Im not sure why people want the overbuilt folders. The reason I started this thread was because there was another thread recently but the OP bought some knives back in late Jan and people kept making suggestions. I found it interesting though so I wanted to make a similar thread but not asking about advice on purchases.

As far as the end of your post I guess I carry a folder out of habit but in the past year Ive actually bought some small fixed blades.

I bought a Benchmade Adamas because I thought it was cool I bought a Praetorian T because I thought it was cool. If I took a $700 knife out in the woods Id probably lose it. If I lose a Benchmade, Spyderco, or ZT, I can easily replace it, it would suck but whatever. My fixed blades are mostly Bark Rivers which are in a similar price range, it would still suck however Ive never lost a fixed blade. About 20 years ago I left a Buck 119 on the ground but I went back and got it.

Oh and BHQ raised the price of their 4Max to $399.
I remember seeing the Adamas years ago at SHOT Show.

May have been, when they came on the market.

Man, that thing took off.

I should have bought one back then but was on the fence.

But then, Im pretty sure, the K2 will take, what ever gets thrown at it:D:D:D

Im not sure why people want the overbuilt folders.

Because knife; that's why. ;)

Why did I buy a bunch of old slip-joints I found at a convenience store?
Because knife.

That's about it.

I could say something about liking having a knife that is capable of all my normal tasks plus the occasional unexpected one.
Or I could talk about survival in emergencies, or what if zombies become real due to a huge batch of bad bath salts or whatever...

But the real answer is still because knife. :cool:

Because knife; that's why. ;)

Why did I buy a bunch of old slip-joints I found at a convenience store?
Because knife.

That's about it.

I could say something about liking having a knife that is capable of all my normal tasks plus the occasional unexpected one.
Or I could talk about survival in emergencies, or what if zombies become real due to a huge batch of bad bath salts or whatever...

But the real answer is still because knife. :cool:
:thumbsup:

I like me some overbuilt knives, but even more I like knives that are well constructed, in a way they dont have to be overbuilt to be tough. My example for this is the manix 2. I have not broke it yet, and have basically tried to.
20180120_190527_zpsn96dwk5r.jpg

And for just cool and over built, my zt 0220.
20171222_144345_zpsmxgle6sa.jpg
20171212_183828_zpst2uvm4rr.jpg

Of course the ontario rat 1, may not seem like it, but a super tough knife. Just in case you can't tell, this one has some miles on it. ;) This was the first cleaning it has had since I got it when I was about 15, Im 21.5 now. Notice the shouldered barrel spacers that give positive location to the handle. This is another knife I have beat the you know what out of and it just keeps taking it. I want another knife like this just a little nicer and made in the USA
20171026_152210_zpsk3imdlui.jpg

Also here is a pretty damn beefy custom I made a while back. made from almost a 3/16" stock and 1.5 inches wide, this thing took forever to grind on my little 1x30. Its convexed with a standard v edge. Something I decided to do for some reason. (edit: not a folder. Im a jackass but still leaving it)
20180125_152949_zpsvyubcrcl.jpg

20180125_153008_zpsbpjuszfr.jpg

I replied previously to this thread, IIRC referencing the 4-Max; but, truth be told, the Adamas and some smaller, lighter, thinner folder are "overbuilt" - which is to say that for what a folding knife was intended to do, they are overbuilt.

These may include such mainstays as the CS Voyager series, recon 1, just about all of the full sized Triad locks, the Sebenza, ZT620/630 and others that are out there but which i have no personal experience with.

Once a certain size and weight is achieved, a similar blade length fixed blade makes sense.

Once a certain size and weight is achieved, a similar blade length fixed blade makes sense.

Not for me.
I find that fixed blade knives with blades in the 3-5 inch range just piss me off.
They are less convenient and less comfortable to carry.
The handle almost always ends up jabbing me at some point during the day.
I have carried them in the waistband, "scout carry", strapped to my calf, on the belt vertical in various styles of sheaths, or just shoved in a pocket if not to long in overall length.
With very few exceptions, I have found them to present me with some level of discomfort at some point.

Around town, it's folders for me.
Even when going to the woods, my 3-5 inch blade needs are handled by folding knives.
I'll bring along a fixed blade too, but it's gonna be big, and it will be carried in the pack or with Baldric carry.

The Gladius is definitely a fun knife to own. It’s under $1,000, which in my opinion, is a bargain for a well made, unique, custom that uses enough material to make at least 3 knives.
As far as being practical for day to day, unless you’re a giant, the Gladius is way too big common tasks but once you whip it out, everybody wants to fondle it.
You Definitely Won't Find A Gladius Or A Piece Maker For A 1000$ Maybe Add Another 1000$ To It,I Own A Piece Maker Direct From Phil And Love It,Btw That's A Old Version Of The Piece Maker

The Gladius is definitely a fun knife to own. It’s under $1,000, which in my opinion, is a bargain for a well made, unique, custom that uses enough material to make at least 3 knives.
As far as being practical for day to day, unless you’re a giant, the Gladius is way too big common tasks but once you whip it out, everybody wants to fondle it.
Harvey's Are Closer To 2000$

You Definitely Won't Find A Gladius Or A Piece Maker For A 1000$ Maybe Add Another 1000$ To It,I Own A Piece Maker Direct From Phil And Love It,Btw That's A Old Version Of The Piece Maker

Harvey's Are Closer To 2000$

Prices must have changed since I got my Gladius from Phil. Received mine last year but have been on his books for a while before he got to making mine.

Back