1st Benchmade DISASTER

They matter to me too. Especially for the price. But let's be honest the price is inflated because of map pricing. These knives without map pricing may be more worth it with these issues. Tho... That's debatable.

Well hehe considering the price of my endura 4 I could argue against that. I think some of the price you pay is from the warranty.

Well hehe considering the price of my endura 4 I could argue against that. I think some of the price you pay is from the warranty.
You would think that, but before map prices you still got the same warranty and presumably the same quality just less complaints due to the lower prices. The dealers get dealer prices and then what ever they sell them at is their profit presumably. Before map prices they could sell them at whatever price they wanted over dealer costs.

First and foremost, until approximately five (5) years ago, I had personally experienced multiple instances of broken Omega Springs.

HOWEVER, since setting aside an entire forty-five (45) seconds of time to actually learn the the "right way" and wrong way as to engaging an Axis Lock, not a single Omega Spring has broken or failed in any of the scores of overused, overengaged and minimally maintained Benchmade folders I have owned.

For proper usage and optimal, or perhaps perpetual longevity, both sides of the Axis Lock's protruding barbell are designed and intended to be simultaneously "pinched" between two (2) fingers and pulled down applying equal pressure to both sides of the Axis bar, in unison.

Whereas, pulling down and applying pressure to only one (1) side of the Axis bar with one's thumb or other finger, subjects Omega Springs to undue stress from the excesssive force of unilaterally shouldering a burden that was instead designed to be shared and balanced by both sides of the Axis bar.

Since learning how to properly pull down the Axis bar, I have been unable to cause an Omega Spring to break or fail, despite seeming to be constantly pulling down Axis bars.

Former Omega Spring problem solved. At least for my Benchmades and I.

Sitzkrieg_70 said:
For proper usage and optimal, or perhaps perpetual longevity, both sides of the Axis Lock's protruding barbell are designed and intended to be simultaneously "pinched" between two (2) fingers and pulled down applying equal pressure to both sides of the Axis bar, in unison.

Interesting, I don't think I've ever heard someone attribute a one-sided disengagement to premature spring failure. Seems like a reasonable theory.
I always disengage from both sides.

Interesting, I don't think I've ever heard someone attribute a one-sided disengagement to premature spring failure. Seems like a reasonable theory.
I always disengage from both sides.

I had initially learned of it from a post by a Benchmade design engineer who had spelled it out in no uncertain terms.

Reactions: AF
I've always pulled it with 2 fingers. I tried with 1 finger just to try it out and it felt awkward and binded up a little.

First and foremost, until approximately five (5) years ago, I had personally experienced multiple instances of broken Omega Springs.

HOWEVER, since setting aside an entire forty-five (45) seconds of time to actually learn the the "right way" and wrong way as to engaging an Axis Lock, not a single Omega Spring has broken or failed in any of the scores of overused, overengaged and minimally maintained Benchmade folders I have owned.

Whereas, pulling down and applying pressure to only one (1) side of the Axis bar with one's thumb or other finger, subjects Omega Springs to undue stress from the excesssive force of unilaterally shouldering a burden that was instead designed to be shared and balanced by both sides of the Axis bar.

Since learning how to properly pull down the Axis bar, I have been unable to cause an Omega Spring to break or fail, despite seeming to be constantly pulling down Axis bars.

Very interesting. I normally use both sides. Rarely do I just do one side. I wonder if that is a common contributing factor to the majority of failures

I'm another BM fan and have over 30 of them with no issues.
The only time I have used CS was when buying second hand. Every single new blade I purchased has been great.
Centered blades with no play. Amazing and smooth action. Tight lock ups.

I couldn't agree more about un locking the Axis lock!!
I broke a spring on my 908-1501 KSF exclusive. The way the knife fits my hand made un locking with my right thumb only feel natural.
Sent the knife in to CS.
I got an e mail from a Benchmade tech to use both sides of the Axis bar to un lock. He was able to tell what caused that spring to break.
That is the only problem I had with a BM that I purchased new.
Joe

I haven't carried/used a BM for over a decade now, but I carried axis locking knives for about 6 or 7 years, and luckily I never had an axis lock spring break. I ALWAYS pulled both sides of the axis bar when unlocking. Firstly, I felt it was better for the springs; secondly, trying to unlock by pulling only one side seemed awkward and uncomfortable. In fact, I think I only tried the one-sided axis bar pull once or twice before abandoning it.

Jim

You would think that, but before map prices you still got the same warranty and presumably the same quality just less complaints due to the lower prices. The dealers get dealer prices and then what ever they sell them at is their profit presumably. Before map prices they could sell them at whatever price they wanted over dealer costs.

Except dealers still do exactly this. I posted 2 anthem pics with prices at $359 this weekend. Online dealers are bound by MAP, local shops don't seem to be contrary to what BM says.

I have a 950 and a 484, and both have been flawless. I'll admit the 484 hasn't actually been used, but fit and finish out of the box was excellent. The 950 has been worked on a few camping trips, but still falls centered and locks up perfectly. I've heard the reports of poor quality in the past few years, but this might be the only story I've seen photos indicating a problem truly existed on some scale. I hope you get your issue resolved, but keep in mind, every manufacturer has a lemon escape their camp now and then. I realize you know this, but when you're frustrated, we tend to lose sight I suppose. As long as BM makes this right, I think you'll be pleased with the product in the end. Either way, that sux..

I have a 950 and a 484, and both have been flawless. I'll admit the 484 hasn't actually been used, but fit and finish out of the box was excellent. The 950 has been worked on a few camping trips, but still falls centered and locks up perfectly. I've heard the reports of poor quality in the past few years, but this might be the only story I've seen photos indicating a problem truly existed on some scale. I hope you get your issue resolved, but keep in mind, every manufacturer has a lemon escape their camp now and then. I realize you know this, but when you're frustrated, we tend to lose sight I suppose. As long as BM makes this right, I think you'll be pleased with the product in the end. Either way, that sux..

Yea I don't think they'll be fixing the blade because they claim "our machines cut only downward" and they think I took it apart and did those machining marks or cuts. Maybe if get irritated enough I'll tell them that it ain't right. Or maybe I'll just live with it who knows. I'll determine this when they call me Monday or Tuesday. I have been hearing good things about the crooked river knife! Can't wait for it to come in

Last edited:
MAP is Minimum Advertised Price. My understanding is that a dealer may sell Benchmades at any price point, but may only advertise at MAP which is 85% of list price.

The posted price of any knife for sale online constitutes a defacto advertisement, hence online dealers are more or less stuck selling at MAP. I have seen instances with other online products where one has to put the item in one's cart in order to see a price lower than MAP. There are also online dealers who will work with you on lower pricing than they can advertise.

A brick and mortar store has knives on display with price tags. I don't believe this constitutes advertising, so those dealers can sell at whatever price point they wish as long as they don't publish a figure below MAP.

Reactions: Mo2
MAP is Minimum Advertised Price. My understanding is that a dealer may sell Benchmades at any price point, but may only advertise at MAP which is 85% of list price.

The posted price of any knife for sale online constitutes a defacto advertisement, hence online dealers are more or less stuck selling at MAP. I have seen instances with other online products where one has to put the item in one's cart in order to see a price lower than MAP. There are also online dealers who will work with you on lower pricing than they can advertise.

A brick and mortar store has knives on display with price tags. I don't believe this constitutes advertising, so those dealers can sell at whatever price point they wish as long as they don't publish a figure below MAP.

I thought that too, but after reading their actual policy, it does say Benchmade will not sell to any retailer that "has advertised, promoted, offered, or sold any Benchmade products below that stipulated on the Dealer Unilateral Pricing Policy Price List". They did away with MAP and went to the UPP. They also state that "Benchmade does not request, and in fact discourages, any complaints by distributors, retailers, or customers as to perceived violations of this Policy by other retailers or distributors." Basically, if a Benchmade representative doesn't report the violation, then the retailer can sell at whatever price they want. It's not a contract or mutual agreement between Benchmade and retailers (I think that would be considered price fixing), just a "policy" that Benchmade can enforce at their own discretion.

Unilateral Minimum Resale Price And Promotion Policy (Effective November 18, 2013)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1wNjWTmrQh0ZTNIa3RndC11a2s

I thought that too, but after reading their actual policy, it does say Benchmade will not sell to any retailer that "has advertised, promoted, offered, or sold any Benchmade products below that stipulated on the Dealer Unilateral Pricing Policy Price List". They did away with MAP and went to the UPP. They also state that "Benchmade does not request, and in fact discourages, any complaints by distributors, retailers, or customers as to perceived violations of this Policy by other retailers or distributors." Basically, if a Benchmade representative doesn't report the violation, then the retailer can sell at whatever price they want. It's not a contract or mutual agreement between Benchmade and retailers (I think that would be considered price fixing), just a "policy" that Benchmade can enforce at their own discretion.

Unilateral Minimum Resale Price And Promotion Policy (Effective November 18, 2013)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1wNjWTmrQh0ZTNIa3RndC11a2s
I was unaware of the change, Cory. Thanks for clearing that up. As usual, by the time I get something figured out the info I have is obsolete. :confused:
--Steve

30 Benchmades, 27 with AXIS locks, 0 broken springs, 0 lock problems.
I've never never had a failed lock or spring either, on any brand from any knife. Theres more to qc than just not outright breaking down

Back