0600 lockbar insert - how to remove?

I can't wait to see pics of this thing. I never thought the 0600 was particularly pretty, plus I love the way Cerakote feels and the grip it provides without being too abrasive.

And above all, the 0600 is a good design to be used and carried. Use the thing!

sounds like it might look pretty good, i'll hold my judgement till I see pics, the finish on the Ti is nice on that knife, so I'm curious to see how dramatic the change will be. Good luck and keep us posted!

Go for it! It's your knife after all. Post pics when you're done, and I hope it comes out great.

My grandmother once received a collection of German crystal wheat made of blown glass with beards about two feet long set in a glass vase of the same material. She got a can of gold spray paint and went to town. Didn't quite look the same afterward but she spray-painted everything gold, even matchboxes. I think it was because she grew up in the 1890s when everything that glittered was gold.

If I had an extra 0600 and wanted to get crazy I'd flatten the texturing just a bit, oxy darken the Ti and lightly stonewash it. Then acid/stonewash the blade.

Why don't you instead heat anodize it? Gives a much more character and flair than spray painting it.
IMHO cerakoting is something you do to a beaten up knife, to try and make it look better.

If he goes this route he would be best served even more by removing the lockbar insert. Those lock bar inserts are hardened. If it takes a torch to it that amount of heat is going to destroy that heat treat. I personally wouldnt muck with such a limited knife but I pimp knives all the time and im sure Ive modded some knives others wanted to string me up for.

If he goes this route he would be best served even more by removing the lockbar insert. Those lock bar inserts are hardened. If it takes a torch to it that amount of heat is going to destroy that heat treat. I personally wouldnt muck with such a limited knife but I pimp knives all the time and im sure Ive modded some knives others wanted to string me up for.

I thought I remember hearing somewhere that the temperature needed to anodize it wouldn't affect the heat treat.

If I had an extra 0600 and wanted to get crazy I'd flatten the texturing just a bit, oxy darken the Ti and lightly stonewash it. Then acid/stonewash the blade.

My buddy asked me to do just that to his 0600 the other day. I have been mulling it over, but its in a different league to the 0550s and 0560s i have been doing.

I thought I remember hearing somewhere that the temperature needed to anodize it wouldn't affect the heat treat.

anodizing with electricity wont generate heat to effect heat treatment. You were recommending heat anodizing. When you color with a torch the titanium gets so hot it glows between a dull red and a bright orange getting final colors ranging between bronze/yellow up to a baby blue. I dont think you can get a green with a propane torch. Anything past pale straw yellow and the heat treat would be toast.

He is referring to heat anodizing with a torch, like on a Strider, not electrical anodizing.

Correct

Using heat/flame to color titanium is then, by definition, not anodizing.

'tis true, but "heat anodization" is still the most popular way of phrasing it, technically incorrect or not.
By the way, check out what a properly programmed laser can do to titanium.
I have never seen such intricacy on titanium.
Wave_RUGUR_5-1-09.jpg

Reproduction of "The Great Wave off Kanagawa" by Katsushika Hokusai c. 1829–32, Laser-anodized onto 6/4 titanium by Rob Rugur 5-1-09
Actual Size - 3.5" Wide

Using heat/flame to color titanium is then, by definition, not anodizing.

Technecally yes but is anodizing Ti really ever true anodizing? No dye is ever used and the end result is the same. You build up an oxide layer of titanium that is technically colorless. Its thickness determines how light it refracted and what color your eye will see without ever using pigment. People have called it heat coloring, torching, flaming. I figure as long as we all know what we are talking about we can call it incineration coloration for all I care, lol.

If you want to modify your blade then rock on, you paid for it and it's yours to thrash or change however you see fit. I hope it turns out well for you and is everything you want. If not, you can always get it redone or buy another. It all comes down to money after all.

Post pics when it's all done. There is sure to be some discord among the enthusiasts, but oh well. If anyone is going to get all bent out of shape it should be the guys who designed and built the 0600; but you'll never see them come and bash on someone's changes to their designs.

Back