1K Giveaway!

abbydaddy

Gold Member
Well I realized the other day that somehow I have closed in on 1000 posts, and I felt like that called for a GAW. But I spend most of my time here on the porch, and I don't have any spare GEC's lying around...

What I do have is a Boy Scouts of America Scout Knife. I do have one still new in the packaging.

If you have been around here for a while you might know that I give away a BSA knife on the anniversary of my little brother's death. My brother carried a BSA Camillus scout knife that my dad gave him. I have people nominate a kid that they would give the knife to, because a scout knife makes a great first knife. I also usually keep them on hand because they make good knives to give to nieces and nephews when their parents decide they are ready for a knife (but no one is going to be getting to that age in my family for a couple years). Plus the family tradition just makes the scout knife a very special pattern to me.

But now 1000 posts is almost here! My little brother's birthday is coming up too. He would have been 23 on Tuesday. So maybe this is a fitting adaptation of my scout knife giveaway tradition. When I memorialize his death I like the gesture to be one of giving, but birthdays are for presents. So here is a chance for you to win a scout knife for yourself.

View attachment 681785
(I'm trying a new approach to image sharing, so let me know if you have trouble seeing the pictures Edit: well that was a total failure. Back to the old fashioned way.)

Would you like an official Boy Scouts of America Scout Knife? I would love to send you one. Compared to many of the knives we share and carry on this forum, the BSA Scout Knife isn't fancy, but they are handy little knives. If you've never carried the pattern you owe it to yourself to try it out.

BSAScout2.jpg
They have a handy blade selection

BSAScout4.jpg

BSAScout3.jpg
And they are official knives :)

The pictures are of the one that I carry. Mostly when working in the bush. They make a great second knife when you are carrying a larger fixed blade.

The rules:
  • You must be legally able to receive this knife.
  • You must be in the US (or willing to cover the shipping cost)
  • Please share an image or story of a knife or traditional pattern that has sentimental meaning to you
  • (note: this is open to anyone, not just porch regulars, but if you share a picture of a knife, make sure it is a traditional, this is the traditional sub-forum)

And that is it. Open to all. I will keep this open until interest dies down or January 17th (my brother's birthday), whichever comes last. I will select the number randomly.

Last edited:
Congrats on the 1K, abbydaddy! I too have lost a younger brother, so I feel your pain and your need for a gesture to honor him. The scout is a perfect first knife, and this old Ulster was my first ever knife, 50+ years ago. Still going strong!

HardWorker_zps04053d83.jpg~original

Wow Black Mamba, that is a great old knife. I'm pretty impressed that you still have that first one. It looks like it has seen a lot of use and love.

Please count me in.

Though I'm in an effort to downsize, my 2017 folding knife resolution was to downsize the accumulation and focus on scout patterns as a collection.

108mm knives from Victorinox's Safari series.

SAK%2520108mm.JPG

Last edited:
Great knife!
Not an entry, because I have probably more scout patterns than anything else.

I'd like to enter your GAW, abbydaddy; thanks for the opportunity! :thumbup:

My first knife was a Colonial Forest-Master scout knife, and because of that, I have a hard time resisting almost any scout knives or SAKs that I run across! :rolleyes: So I definitely felt compelled to enter your GAW, even though I was never an official Boy Scout.

But I'm not going to post a pic of that first knife, even though I seem to be using it more and more lately. The knife below is a small (3.125" closed IIRC) Imperial serpentine jack that I found at my place at the kitchen table almost exactly 3 years ago when I came back into the house after a couple of hours of snow-shoveling during a blizzard. My wife had found it in a box of her old things, and is quite sure her dad gave it to her back in the 1970s (after carrying it for years himself) when he got a new knife. I spent an afternoon cleaning it up and getting it functional and decided that I was going to start carrying a pocket knife again like I had as a kid back on the farm where I grew up. Within a month, I had discovered Blade Forums and The Porch, and life has been different ever since! :D
gQ9h7UA.jpg

Congrats on the first thousand posts; I hope to see many K more! :thumbup: Thanks again for your generous GAW; I think it's a fantastic tribute to your brother at what must be a sad time of year for you.

Best wishes to all the entrants! ;)

- GT

This is my oldest knife, or at least the one I have had the longest. I bought it while backpacking through Europe, and cut up a lot of black bread and gjetost with it. One of these days I will take a better picture.

Please count me in.

lNl4Zz.jpg

Excellent giveaway! Not an entry. For some reason I felt you should have been a boy scout to own an official knife and unfortunately, I never was.

Very generous of you. This is not an entry, I would rather see the knife go to someone who can pass it down to a youngster. But I would like to show a few images. The first is one of my stag scout knives. The second one is my most prized knife. 1906 original Tuna Valley, made for Case but sold under the Tuna Valley name. Only 600 were made, and only 3 are known to exist. My grandfather acquired this knife back in the 90's, and asked every knife expert in the country what it was. Nobody had any answers, so he just kept it. After some time, information about the history of the Tuna Valley name came out, and then he realized what it was. He put it for sale on his dealer tables while at knife shows, with a lot of interest in looking/holding it, but no serious offers. Then the day came where he asked me out of all his knives, which would I like to have if I could choose one. I picked this one for a few reasons (the rarity, the history of how he got it, and my fascination with the newly released Tuna Valley knives.) A few months later at Christmas time, he handed me the knife and said he'd rather see me keep it and show it off, than have him just sell it. So that is how I received my favorite knife in my collection.

This is an excellent GAW. This is not an entry, as I believe this knife should be in the hands of a Scout, not mine. Hopefully whoever wins will have the opportunity to put it in the hands of a deserving young lad or lass. :) Cheers to you!!!

There are some great knives and stories being shared. Thank you all for participating, even those who aren't in ;)

I'm in, I have an affinity for the pattern. I was a Scout and my 15 year old son is currently a Scout. What a great way to remember/honor your brother.

Here are a Case, a few Camillus, an Ulster, an Ekilstuna Sweden etc.

Not an entry as my son at two, is just a few years away from his first knife. ;) I was a Cub Scout, but never went on to be a Boy Scout for a variety of reasons. However one of my first knives was a traditional blue cub knife. Sadly this knife , along with others and many other keepsakes(some beautiful old Mexican silver spurs from my paternal grandfather among them)were lost in a house fire. I haven't replaced any of these knives, but I believe one if not the first knife my son will get is an official blue cub knife, whether he is in scouting or not. My sorrow to you over the loss of your brother, I can't imagine the loss. This is a grand way to remember him, and share his story. Smoke and prayers for you, and your family.
Thanks, Neal

My grandpa loved the venerable vic classic and would just replace them whenever they got wore out. Well his last vic classic was a yellow one which was in his pocket when he died.
He loved the so much that he bought my grandmother a pink one which she never even used.

This left me with an unused pink calssic that I wouldn't carry and a totally wore out yellow one I couldn't carry so I decided to swap out their scales ,Now I have a knife I often carry which belonged to my grandmother that is sporting scales that were worn by my grandpa's hands and Dickie's pocket.

I could be just as happy carrying any vic classic since he loved them, but this one actually has a real connection to him and is that much more special.

I'm in, and thanks for the generous giveaway 👍

I'm in, I have an affinity for the pattern. I was a Scout and my 15 year old son is currently a Scout. What a great way to remember/honor your brother.

Here are a Case, a few Camillus, an Ulster, an Ekilstuna Sweden etc.

What is that one on the top right? I think that one is really cool looking. I have a fondness for both wood scales and shadow patterns.

Congratulations on your first 1,000 posts :) I'm sorry for your loss, losing a brother is something you don't forget :( As a founder member, with Paul Hilborn, of the Lost Scouts, I'd like to throw my hat in if I may. Good luck everyone, and thanks again :thumbup:

What a wonderful gesture and tribute! Not an entry as I just wouldn't give it the love and attention that knife will need and deserve. Thank you for sharing such a great story of family and allowing one of us to join. Well done sir!

Wow hard to believe it's been a year already!! Congrats on the thousand posts. Not an entry I was the lucky winner last year and the knife ended up in good hands. Thanks again A.D. great GAW

Wow hard to believe it's been a year already!! Congrats on the thousand posts. Not an entry I was the lucky winner last year and the knife ended up in good hands. Thanks again A.D. great GAW

It hasn't been a year yet since the last GAW, but this one is for people to keep if they want. The one that I do in May is the GAW explicitly for a kid.

Glad to hear the knife went to a good home :)

Back