0600 lockbar insert - how to remove?

I'm taking apart my 0600 to do a cerakote coating on the scales and can't figure out how to remove the lockbar insert. I've removed the locking screw but it won't budge and looks to be held in place by 2 pins. I didn't want to break it so thought I'd turn here for help. Anyone know how to get it off? Should I just pry and wiggle it off or is there an easier way?:confused:

I'm taking apart my 0600 to do a cerakote coating on the scales and can't figure out how to remove the lockbar insert. I've removed the locking screw but it won't budge and looks to be held in place by 2 pins. I didn't want to break it so thought I'd turn here for help. Anyone know how to get it off? Should I just pry and wiggle it off or is there an easier way?:confused:
YOU'RE GOING TO DO WHAT????????????????????
:eek:

Cerakoting a 0600 isn't a "pimp-job" man, that's essentially ruining it. It's 3D machined and textured titanium and carbon fiber, what on Earth do you think you're going to improve with some spray paint? Come on man, please don't do it.

As for the lock insert, while it's held on by a retention screw, it's also press-fit in. I asked Jim about it, and he advised against trying to remove as you could damage something. The context of the question was in terms of the lock wearing along with the detent ball, which is set in the titanium. He said that it would be best for the factory to remove the insert, as they have the right tools to remove and replace it properly.

:thumbup: well I do have 2 so one is getting a pimp-job :) whats the big deal? :cool:

If I had two TiLT's I wouldn't F-word one up because I have a second one. Essentially you're taking someone's hard work, and taking a "you know what" on it.

As much as oppose this Cerakote-ing, why not just leave it on and mask off the lockface? If you do, do this, please don't mess up! And give us pics afterwards. Just got mine out of the box an hour ago:)

Cerakoting a 0600 isn't a "pimp-job" man, that's essentially ruining it. It's 3D machined and textured titanium and carbon fiber, what on Earth do you think you're going to improve with some spray paint? Come on man, please don't do it.

As for the lock insert, while it's held on by a retention screw, it's also press-fit in. I asked Jim about it, and he advised against trying to remove as you could damage something. The context of the question was in terms of the lock wearing along with the detent ball, which is set in the titanium. He said that it would be best for the factory to remove the insert, as they have the right tools to remove and replace it properly.

Thank you! This is exactly the answer I was looking for. I better not try and remove it on my own.

As for the "spray paint" ruining it, I'll respectfully disagree. I'm not going to do the CF insert, just the TI scales and I think it will turn out very nice. I got the idea after seeing someone do it to the TI scale of the 0560 - also textured TI - and it came out great. I definitely appreciate the original design but as I said, I have the good fortune of owning 2 of the knives and I want to try and make it just a bit more to my liking. Thanks for the input though!

If I had two TiLT's I wouldn't F-word one up because I have a second one. Essentially you're taking someone's hard work, and taking a "you know what" on it.

Hahaha! We'll see about that. I don't exactly see it that way but I'll do my best to avoid making it look like a turd. :thumbup:

Why don't you instead heat anodize it? Gives a much more character and flair than spray painting it.
IMHO cerakoting is something you do to a beaten up knife, to try and make it look better.

As much as oppose this Cerakote-ing, why not just leave it on and mask off the lockface? If you do, do this, please don't mess up! And give us pics afterwards. Just got mine out of the box an hour ago:)

^^^yep that's the plan. and yes pics will follow, though I may not get around to it for a few weeks.

I realize the majority of the people disagree with cerakoting the Ti, and I do too, but it's his knife and he's entitled to do what he wants with it. He doesn't tell us what to do with our knives, so we shouldn't tell him what to do with his.

:)

^^^ that's the plan.

Are you set on black?
Because personally, I think it would look sweet anodized blue, or bronze.

Like this bronze

grimsmo-norseman01.jpg

Or this blue

DSC_0587_1024x768.jpg

Are you set on black?
Because personally, I think it would look sweet anodized blue, or bronze.

Like this bronze

grimsmo-norseman01.jpg

No doubt, that bronzed Grimsmo is a beauty. We'll see what unfolds. Definitely food for thought. :thumbup:

I've had 4Forbush cerakote a few things for me and he does a fantastic job. He does the cerakote for a certain knifemaker's blades, so he has a lot of experience doing it. I had him do a few shotgun barrels for me and also two Emerson titanium framelock conversions that I wanted to be black. It's held up very well. He also can do anodizing.

Back