2011 Forum Knife Picture/Review Thread

I always figured their were two types of lining up the blades on a slipjoint...the underblading method and then the flush with top of the spring method. I would have been disappointed if both blades didn't sit on the same level but it appears the underblading on this one is intentional and was visible in the prototype.

319189_10150276616726601_600566600_7990030_4123620_n.jpg

Yeah, I'd agree on that. My copy is slightly underbladed as well, but not objectionably to me. I did notice it looking it over but it was so slight I didn't even think to mention it.

I've seen some really bad examples in some other knives like the GEC 56 shown before, but slight underblading has never bothered me. Maybe in a custom, but not production. As long as it doesn't effect function, and honestly I doubt it does on even the pretty bad examples of the 56.

Jon

I always figured their were two types of lining up the blades on a slipjoint...the underblading method and then the flush with top of the spring method. I would have been disappointed if both blades didn't sit on the same level but it appears the underblading on this one is intentional and was visible in the prototype.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319189_10150276616726601_600566600_7990030_4123620_n.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever seen a GEC that is not underbladed. It seems to be par for the course with them--no idea why. Echoing a previous post of yours, do any of the smart minds in this forum know if there an advantage to making them that way?

Actually, every time you let the blade snap shut it will reappear slightly when it bangs into the channel bottom. After repeated filing down I have a nice crescent shaped dent midway along the blade.
The kick needs to be a hair higher to prevent this.

You are spot on with your diagnosis. It is the raised part of the knife spring that is putting nicks in the blade every time I close it.

That is disappointing.

On the topic of underblading, it is very difficult to get production knives consistently flush. A slight underblade is preferrable to the chance of overblading which looks bad, and feels sharp to the hand.
If you do a representative survey, you will find the vast majority of production knives slightly underbladed. I have a 4-blade Case Tested Cattle knife in my hand, and all four blades are slightly underbladed. I have also in front of me a Case XX USA 6232. The main blade is flush, and the pen is "under".
It is my understanding there is a pretty young workforce in cutleries today, and wages are so-so.
(Thank imports!) I will bet you have to build a little tolerance into the process. A lot of these old knives we collect were made by dedicated, life-long cutlers.

On the topic of caplifters;
I just got back from the U.S. where I picked up my BF knives.
I treated myself and the Missus to some Pilsner Urquell, to test out the cap lifter.
First off, being in a knife, it is by definition narrow, .090", so it isn't as easy to use as a lifter with a wide tongue. Those wide ones grab at least two of the "crimps", so are more sure, whereas one in a knife like ours can only grip one.
That said, I had no problem popping the caps. One of the two (I don't drink like I used to) took an extra pull because the cap bent open but didn't come all the way off.
I'm fine with the way it works so far, but I will drink as much beer as I possibly can in the next while, and see how it goes.
;->

You are spot on with your diagnosis. It is the raised part of the knife spring that is putting nicks in the blade every time I close it.

That is disappointing.

If you use your knife its usually the smallest fraction of an inch that makes contact...I have a modern style buck knife that ALWAYS tapped the bottom liner (no spring) just slightly, even if I controlled the close, but it didn't take long before it stopped, was annoying but not a deal breaker.

On the topic of caplifters;
I just got back from the U.S. where I picked up my BF knives.
I treated myself and the Missus to some Pilsner Urquell, to test out the cap lifter.
First off, being in a knife, it is by definition narrow, .090", so it isn't as easy to use as a lifter with a wide tongue. Those wide ones grab at least two of the "crimps", so are more sure, whereas one in a knife like ours can only grip one.
That said, I had no problem popping the caps. One of the two (I don't drink like I used to) took an extra pull because the cap bent open but didn't come all the way off.

I noticed that where playing around with my different caplifters, including the Forum knife, if I did not go right at the center of the cap, and rather went at the cap at an angle, I had a better chance at hooking a crimp. That was true on even the ones with a deeper scoop and more of a hook on the lip of the caplifter opening. If you try to open it from between the crimps, the lifter has a tough time catching hold. Yeah Charlie, I have a small collection of vintage church key, and the old Schlitz model I use in the kitchen never misses its mark... best carry one of those in the car if you will be entertaining impatient thirsty friends and some non-twisty beers.

I sent an e-mail to GEC about the caplifter and this is one of the lines in their reply to me.

" We did try the lifter here at the factory and it did work fine for us".

GEC gave me the info to send my knife back to them but I'm not sure I will.

Interesting about the 'underblade' issue. I just pulled out a few Victorinox SAKs, which I regard as the most consistently well-made knives in the world, and found to my surprise that they are all underbladed to a slight degree. I can only conclude that there must be some advantage to this, maybe from a manufacturing perspective.

Interesting about the 'underblade' issue. I just pulled out a few Victorinox SAKs, which I regard as the most consistently well-made knives in the world, and found to my surprise that they are all underbladed to a slight degree. I can only conclude that there must be some advantage to this, maybe from a manufacturing perspective.

I hadn't thought of that, but you are correct...my alox SAK's and red handled vics all are underbladed.

The underblading isn't really an issue for me. The only reason I even brought it up was because I was trying to give a detailed description of my initial thoughts on the knife. It's something that only a knife nut would even notice anyway. Any of the things that I mentioned which could be construed as a negative are admittedly nitpicking and not a reflection of my overall satisfaction with the knife. The only exception to this is the cap lifter. I don't expect it to open every bottle on the first pry since it's so narrow, but it should at least be able to consistently hook a crimp in the first place. None of my other knives that have them are this hard to use.

Last edited:
I'm not weighing in heavily because I'll be the last one to receive my knife, but on the 2 points discussed here

a) Underblading is common and many makers do it by choice. It is quite common for old knives and many new manufacturers do it the same way to re-create the old. Doing it also gives some latitude because when you are putting out more than one knife a week (like custom makes), you can keep quite as tolerances, so underbidding is more forgiving. I don't believe it in anyways detracts from the craftsmanship of the knife. It is a customary feature of many knifes.

I won't speak to the cap lifter, Personally, I've never had luck with them no matter how many knives I use. Someone hit it up top. Don't go straight on...go at it from an angle and it catches a crimp. I'll say this though..I don't drink anymore but I'll find a way to pop a cap. Perhaps GEC could simply give us some guidance for a DIY Project. Then you have even more of a part of making your knife. A lithe file here, a little file here...a little file there. You have now customized your knife and gotten it to work. Stay positive on this. A lot of work has gone into it for a year and the process isn't over. Let's have fund with this and see how can make the best cap lifter on BF. I propose a CONTEST ONCE ALL KNIVES HAVE BEEN RECEIVED. EVERY MANY POPS 10 TOPS WITH KNIFE AS IS. THEN MAKE A MOD...A) YOUR OWN, B) ONE SUGGESTED FROM A BUDDY, C) ONE SUGGESTED FROM GEC. POP 10 MORE. WHO CAN BUILD THE BEST POP TOP ON AN OTHERWISE SUPURB KNIFE

I'VE HEARD 90% POSITIVE AND 10% NEGATIVE. I THINK THE 10% CAN BE DWINDLED TO 2%. THAT IS A DANDY KNIFE ALL AROUND.

SO MY POINT IT....LOVE ON THAT SUCKER AND MAKE IT YOUR OWN. IF YOU THINK YOU CAN FIX WHAT YOU FEEL IS AN ISSUE....GO FOR IT. I'D BE THRILLED TO SEE ALL OF THESE BEAUTIFUL MODIFICATIONS THAT COME UP AND WORK LIKE CHARMS

AND FINALLY, WE HAVE BEEN TALKING TO GEC AND THEY ARE AWARE OF THE ISSUES. THEY AREN'T GOING TO LEAVE THEIR FAVORITE FB GROUP OUT IN THE COLD.

SO I WOULD ASK THAT WE KEEP THE BITCHING TO CRITIQUING. I'D ASK THAT WE DON'T DIRECT ANY NEGATIVEITY TOWARDS GEC, WHO WAS AMAZING TO WORK WITH AND FROM WHAT I CAN TELL PUT OUT ONE OF THE BEST BF YET (SIDE NOTE:::::I HOPE WE USE THEM AGAIN)

ANYWAYS, JUST MY THOUGHTS.

I just used the cap lifter for the first time and popped the top off a Trappistes Rochefort 10 on the first go. :confused: Was it luck? It's 11.3% alcohol and I don't really need another but I'm willing to take one for the team if necessary. ;) Just let me know. :D

img561.jpg

Last edited:
I admit my initial assessment was overly harsh. The secondary blade pull has eased up a little, but it still feels like the spring was matched to the length of main blade but used for the caplifter with half the leverage available. Yes, I call it a caplifter now, since I got out the die grinder and cut one in the screwdriver blade. I also admit that I did find a screw that it fit properly. I guess it is time for the cataract surgery. So here it is with the second bottle it opened (the first that it got on one try).

DSCF1099.jpg

DSCF1101.jpg

Stock and modified caplifters

DSCF1102.jpg

That looks really good Jack! I might have to do just that...I'm getting a dremel kit so I'll give it a buzz just like that!

PS. would us modding the caplifter effect the warranty?

Nice work, Jack! Looks like it has more bite now.

Here's a comparison photo of the caplifters on the 2011 Forum Knife and some vintage knives. It's somewhat similar to the old Catt. next to it.

img565.jpg

How about a few more pics? I really do think that the jigging and color of the bone turned out great.
dscf0343.jpg

dscf0339.jpg

dscf0340.jpg

Maybe it is just technique. I guess I'll have to keep on trying.:D

I have popped a pair of Ninkasi IPAs. Working out great. :)
This knife is getting compliments from non knife people!

Back