105 (now 106) GEC Giveaway - A Counting Game - WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by btb01, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Great song, Gary. I read somewhere that the county I live in (Nueces) is the biggest producer of cotton in the country. Maybe the world? Dunno. A nearby town's high school football team is called the Robstown Cottonpickers. But I never picked cotton....

2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    This was a lot of fun, but glad we finally reached our goal. :D

3. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Really like this one! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
    I'll have to work on a systematic way to count triangles in the diagram. A quick (and possibly inaccurate) count had me at 61, and I hadn't even counted "upside down" triangles!

- GT

4. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I came up with 77. Wonder where I missed one at?

Sharp & Fiery, chuck4570 and btb01 like this.
  5. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Not intentionally, in any case!

Don't go inventing the wheel!

Unfortunately, I can't tell. :rolleyes:

chuck4570, Rookie82 and Prester John like this.
  6. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I do the same lesson in my Pre Algebra class except I use squares.

7. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Over my head. I still don't know why I had to take those algebra classes! :mad:;)

Sharp & Fiery and chuck4570 like this.
  8. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    It teaches your brain how to do hard stuff.
    Even if you never use it again, the strength in your brain remains.
    I also do a lesson on this in my Algebra classes, quoting research on building and connecting pathways in your brain.

9. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

But first...

How about some more numbers? :D

Over a period of 21 days, we had 308 game-participating posts, which contained a total of 15,067 things, items, units of measurement, etc. :eek:

There were 43 participants in the game (including myself), 34 of whom entered for the giveaway. 15 of you earned additional entries for participating after the rule change, and 7 people were nominated for entry by another member, for a total of 56 entries in the drawing.

Here are our top 9 participants, who contributed at least 10 posts each.

1. @5K Qs: 35 posts
    2. @JohnDF: 29 posts
    3. @Prester John: 28 posts
    4. @SnailOffTheTrail: 22 posts
    5. @Will Power: 22 posts
    6. @TexasTomcat:21 posts
    7. @JTB_5: 20 posts
    8. @eisman: 10 posts
    9. @Rookie82: 10 posts

(I was number 10, with 8 posts.)

This morning I wrote all 56 entries out on small pieces of dot grid paper, each of which consisted of 48 grid squares, for a total of 2,688 grid squares. :rolleyes: :D

[​IMG]

I then folded each of the 56 entries and dropped them into 1 hat. (The pattern on the band of the hat is repeated 28 times.)

I enlisted the help of my official-giveaway-drawing-assistant, Eleanor, who recently turned 4 years old.

[​IMG]

She rustled around in the hat a few times, mixing up the entries...

[​IMG]

...and pulled 1 winner!

[​IMG]

Congrats @Half/Stop (Ron)!!! I'll send you a PM here shortly. :thumbsup:

Thanks again to everyone for participating, this really was a lot of fun! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  10. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2017
    Congrats Ron! Great giveaway, it was fun to see all the unique thought processes for entry!

chuck4570 and Half/Stop like this.
  11. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Guy in video claims 27 total facing up and down by size. He somehow gets a bunch more when he uses that Swahili to me "n" stuff, with the same number of little triangles.
    I still don't understand how a person could have two bank accounts, each with a negative $1200 balance, combine the two (-1200 plus -1200) and wind up with $2400 to the good in the bank. That makes no cents to me.
    (Yes. I got the test question "8-x=20" wrong. My answer was: "Impossible. That would be like going to the store with $8, spending all $8 and have $20 (plus the merchandise you bought) when you leave."

Edit: Is "Two negatives equal a positive." how governments and big corporations balance the books/budget?)

12. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Lovely assistant and brilliant summary of the game! I was thinking to bother you with a request of some statistics and here it comes on its own!

Congratulations to the winner and applause to all the participants. :thumbsup:

chuck4570, btb01 and Half/Stop like this.
  13. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Wow, now we're getting into some serious philosophical stuff. All I can say is, that if you combine -12000 and -12000 (-12000 plus -12000) you end up with -24000. You need to multiply the negative numbers to get positive.

chuck4570 likes this.
  14. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    Congrats Ron.

So that you can help your kids with their algebra homework? o_O

Life is a circle...

chuck4570, JohnDF, Half/Stop and 2 others like this.
  15. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Thanks for the game!!

chuck4570 and btb01 like this.
  16. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Way to go Half Stop!

17. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Nice one Ron!:cool::thumbsup: A fine yet modest Gent, very pleased for you.

Lot of work organising this Barrett and I'm glad you got a peerless judge to do the drawing :thumbsup:

Would have hoped more people had taken part, but perhaps they got put off by us old sweats dominating it with multiple posts...hope not. If I ever hold a GAW again (outta ideas...but not knives) I might set a MAXIMUM participation bar ;):D

18. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Well done @Half/Stop! Beautiful knife you just won. :thumbsup:

Good job for the OP for making this thread. :)

19. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Wow Barrett! :cool: What an absolutely wonderful surprise. I looked this morning while I was logged on to see if a winner had been drawn yet. I have been the fortunate winner of several GAWs on the Porch over the years, but this one is extra special. I haven’t entered many GAWs lately, but this one just seemed too interesting to pass up. I’m glad I chose to participate because seeing that special young lady holding Half/Stop in her hands is priceless. :D Please give her a big hug and tell her thank you for me Barrett. I responded to your PM with the requested info. It was a fun and very successful GAW. There was probably more participation than we’ve had in along time. I’ll show the beaver here when I get it. Thanks again Barrett. :) :thumbsup:

20. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Congratulations, Ron! Awesome knife, and very generous giveaway. A big thanks to Barrett. That was fun! :cool::thumbsup: