2011 Forum Knife Picture/Review Thread

I've carried this puppy for two days now and it is so pocket friendly and comfortable in the hand I love it and can't stop playin' with it. :)

My EO Jack landed yesterday. The f&f is excellent. Pull is at 5 to 6. I have the same issue with the cap lifter. I tried to get it to work and finally used the tool I always have on me. So it's not a major issue. Thanks for all the hard work guys! Excellent knife!

I did try the cap lifter again and although it takes a little work, it did what it was designed to do. I'm confident that if I continue to use it I would get better at it. One thing for sure; if it was the only bottle opener I had, I would NOT go thirsty.
DSC02531.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to try out the lifter last night, and, although not perfect, I was able to get the cap off in 3 tries. :eek:

Seeing the pics thawk posted shows me just where to work on the lifter to fix it.

Still love the knife, and it's been in my pocket since arrival.

Nice choice in beer Gary. Allagash White is great. :thumbup: :thumbup:

It is interesting to see the difference in the shape of the opener on the forum knife compared to those scout knives.

not ideal but pops my maudite and la fin dumonde in 2 tries, other beers ive tried i got in 3, good news is if i keep lifting caps and draining the contents of said bottle i really wont care about much of anything :D
i agree they missed the mark a bit on the lifter, but i may try the mod mentioned here
but i bought the knife for the big ole spear blade and the e/o pattern.
couldnt be happier
gene
p.s. i will post my la fin dumonde picts later

Very impressed! Both of mine arrived today, and both have great fit and finish. One pulls a little stouter, but thats the way I like them. Though it did take twice around a Samuel Adams bottle cap to open, so a slight problem there, but that can be fixed with a little elbow grease (renovation), I believe.

Thanks to all involved in making this happen again.:thumbup:

- Joe

Overall I'm happy with the knife. The finish is terrific and all the parts fit perfectly with no gaps anywhere that I can see. The blades are centered and the one that has an edge on it is sharp. The NS liners and pins look great along with the bone scales. I also like that they didn't round over the corners of the screwdriver blade too much. The pull on the blades is on the firm side, but I'm hoping they will break in a little bit. The tip of the spear blade on mine is very close to being exposed and probably will need to be lowered after sharpening it a few times. There is a tiny bit of underblading on both blades in the open position and I'm having the cap lifter issue also. It seems easy enough to fix, but GEC should be made aware of the problem with the design. This is especially true if they plan on releasing more knives with the cap lifter/screwdriver.

After tweaking the lifter a bit, this knife should be wonderful to use. It's certainly a pleasure to look at just as it is. Once again I want to give a big thank you to everyone who was involved in making this happen, from the organizers who put in all their time and effort to everyone who voted and purchased knives. I think we made a good choice and it's really cool to be a small part of bringing this classic pattern back. I can't wait to see what we pick in 2012.

Mine arrived today and I am very impressed. Caplifter works just fine. Perhaps I have more practice than most, lol.

Hi Ed -

Good to know the packages are getting out to the far reaches!

I have not opened mine yet, so I have not used one on a bottle, but my VIC Waiter "cap lifter", which also doubles as a can opener, does not pop caps off easily, it takes a little technique.

But where there is a will to open a bottle, there is a way lol.

I will have all of the packages shipped by Friday, and on Friday I will buy a nice 6 pack and try that lifter out for myself!

best regards -

mqqn

We should all buy you a 6 pack Andy for the hard work you've done for us all! ;) but getting through that many brews might make it even harder to get the cap off.

Wow!

I got mine in on Monday -- and I am SO glad I was one of those who pushed for the lifter/driver. This knife is simply perfect! The bar has been set to a new height!

This illustrates what is meant by underbladed. (Borrowed pic.) Shown is a GEC 56, which many forum members thought had severe underblading. In my experience many of GECs patterns exibit this, though typicall not quite as severe as in the pic.
underblade-1.jpg

Picked up my knife at the Post Office this AM. It's pretty much like all the other 2011 Blade Forum knives pictured in this thread. The knife looks good.

2011bladeforumknifeeoca.jpg

There have been four issues about the 2011 Blade Forum knife brought up in this thread:

1. Cap Lifter does not function properly

2. Flat spot on blade edge

3. Blade not sharp out of tube

4. Underblading

The cap lifter on my knife does not work worth squat. There is no flat spot on my blade edge and the point of the spear blade sits well into the frame. The blade is fairly sharp -- certainly sharper than blades from GEC in the past (year or so ago). Both blades are underbladed.

Nothing to do about the underblading and I've already touched up the spear blade edge so it is nice and sharp now. I could send it back to GEC to make them provide a workable cap lifter but since they didn't care enough to do the job right the first time, it's doubtful they'll care enough to fix the cap lifter properly.

I found mine waiting for me when I got home last night! The knife was beautiful, great Fit & finish and has a nice solid feeling in the hand without being too heavy for daily carry.

Mine wasn't sharp at all, and I was disappointed to find a nick in the blade like it had been bumped into something during handling. It'll come out when I sharpen it so I'm not really upset about it.

Still wish I bought two!

I found mine waiting for me when I got home last night!

Mine wasn't sharp at all, and I was disappointed to find a nick in the blade like it had been bumped into something during handling. It'll come out when I sharpen it so I'm not really upset about it.

Actually, every time you let the blade snap shut it will reappear slightly when it bangs into the channel bottom. After repeated filing down I have a nice crescent shaped dent midway along the blade.
The kick needs to be a hair higher to prevent this.

I want to thank everyone for posting their reviews and pictures of the knives. I made the mistake of not ordering one, and am now regretting it, but I am still enjoying this thread!

When the spine of the blade sits lower than the backspring in the open position.

I gotta wonder is this much of an issue really or a personal taste thing? because A LOT of antique folders I own sans the Sheffield's from the turn of the 20th century often are slightly underbladed. In fact the only oldies from the US I own that aren't are the small half congress I have and my imperial scout.

I gotta wonder is this much of an issue really or a personal taste thing? because A LOT of antique folders I own sans the Sheffield's from the turn of the 20th century often are slightly underbladed. In fact the only oldies from the US I own that aren't are the small half congress I have and my imperial scout.

I don't see it as much of an issue at all. In fact, it doesn't bother me in the least unless it is a custom knife.

On the other hand, I do like it when I get a production knife that lines up nice & pretty in this area.

Back