What Kukri would you take if you were going to war?

Sounds like fun Scara, I will have to look those up and see if I can afford it. Feral hogs from a chopper with a fully-auto. By the way AR-15s are never fully auto they just can't be, with the supposed exception of a very few original PSA lower receivers that are just as likely urban myth as reality, the inside specs on AR-15 lowers is the wrong size for the fully auto parts, the sear specifically, from the M-16 to fit into.

Sounds like a win/win/win business plan to me!

Sounds like fun Scara, I will have to look those up and see if I can afford it. Feral hogs from a chopper with a fully-auto. By the way AR-15s are never fully auto they just can't be, with the supposed exception of a very few original PSA lower receivers that are just as likely urban myth as reality, the inside specs on AR-15 lowers is the wrong size for the fully auto parts, the sear specifically, from the M-16 to fit into.

Sounds like a win/win/win business plan to me!

They're AR pattern rifles. Though the whole matter of if ARs can be full-auto is sticky. The original rifle pitched to the US military was designated the AR-15, and was full-auto. Many of these rifles were given to advisors in Vietnam pre-1965. This was before the official adoption of the M16, which had substantive differences from the original AR-15s. Then there are the AR-15 rifles that are built for LE use and such, which aren't M16s because they aren't in use by the US military, and differ from the military specification. Then of course you have the plain old civilian ARs that are built such that they are not convertible to full-auto. I don't know exactly what the hog hunters use, but I have seen videos of some of them firing full-auto. They may have been using registered pre-1986 lowers with modern parts.

Word of warning, it is expensive.

I have 6 full auto M16's in my armory. Received from the Feds unissued from about 67 or 68.
Most of the officers prefer the little M4 carbines over the M16. They think it's better in close quarters. I told em the Glock is for close quarters, the M16 is to keep em at a distance. Go figure.

Shavru, if the ca ca ever hits the fan, come on up, I'll get you one. Won't be legal of course for you or I but when that day comes legal might not be terribly important.

I have 6 full auto M16's in my armory. Received from the Feds unissued from about 67 or 68.
Most of the officers prefer the little M4 carbines over the M16. They think it's better in close quarters. I told em the Glock is for close quarters, the M16 is to keep em at a distance. Go figure.

Shavru, if the ca ca ever hits the fan, come on up, I'll get you one. Won't be legal of course for you or I but when that day comes legal might not be terribly important.
The M4 is actually a pretty slick rig for the cartridge as long as it's limitations are recognized. Inside 175m or so it works just fine, and since law enforcement aren't limited to ball ammo I think you might be able to push that out a ways-certainly hitting is easy way past that.
5.56 also overpenetrates less in buildings than a lot of service (read 9mm especially) pistol rounds because it breaks up and/or deflects far more readily due to velocity.
A fullsize m16 is a bummer indoors or in a vehicle...

I've always considered the 5.56/223 rather anemic similar to the 9mm. Some of our officer are actually advocating giving up our 45's and going back to 9's. Idiots. They want more rounds, more accuracy they claim.
Most are already carrying 3 13rd G21 mags on their belt, that seems like plenty of booolits to me especially since a back up is never more than a couple minutes away, town ain't that big.

I'm an M14 / M1Garand / 1911 dude myself. Wider bullets, better chance of a hit on the barn door from inside.

I've swapped out all the sears to make these semi auto, really no place for full auto in LE, we mostly use them for spares or when we have more officers than rifles. They are a blast to play with in the full auto mode though. I of course still have all the stuff to put them back.

I've always considered the 5.56/223 rather anemic similar to the 9mm. Some of our officer are actually advocating giving up our 45's and going back to 9's. Idiots. They want more rounds, more accuracy they claim.
Most are already carrying 3 13rd G21 mags on their belt, that seems like plenty of booolits to me especially since a back up is never more than a couple minutes away, town ain't that big.

Reminds me of the time I went shooting with a friend. There's a public range near here that has some dueling trees, and I'd lost the grease for my SIG, so I used my 1911 instead. So it ended up being my friend and I at the dueling tree, both of us with 1911s. I think his was the Remington R1. We spent quite some time there, I was the better shot of the two of us, but it was fairly close, though I did have some fantastic streaks, like the time I switched over the whole tree with one string, while my friend was saying "stop it!". As we were policing our brass one of the RSOs came up and asked what caliber and all that, and helped us find our brass. He was so pleased to see a pair of young guys shooting .45. He was so very disappointed to learn that my carry gun is a 9mm.

Reminds me of the time I went shooting with a friend. There's a public range near here that has some dueling trees, and I'd lost the grease for my SIG, so I used my 1911 instead. So it ended up being my friend and I at the dueling tree, both of us with 1911s. I think his was the Remington R1. We spent quite some time there, I was the better shot of the two of us, but it was fairly close, though I did have some fantastic streaks, like the time I switched over the whole tree with one string, while my friend was saying "stop it!". As we were policing our brass one of the RSOs came up and asked what caliber and all that, and helped us find our brass. He was so pleased to see a pair of young guys shooting .45. He was so very disappointed to learn that my carry gun is a 9mm.

Yes, the .45acp fetish runs strong amongst us geezers.

I hear that! I'm 35, and a confirmed 1911 freak! I love the smiles and nods I get from some of the older guys when they see what I'm shooting at the range!

I hear that! I'm 35, and a confirmed 1911 freak! I love the smiles and nods I get from some of the older guys when they see what I'm shooting at the range!

I had my first 1911 at twelve years old. It was a different era. It was an Argentinian Sistema Colt, all matching serial numbers including the clip. I still remember the four digit number. Shot it loose twice and had it serviced. Wish I still had it. A tradesman stole it during a remodel.

Lol...full auto sounds like it would be cool for about five minutes. About as long as it would take me to realize that I'm the one paying for the ammo. :eek:

I'm another dyed in the wool 1911 fan. This one is perhaps my most treasured possession in the entire world. It was a gift from my then girlfriend, now wife, when we got engaged. That meant more to me than she knows, as she was a bit anti when we were younger.

Lol...full auto sounds like it would be cool for about five minutes. About as long as it would take me to realize that I'm the one paying for the ammo. :eek:

I'm another dyed in the wool 1911 fan. This one is perhaps my most treasured possession in the entire world. It was a gift from my then girlfriend, now wife, when we got engaged. That meant more to me than she knows, as she was a bit anti when we were younger.

Awesome story, she's certainly a keeper!

I'm in my late 40's, and was a 1911 guy for 30 years-still am, but with modern hp's 9'll do just fine (and I have an obscene amount of rounds downrange through g19's). 5.56 is similar-with the right projectile it's bad news.

First I heard of 262mod0 was an engagement in Afghan I read about-two ODA guys with scoped A4's and 262mod0 (77gr OTM w/cannelure) fired 77 rounds between 30m and 400m, covering a medevac. Result:75 bodies. That's pretty good for any caliber.

While I admit the .45acp is my preferred handgun defense round, I've never met a cartridge I didn't like. If it goes bang, I like it. I have many 9mm's of various makes. My favorites are the Sig 210's and Browning HP's. I'm just a sucker for blue steel and walnut.

LOL, And Bigbore and I have ANOTHER commonality... I might have to check with my subconscious and see if you are just an alternate ID I created while I was sleep typing or something. No way someone has that many similarities to my own preferences :D Even my husband doesn't have that close a match!

my Hi Power Detective is my absolute second favorite pistol to my 1911. And I have NEVER met a pistol I wouldn't take to a range if someone offered and I am even talking rohms and jennings I just enjoy shooting everything. And my summer edc these days is a Sig P250 that I have the 9mm sub-compact and the full size .45 options with. Not my favorite trigger of everything I have but I shoot the gun really well in both cartridges so I got it when I started having troubles with my hand strength to rack some of the other choices.

LOL, And Bigbore and I have ANOTHER commonality... I might have to check with my subconscious and see if you are just an alternate ID I created while I was sleep typing or something. No way someone has that many similarities to my own preferences :D Even my husband doesn't have that close a match!

my Hi Power Detective is my absolute second favorite pistol to my 1911. And I have NEVER met a pistol I wouldn't take to a range if someone offered and I am even talking rohms and jennings I just enjoy shooting everything. And my summer edc these days is a Sig P250 that I have the 9mm sub-compact and the full size .45 options with. Not my favorite trigger of everything I have but I shoot the gun really well in both cartridges so I got it when I started having troubles with my hand strength to rack some of the other choices.

I'm not a big fan of the P250 trigger either. I've shot it once, and it was okay, not awful, but nothing special. I've dry-fired its successor, the striker-fired modular P320 and it has a good trigger. I really like my P6, especially once I replaced the mainspring with a lighter mainspring. The West German polizei wanted to use submachine gun ammo with it, so it had a really heavy spring. Now the trigger pull is quite manageable.

I really like my P6, especially once I replaced the mainspring with a lighter mainspring. The West German polizei wanted to use submachine gun ammo with it, so it had a really heavy spring. Now the trigger pull is quite manageable.

Hi Scara,

Do you know any current source for SIG P6 parts? My son has one, but the extractor broke, and he hasn't been able to find a replacement extractor for it. Also, if you know a source for the replacement springs you mention, that would also be helpful.

-Bob B.

For springs look here. There products are first rate and will make any spring you want if need be. When I was a dealer I ordered direct and received a discount. Now, I use their site to determine what I need and get them from Brownells or Miday for a discount.

https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG-SAUER (SIGARMS)/P-225, P-228, P-229/cID1/mID4/dID253

Either may carry the extractors as well. I know you didn't ask me but did of Scara. He may have better avenues of procurement of needed items.

Back