2012 HTM Forum Gunhammer: *Commitment/Sign-up* thread

I've been thinking about the same thing too. I know it will be a lot easier sharpening the knife on a wicked edge vs the recurve of the Bowie. Idk

They're both great. If they're the same grind height, I'd just look at them and pick the one that YOU think looks sexiest. They're both going to be very easy to sharpen on the Wicked Edge. The recurve is very minimal. Radian isn't a choice, after all.

Just got off the phone with Darrel and have a few updates to pass along:

1. Darrel said that if we get to 50 commitments, the price per knife would drop to $350.

2. Darrel suggested that, to give more people a shot at this and increase the chances of getting to 50 orders (and the $10 price drop), we simply keep the list open until the end of the month. The number of orders at that time is the number that'll end up being produced. So, just to make it official (you can tell it's official by the bold typeface): the list will close to orders at 11:59 p.m. (Pacific time) on July 31, 2012.

3. The down payment/deposit will be in the range we've been discussing, 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the knife (so $120-180, assuming the current $360 total cost).

4. I also asked about the hardness that the S90V would be run at. Darrel said that he'll do whatever we want there (within the realm of physical possibility, of course). So if we want the S90V at ~60 HRC, then that's what he'll do. He did warn us not to come crying to him/HTM if we can't sharpen it, though. ;)

On a slightly different topic, thanks to everyone who has sent emails with contact info, blade/opening preferences, etc. so far. Keep 'em coming if you know what you want (although as mentioned above you have until the end of the month to decide).

60Hrc is fine with me. I like my CPM steels run a hair on the hard side, so 60 is about perfect. And yes, it will be a monster to reprofile.

Whoa Whoa Whoa, wait a second...

I thought the whole point of using S90V was so that we WOULDN'T have to resharpen it haha.

neuron, I sent a PM with my contact info. I still like the Bowie shape - a classic that has remained popular for many years because it just plain works. Nothing negative toward the torpedo, but the Bowie fits my concept of a close to perfect blade. (I would still like to own a radian as that blade shape has real potential.) I support the view that a min blade hardness of 60 Rc would be perfect. I have some blades at that hardness level and they keep an edge for a very long time. The aren't exotic steel, but they cut like a laser. Not so easy to sharpen, but the edge is very long lasting. I can ony imagine this level of hardness in S90V steel that has exceptional edge holding properties to start with. Should be a real winner.

~60to61 HRC sounds right. 60 HRC being judged by many as being "optimum" for S90V,yes?

Last edited:
So per Jim Ankerson's famous edge retention tests, the Spyderco Military and PM2 are run at RC 60 and performed very well. Will the edge retention of this blade surpass the edge retention performance of the aforementioned Spydercos? Does DDR have a secret recipe that makes it so?

I'm not fishing for the secret, I'm just trying to better understand what this awesome blade will do!

So per Jim Ankerson's famous edge retention tests, the Spyderco Military and PM2 are run at RC 60 and performed very well. Will the edge retention of this blade surpass the edge retention performance of the aforementioned Spydercos? Does DDR have a secret recipe that makes it so?

I'm not fishing for the secret, I'm just trying to better understand what this awesome blade will do!

I am not sure he has a secret or anything, but generally a steel like this deserves a quality heat treat where it can be monitored closely and when done in small batches really excels. The spydercos are done well, but in much larger batches. I would imagine the difference, if both are 60Hrc, would be small but in favor of the Gun hammer.

I'm still planning on being a go for this, but I may need to do a down payment. Had a pet in the hospital near death to the tune of 1500 dollars 2 weeks ago, and last night my car got vandalized and my A/C stopped working. I want my Gunny. Universe, leave me alone!

I'm still planning on being a go for this, but I may need to do a down payment. Had a pet in the hospital near death to the tune of 1500 dollars 2 weeks ago, and last night my car got vandalized and my A/C stopped working. I want my Gunny. Universe, leave me alone!

Well if it makes you feel better, and it won't, I fixed the AC in my car today. Ice cold. Mmm.

Back