What Kukri would you take if you were going to war?

Hi Scara,

Do you know any current source for SIG P6 parts? My son has one, but the extractor broke, and he hasn't been able to find a replacement extractor for it. Also, if you know a source for the replacement springs you mention, that would also be helpful.

-Bob B.

The springs can be had at these sites: http://www.topgunsupply.com/gun-parts/sig-sauer-parts/shop-sig-sauer-gun-parts-by-model/sig-sauer-p225-gun-parts.html?sort_direction=1 or https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG-SAUER%20%28SIGARMS%29/P-225,%20P-228,%20P-229/cID1/mID4/dID253#295

Make sure you don't get the plastic base ones, as they are for newer SIGs. Also make sure that you get the hammer springs and not any others. I put the 19 pound spring in my SIG, as the older designs require a somewhat heavier spring than the newer ones because the newer designs have better leverage. I don't think that it would be overly problematic to use say the 16 pound spring, but I went with the 19 pounder. You can always buy the pack to experiment. Just be aware that switching out the springs is in my opinion a two-person job. Also, when he does switch them out, he should be aware that there's a spot where it feels like the mainspring arm goes when he reinserts it, and the place where it actually goes is a little further back. I actually have the 16, 17, and 18 pound springs on hand still. If you want I can ship them to you, though I am very busy right now, and it could be a while before I can get to it. You can also find other SIG P225 parts at http://www.topgunsupply.com/gun-parts/sig-sauer-parts/shop-sig-sauer-gun-parts-by-model/sig-sauer-p225-gun-parts.html?sort_direction=1. They have the extractor listed, though it's out of stock. You can always sign up for notifications, or you can email and ask if they expect to have them and when.

One great resource is SigForum. You or your son can go there and ask questions, and Bruce Gray of Grayguns is known to step in and offer advice or help. He likes the P225, and he and his shop are great at working on SIGs.

For springs look here. There products are first rate and will make any spring you want if need be. When I was a dealer I ordered direct and received a discount. Now, I use their site to determine what I need and get them from Brownells or Miday for a discount.

https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG-SAUER (SIGARMS)/P-225, P-228, P-229/cID1/mID4/dID253

Either may carry the extractors as well. I know you didn't ask me but did of Scara. He may have better avenues of procurement of needed items.

I'll echo what Bigbore577 said. Brownells and Midway USA often have these things for cheaper. I believe I found a factory mainspring on Brownells, which I think is a 21 pounder, while the stock mainspring for the P6 is 28 pounds. The only place I know of that lists an extractor however is Top Gun Supply, and they're out of stock.

Hi Scara,

Do you know any current source for SIG P6 parts? My son has one, but the extractor broke, and he hasn't been able to find a replacement extractor for it. Also, if you know a source for the replacement springs you mention, that would also be helpful.

-Bob B.
If that's the same as the 225, they're making it and distributing it in the states-perhaps the parts would fit

If that's the same as the 225, they're making it and distributing it in the states-perhaps the parts would fit

The P6 was the P225 in West German police service. The new P225A1 is notably different however. For one, the P225A1 has a short external extractor, while the P225/P6 had an internal extractor. They've also put a shorter slide and barrel on this new one, it uses the new mainspring setup, and they've rounded off the trigger guard.

The differences between the P225 and P6 were that the P6 had a heavier mainspring, the feed ramp until 1989 was not cut for hollowpoints, and they put a spur in the hammer, which they called the deformation spur, so if it was ever dropped on the hammer the armorer would know. The P6 also had plain iron sights instead of white dots or night sights.

Shavru, if the ca ca ever hits the fan, come on up, I'll get you one. Won't be legal of course for you or I but when that day comes legal might not be terribly important.

Hun the only time I would ever risk your reputation like that would mean there wasn't any functional law enforcement left to worry about the legalities. What a sight that would be, the pair of us stumping and rollin' and CLANKING along with a couple of M16s in our hands, our SR1911s one one side and some HI heavy metal on the other side... Unfortunately in that sort of situation my plan is to head to the basement and board up the windows and doors and hunker down until the majority of the morons kill each other off. But if I happen to be North of my home range when things go nuts, well comic book heroes would have nothing on us :D

Good plan, I don't have a basement but been thinking about building one.

If it comes to this I have a pickup load of ammo for them too, not mine of course but I have the only key, one less thing to think about.

Thread drift....as far as the eye can see.......

But I guess that is the whole point in the Cantina....

Fun discussion. I would take the only Khukri I have that is war worthy-ish

Bussey KZII. I would thin the main grind out a bit to give it some distal taper towards the point, but it would do.

I have a forged Khukri, with a guard, but it is not pointy, and is not as fighting fit. I had to sand the handle down to make it smaller than the business end of a baseball bat.

Because pics!

Here it has just gone to war with a watermelon, an insidious enemy.

I'd love to have a long leaf style HI khukri with a thinner blade and distal taper.

Last edited:
Gotta be careful with those insidious watermelons...or was that seedless watermelons. I find I can't turn my back on a single one of 'em without it up and sneaking away...strange that my husband always seems to be washing his hands and face after the perpetrator escapes...they must hit him hard as they are fleeing the scene :D

a Long Leaf Style khuk, hmm What would HI's closest model be to a Long Leaf. Guys, I know there has to be a discussion somewhere of what is the most comparable model to the AC Long Leaf tagged ones. And Yes, I realize that AC just grabbed a bunch of similarISH khuks and marketed them all as "Long Leaf" so I guess what I mean is the average of what got sent to most people who bought one.

To me one of Thamars tin chirra's would be very close to a long leaf.

Actually my Thamar Curved spine isn't too far off either, perhaps a bit more curve.

The blade thickness and handles are just as they should be. Their efforts to appease ham fisted westerners makes it tough for us folks with normal size hands.

To me one of Thamars tin chirra's would be very close to a long leaf.

Actually my Thamar Curved spine isn't too far off either, perhaps a bit more curve.

The blade thickness and handles are just as they should be. Their efforts to appease ham fisted westerners makes it tough for us folks with normal size hands.

I have a Thamar 3 (can't remember the Nepali word) chirra that I just dui-chirrafied-I agree with you about the longleafiness. Can't say what changed but it has more life to it now.

JW, Tin Chirra would be the one you're thinkin of. And what exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean you removed a fuller or what?? Pix?

JW, Tin Chirra would be the one you're thinkin of. And what exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean you removed a fuller or what?? Pix?

Story goes, I got it in a trade and love the size and profile but the three fullers were not doin' it for me.
Since I liked it and didn't want to go through selling it and getting a dui or a single, I opened out the two edge fullers into a wide fuller:
Here's the before shot:
I want to emphasize that there was absolutely nothing amiss with the knife at all-it's just easier for me to mod stuff than try to get another

I don't understand all this Watermelon compulsion. I find Cantaloupe and those most elusive Musk Melons to be far more wary prey.

JW that's absolutely awesome and surprisingly similar to what I had in my head. Agreed that there was nothing wrong before, and DEFINITELY agreed that it's better now. I bet it feels phenomenal. That's what I'd like my Dui to look like, but there's no way I could do that, skill-wise. That is one drool-worthy Dui to say the least.

Scara & BigBore577, thanks for the info on SIG P6 part sources - I will pass the information along to my son. He really likes his P6 and wants to get it up & running again.

In my younger days, I could shoulder 21 foot lengths of Schedule 40 Std wall pipe weighing 210lbs each for a good part of a day loading trucks. Now I could puke just thinking about it. I met fitters that could carry the same and step over a 3 foot tall footing without losing stride. I also witnessed fitters that could shoulder a a 6" 150# class Cast Iron flanged gate valve and climb a ladder. I have the utmost respect for our military and support them more than most. Old school necessity made men and women tough as well, not just the military. This is not meant to be a peeing match, I guess I'm just stating the obvious at least about the private sector. Americans have become weak in both mind and body for the most part, present company excluded, end of my rant.
Union Structural Ironworker here. I know what you mean. [emoji106] [emoji109]

Scara & BigBore577, thanks for the info on SIG P6 part sources - I will pass the information along to my son. He really likes his P6 and wants to get it up & running again.

As a P6 owner I understand completely, and I'm glad I could help.

At my age, I'm not going to war. Glad of it, too. If it hits the fan, I'm going to hunker down until the stupidity subsides.
I'm not Rambo, nor do I have any aspirations to be.

If I had to pick a khukuri to take to war I'd probably take my Thamar Mk. 1 pattern khukuri. 19", 24 oz (if I remember right). Enough of a belly to chop, light enough to not wear you down. It'd be followed closely by my KLVUK. (The chopping was done with an axe, not the khuks).
EA5D21C5-AB74-41C7-B752-B66BBF54A284.jpg

2C0FBE37-9F65-4CEE-8160-C0F96AFF8350_1.jpg

90206F5C-943E-4833-B683-D410A93C6998.jpg

B11842C7-CF48-44BC-B70D-EABF7E1106D7.jpg

70073237-BEB3-4037-899E-9F39EB20819A.jpg

I don't understand all this Watermelon compulsion. I find Cantaloupe and those most elusive Musk Melons to be far more wary prey.

if you really want some fun, have someone throw some apples at you. they don't hurt near as much as melons if you miss your cut. :)

Back