110 vs.112

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by stevekolt, Feb 26, 2020.

Which is your favorite EDC...

1. 110

41 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. 112

45 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I couldnt live in a place like that. I need my 110.

Lesknife and st8yd like this.
  2. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I love the front bolster on the 112, but the blade seems stubby. With the bulk of the 112 I'd just as soon have the 110.
    My favorite profile is the 486 as it has the front finger groove.
    Altered the 110 pro slim to match the 112 profile.
    Buck 110 slim pro brown Rgr (6).jpg Buck 110 slim pro brown Rgr (4).jpg

bucksway, redcanoe, Bastler and 2 others like this.
  3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Between the two I chose the 110 .
    It's the one I lusted after as a kid and the one eventually got.
    I feel the 110 looks better, and that's what it boils down to for me really.
    I prefer my small folders the most these days and the 112 is not enough smaller than the 110 for me to need one.
    If I'm gonna carry a folder once in a while I might as well go all the way with a 110.

Tecate, st8yd and jbmonkey like this.
  4. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    I have one 110 but I have three 112's. I have always preferred the look & size of the 112. I bought my first 112 in 1975 at the Rod & Gun Club in Frankfurt, Germany. I had been carrying a Puma Game Warden (same size as a 110) that I found very hard to sharpen until I finally got a diamond bench stone.

5. Makael

Makael Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Me too. Considering the 110 outsells the 112 by a huge margin. You find 110s all over the place in retail shops. I rarely see a 112.

jbmonkey and GPyro like this.
  6. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    As I always belt carry that size knife in the pouch I choose Buck 110 (except during turkey season when I belt carry an old 112). For pocket carry a modern (rounded) Buck 112. Clear as mud, eh? OH

jbmonkey likes this.
  7. JD Bear

JD Bear Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2015
    For me, the 112 is just a little more controllable, if that makes sense. I open a ton of boxes at work and the 112 is easier to get where I need it. Not by a lot, but enough that I noticed. I reckon over time I've been finding smaller blades are better for what I do at work. Sometimes it sucks since I have bigger hands, but I don't have to worry about that with a 112...

Old Hunter, jbmonkey and Lesknife like this.
  8. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    it does make sense. thanks for explaining it that way. I get what you're saying.

JD Bear likes this.
  9. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    I had been using a 112 since 1973 until I purchased my first 110 about 10 years ago. Now, I'm nearly 100% 110 and find it hard to go back to the 112 due to handle size and the restricting front bolster.

[​IMG]

m r merrill, Grateful, pjsjr and 3 others like this.
  10. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    I actually think the 112 is an infinitely prettier knife. I love its lines and proportions.

To look at and behold.

But to actually hold in my hand.... It's the 110 all the way.

I do admit to carrying the 112 some days just because it's so pretty, but I generally get frustrated by it before dusk and switch back to the 110.

GPyro, Lesknife, allenC and 5 others like this.
  11. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    I like the looks of the 112. The blade is a nice size, I almost never need one longer. My head say the 112 is just about perfect. BUT. I started out on a 110 in 1975. My right hand and the 110 got to know each other really well. They make a great team. I can draw it , open it, cut something , close it and put it back in it's sheath, one handed and in one pretty smooth motion. So it's the 110 that lives on my belt. The 112 lives in the safe.

O.B.

Goose 7279, pinnah and Lesknife like this.
  12. GPyro

GPyro Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2019
    I tried a 110 yesterday, but the extra length of the sheath kept interfering with my fall arrest harness....
    Back to the 112. I can carry that and it doesn't interfere too much.
    Go figure, there's not much difference in size.

jbmonkey and Lesknife like this.
  13. bucksway

bucksway Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I've always wondered what the ratio of sales were..Maybe 20 to 1 ??

Lesknife likes this.
  14. Norvox

Norvox

May 24, 2014
    For me 110 is the best.
    I have only 3 pieces so far and I love them.

15. Robinson1

Robinson1

Feb 15, 2018
    I know exactly what you are talking about. It seems on the days I carry a 110 I get hung up on literally everything I walk by. 112 not so much. I mean it still happens but not nearly as bad

GPyro likes this.
  16. 110 Dave

110 Dave

May 6, 2004
    I’ve carried a 110 since 1967 I tried to 112 when it first came out but I felt it was too small for my hands and everything I’ve always called it a girly knife and that it’s when I ever I seen girls that were used on a buck knife they were using 112 is a better fit their hands lotta guys like 112 I think it’s a nice knife I do wish the 110 and heard that Front HOOK on it like 112 those as one time I did have my hand slipped and cut my finger

bucksway and jbmonkey like this.
  17. bucksway

bucksway Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2007
    So Bro..when did you try/buy your first 112? I have been using a 111 Elk Club Buck since 2007 or 2008 but for years it's been a 'desk' Buck. But in the last few months I have actually carried several 110's .First the Racer with the heavily textured handle and more recently a LT..

18. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Gents, try one of the heavy duty nylon sheaths like come with the 110 LT. That one rides higher on my belt and seems less prone to catch on things than the lower hanging leather sheaths. OH

Ace Rimmer and Lesknife like this.
  19. TheTourist

TheTourist Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2019
    That's not the reason for me, Wisconsin has become very "liberal" with its opinion on automatics and folders with longer blades.

I like the 112 series because I carry for "chores," I do not use a folder for a daily job. It's nice not noticing you have a folder when you slip on a jean jacket and I certainly don't sit on a big sheath.

20. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011

so this part then......

surprised how many 112 voters there are. wonder if it's due to legal requirements of blade length or more just like smaller blade and/or design etc better?

st8yd likes this.