12 Year Old Owning A Sebenza, What Do You Have To Say About That?

Cypress Creek Knives

CCK
Gold Member
I know a 12 year old boy who just got a small 21 with wood inlays. What do you think about that, do you think he is old enough to appreciate it? He knows next to nothing about knives, all he knows is what he hears me say. He has higher end knives, but he diesn't use them, he just knows I like them, so he does too. Tellme what ya'll think.

Only you know your son. I would think if you thought he could use it safely and responsibly, it wouldn't much matter if it were a $5.00 flea market knife or what ever you gave him. It is certainly one he could be proud of.

Sorry, might have misread that. If the parents thought he could use it...

Depends on the boy. My 13 and My 11 year old boys lose their stuff all the time. No way I'd give them a knife that costs more than $30.

Not my son haha. The parents buy him anything he wants, he is spolied. He has several expensive knives. He can use them propely, but he doesnt use them at all. Its hard enough to justify buying a 400+ dollar knife, i dont see how you could justify buying one for a 12 year old

do you think he is old enough to appreciate it? He knows next to nothing about knives

From an aesthetic perspective? Probably not.

From a quality in manufacturing perspective? No.

From a hard earned money being used to buy nice things point of view? No.

No.

I would have started him with a SAK.

He will probably lose it.

If his parents have the cash, I guess there is no harm in it otherwise.

Who cares? As long as he isn't cutting himself with it on a regular basis I don't see why age matters. He will get bored of them at some point and move on to the next hobby his parents fund. Perhaps they will just end up in a box in his closet at some point.

I think some Cub Scouts carry a pocket knife as soon as they earn a certain patch at around age 9 or 10.
It does depend on the maturity of the boy.
It depends if he's been taught safety regarding knives.
As for a Sebenza at that age why not, but it would be a bummer if he lost it, unless money is disposable for his parents.

I know a 12 year old boy who just got a small 21 with wood inlays. What do you think about that, do you think he is old enough to appreciate it? He knows next to nothing about knives, all he knows is what he hears me say. He has higher end knives, but he diesn't use them, he just knows I like them, so he does too. Tellme what ya'll think.

Not my son haha. The parents buy him anything he wants, he is spolied. He has several expensive knives. He can use them propely, but he doesnt use them at all. Its hard enough to justify buying a 400+ dollar knife, i dont see how you could justify buying one for a 12 year old

I would have figured it wasn't any of my business to have an opinion or judge the boy or his parents. :rolleyes:

Depends on the boy. My 13 and My 11 year old boys lose their stuff all the time. No way I'd give them a knife that costs more than $30.

My dad found my first knife (got it at 7, not sure when I lost it) in the backyard about a decade after I lost it when he heard something dinging around the mower blade :p

Is the bolded line to say he asked for the knife? If so, maybe he doesn't appreciate it as much as someone else, but he would have to appreciate it to some degree to want it.

As for not using it, I have seen plenty of posts here by people with wood inlays not willing to use the knife--"It's too nice!"--so I don't think that could be held against him just for his age.

I got my first real knife when I was 11.... Buck 110.... Still have it, recently carried it...

I got my first real knife when I was 11.... Buck 110.... Still have it, recently carried it...

The same goes for me! Of course, I paid for mine out of savings earned by me.

I have never lost a knife-ever.

I would expect that if he does actually carry and use it he'll probably only have it for a few month before losing it, especially if its something his parents could just buy another of later. I started carrying a knife younger than that (all were $10 gun show specials or garage sale slip joints) I lost my first 3 probably with an average carry time of 2 years, but I had to buy them myself.

The same goes for me! Of course, I paid for mine out of savings earned by me.

I have never lost a knife-ever.

I got my first one (a Tree Brand) when I was 11. I lost it and its replacement (a Sears stockman) by the time I was 18, and I had one stolen (Case stockman) over the 58 years since that first one. I bought the first one using money earned by picking cotton and the second from my pay as a Seaman in the Navy so each loss was kinda "personal." Other than those three, I have managed to hold on to everything else.

... but 11 is way too young for an expensive knife. .... I mean what has the kid got to look forward to? a Rolex, a BMW?

When I was 12 I had a Vic Soldier, a Vic hunter, spyderco endura and spyderco salt. Both are still in my possession with no damage to the blade or handle. It depends on the kid really. I'm 14 right now and if I could get a Sebenza I would.
They're really hard to get into Australia :/.

What do I have to say about that? He's very lucky. I've known plenty of people while growing up that has rich parents who would spoil the crap out of them. I had a buddy in college that would switch cars every 3 months ($60,000+ cars).

Do they appreciate it as much as somebody who had to work and save up for it? Definitely not, but at the same time I don't hate on them for having nice things handed to them because in all honesty, I would love it if I had rich parents that spoiled me while growing up. Whoever says they would rather work for their toys are lying. Nobody hates free stuff :D

What do I have to say about that? He's very lucky. I've known plenty of people while growing up that has rich parents who would spoil the crap out of them. I had a buddy in college that would switch cars every 3 months ($60,000+ cars).

Do they appreciate it as much as somebody who had to work and save up for it? Definitely not, but at the same time I don't hate on them for having nice things handed to them because in all honesty, I would love it if I had rich parents that spoiled me while growing up. Whoever says they would rather work for their toys are lying. Nobody hates free stuff :D
I agree nobody hates free stuff, but if you save enough money to buy yourself that nice car, or that new Sebenza you do feel a sense of accomplishment and will appreciate it more.

Since I simply don't think Sebenzas deserve any hype, it's no big deal to me to own one. Of more importance is the danger of having robbed the child of crucial character building experience, the kind a person only learns when they earn something valuable by hard physical work or clever enterprise.

Back