18" Keffeler Sword (K18), AKA The KOD Piece

We've been fortunate enough to have run several knives through the course, which is probably 3X anybody else. Our steel has an ideal level of durability and edge retention for this sort of thing and will tolerate this kind of abuse without needing any special considerations. In fact we actually ran them even thinner than normal and still took less damage than the other knives.

Our primary edge will be very sharp and fully capable of bashing though anything. The problem we've run into was insufficient length to be competitive against the swords in some of the targets and the loss of the super sharp edge due to stone contact that made some of the sudden death cuts like meat more difficult where folks with two edges didn't have that issue.

This design has the primary edge a very effective chopper geometry and the spine shaped for and reserved for those special cuts like a fish or straps where you want to know with 100% certainty you can sail through the cut with ease, and you preserve that edge for things like meat, not rock buckets. That spine won't be used much, but when it is, it's very sharp and shaped to grab stuff so you don't need to swing for the fences, which will help accuracy.

So basically the "spine" of this knife will be the equator if you will, i.e, the lines immediately above and below the fuller in the middle, right? I am assuming that even with 2 edges, vertically below and above the primary grinds just past that imaginary spine, the thickness as it tapers in both directions will be the same but with a shallower top edge? If the design is in the way that I am imagining in my head, it will be a pity if CataD should want a none-sharpened top edge!

When this thing is built, I will gift NinJo an Amazon gift card to use toward buying 10 chickens! Amazon Fresh delivers poultry, right? I want to see a video of the NinJo and dead-chickens rematch so what is dead, can get to be even deader :D

Wow... glad I actually checked the subforum, rather than rely on subscribed topics notifications.

Nathan, perhaps a post in the KoD and 'What would you pay?' threads, to ensure any interested parties have a heads up.

I said that I'm down for at least 1, maybe 2 pending the price. Looks like 2, it is.

Always drooled over Dan's Super Assassins (especially the Wakizashi length). This is almost 3 for the price of 1 of those! Only CPK could do that.

P.S.

I wonder if it might not be a better idea to make the preorder announcement, but actually hold the preorder in maybe 1 month, to give fence-sitters more time to juggle finances or sell off some other blades?

The price is an absolute steal for what you're getting, but it's still a fairly substantial chunk of change for many, and I'd hate to see the preorder not go through due to insufficient numbers.

P.P.S.

Posted in the other threads, so folks subscribed to those threads have a heads up

Last edited:
So basically the "spine" of this knife will be the equator if you will, i.e, the lines immediately above and below the fuller in the middle, right? I am assuming that even with 2 edges, vertically below and above the primary grinds just past that imaginary spine, the thickness as it tapers in both directions will be the same but with a shallower top edge? If the design is in the way that I am imagining in my head, it will be a pity if CataD should want a none-sharpened top edge!
My assumption is that normal cutting edge will be used for the heavy tasks, then rotate the handle 180degees to use the spine edge for cutting meats, straps, ropes etc.

Yikes Matty! I’m lost in space!

Actually I understood what you were saying, I just had to tickle a rib. Mike

And I apologize for this stupid question in advance..... it’s been in my head ever since I saw Dan’s K18 prototype, and if I don’t get it out, and at least get yelled at for it, it will keep taking up space in my mind of limited resources.

Which will go through a 2” x 4” more quickly, the Super Assassin or the K18 (love the name, by the way)?o_O

And I apologize for this stupid question in advance..... it’s been in my head ever since I saw Dan’s K18 prototype, and if I don’t get it out, and at least get yelled at for it, it will keep taking up space in my mind of limited resources.

Which will go through a 2” x 4” more quickly, the Super Assassin or the K18 (love the name, by the way)?o_O

Super Assassin

Will there be an installment plan for these? (shaking piggy bank...)

well damn if all y'all on the CPK forum weren't good folks ... I'd offer a "loan service" ... with check cashing centers interest rates ... :p

When this thing is built, I will gift NinJo an Amazon gift card to use toward buying 10 chickens! Amazon Fresh delivers poultry, right? I want to see a video of the NinJo and dead-chickens rematch so what is dead, can get to be even deader :D

I'll bring the big cooker for the chickens and whatever other animals Ninjo chops in half ... (as I hear Doug Marcaida say "it will keal") ... and do the cooking if someone brings the beer ... don't wanna waste good bbq ...

Back