2012 Bladeforums Knife - Chatting Thread

I'll try and get some closed pics of the long pull and thin clips on #48s later today.

I took some quick pics but the light was fading fast... I hope these are clear enough to see the differences between the two. The top one is the #48 Jack and the bottom a Trapper GEC made, both in Northfield trim. The long clip looks nice but I like the way the muskrat clip looks on this pattern. I suppose the placement of the nail nick on the wharncliffe blade and how high it sits up would determine which blade shape works best...
IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

Nice comparison photo, Trand. I prefer the muskrat blade now that I see the two side-by-side. I think it will work well with a Wharncliffe behind it.

I have a couple questions about how the blade configuration will be decided if the WT wins. Will it be by the replies from the poll thread? There are quite a few people who have voted, but haven't replied as to what they specifically want. Even though I didn't vote for the WT, should I go back and edit my post to add my preferences in case it wins? There are also others that have voted for different knives who didn't state preferences for a WT if it should be chosen.

I don't have a problem if a single blade WT is the final choice, but I would be disappointed if we end up with it because of the pattern totals being bolstered by those voting for a two blade version or people not realizing that they need to speak up and make their opinion heard with a post.

Nevermind, I found the answers in the first post of the poll thread. Guess I need to read a little better.:eek:

Since we started the process late this year, we want to kill a couple of birds with one stone. When yo vote for your favorite pattern, please input your preference on a couple of parameters I have listed with each knife.

Time to go edit my post.:D

Last edited:
Congress jack supporters...come out from your lairs and vote...it's not too late yet...and we are stronger...we are all unite...there's no "one blade vs two blades" debate among us...no "clip main vs wharncliffe main" dispute...we all want just one thing, and Nate posted that pic and showed us the way....otherwise we will all have to get custom made one, since no company is producing it...come on...we can win...we just need a speed up effort... :D

Fausto
:cool:

I had always assumed that it was asked you only vote if you intend to buy the pattern you voted for. I don't expect someone to shell out for a whaler when they voted for a peanut and vice versa.

I think that's how it ought to be. I voted for the Stockman but later posted in the voting thread that I'd take a Congress Jack should that pattern win.

And then there's the non-refundable deposit. Surely, the cost of the knife chosen should be known before it is ordered and the cost shared with the members. It's not the money. I have plenty of that for whaterver forum knife is chosen. It's just that I am not in the habit of making non-refundable deposits and in fact don't.

Last edited:
It's close. Just a couple percent difference between the congress jack and the wharncliffe trapper. I hope these photos help. ;)

orig.jpg

Come on guys...look at this knife...for mysterious reasons it's not produced by any company right now...doesn't it deserve a chance to fall into your hands? :D

Fausto
:cool:

If you guys think you will get a Congress Jack (or any other knife for that matter) that will remind you of the master works in those pictures you are sadly mistaken. Unless the forum knife is going to cost more like $1000 instead of $100.

Read the second sentence. I said I'd buy, as long as the choice is not anything wharncliff. That is 100% intent to buy anything but a wharncliff blade knife. Either as a single blade, or as a main or secondary blade of a multiple blade model. I don't follow the cult of the wharncliff blade, not now and not later. And I won't buy into that cult just because I voted for something I'd actually like to have and use.
I read the second sentence.
It contradicts the first sentence.
Out of 5 choices 1 has a wharncliffe blade(not a massive fan myself either)which you will not purchase.I respect your choice .
However I only see that decision as amounting to 80% intent to buy.
Because if it a wharncliffe you won't buy it.
Is that correct?
Yes! we should have input in the interests of practicality, quality & taste.
I know i'll buy one even if a purple & pink ramshorn peanut gets line honours.
Oh and don't forget that when it comes to scale voting either.

"You can have any colour you want so long as it's black" Henry Ford

I'm ok with a wharncliffe trapper or a congress jack (even though I voted for a different pattern)... I'm even ok with a peanut even though I prefer larger knives... but I'm going to draw the line at purple and pink rams horn. If that handle material is chosen, I'm out. ;)

fear not Jake.
But if it was...
i'd still get one
yeeeaah baby.
BTW any idea when the scale poll starts?

Even though my choice is winning I think its only fair that the top 2 square off in another poll thread. Besides choosing a winner (I still hope mine comes out on top) it will also hopefully give the committee a better idea of how many of the winning pattern may be ordered (I assume there will be multiples as well as those who decide not to buy one so hopefully they cancel out).

funny you should mention that...

Back