are giving something with the intention of giving it then gives you the right to "claim" something else then that my friend is a trade. It's not rocket science and all the double talk and carrying
on won't change it. IF you claim this you must offer something APPROVED BY THE GIVER … what part of that is a pay it forward ??? The giver was just paying it forward out of the goodness of their heart so why would they need to approve or even care what or if the person offered something ? … do you not get how ridiculous that really is?

IT WAS AND WOULD ALWAYS BE A TRADE THREAD … or there would be no rules no expectations of any sort.

And NO I didn't participate in the PIF thread because it was plain to see just what was going on to anyone that wasn't expecting to gain something from it. And I have no issues with any or everyone that wants to start and participate in a "I have this knife I don't use or want and I will give it away in order to get another of like value" thread but let's stop calling it a pay it forward thread … that was not what it was.

Maybe it was started with good intentions but it just doesn't work as it's intended or stated ... and no amount of rules or guidelines will make it work. If you want a thread to move things you don't want and get others you may want ... or to try new things then make a thread with an appropriate definition and call it what it is and enjoy.

sabre cat sabre cat It isn't lost on me that you don't like my stance on this, which is hilarious, ironic, and hilariously ironic given that you and the others who DID participate can't even seem to agree on rules, and formatting*.

* All of which are needed for a trade thread, but who needs rules when you're just giving things away for free universe karma, right? But no, you guys keep saying I'm wrong. It's ok, everyone who's not you knows who's right here. :)

And guess what, it's not you.

Life would be boring if we all agreed on everything.

By my standards it was not a swap-meet. You disagree and that is fine with me.

I have to admit that it also was not a true 100% PIF.

There were some members that did not expect anything in return for their offerings. I would say that was a PIF situation.

Others expected that you must put something up if you claim an item. If you claim my offering but I don’t gain anything from what you offer, I just don’t see that as a swap-meet.

Maybe a swap-meet hybrid. How about that?

The one thing that ended up ruining things was the whole “karma” mess. That is something that we can agree on, isn’t it?

You say it wasn't a trade thread … but then why is it those who PIFed' something then had banked "karma" to be able to claim something else ???...

You make an excellent argument with your above comment and I have to agree when it is stated in these terms.

However, karma was not something that the PIF thread included at the start. Also, I don’t remember karma like this in any other PIF thread that I have been in. Maybe that is what kills PIFs.

It is obvious to me that banked karma would be counterproductive to any type of pay it forward thread.

sabre cat sabre cat It isn't lost on me that you don't like my stance on this, which is hilarious, ironic, and hilariously ironic given that you and the others who DID participate can't even seem to agree on rules...

I won’t go that far. Let’s just say I don’t agree with all your points.

As far as “everyone” having the opinion that I am incorrect and you are right... I am sure that some forum members can see my point of view and might even agree with some of it.

Using the term “everyone” is so absolute and black and white.

Last edited:
Back