2015 East Coast Custom Knife Show (ECCKS) • Knives in living color!

Ok, sorry to interrupt an important conversation. I have a sidebar task; showing some more knives... LOL! ;)

••••••••••••••••••••••

Michael Zieba continues to impress me and others. Please pay CLOSE attention to him. You've heard of rising stars...:D

This set below he collaborated with his artist friend Wojtek Orent. He created wooden shells to house the set and then they cast them in concrete with copper wire. They cut the slab in two, and this is the bottom of the two halves. It weighs, well, like a concrete slab. Those are rubber standoffs for the top. It's an unconventional box, but it's also SO cool. Handles are silver G10 fiber with black thick liners.
orig.jpg

The handle is maple burl, and the saya is manga wood. Special finish by Michael.
orig.jpg

Damn the Ivory Torpedoes: Here he has mammoth scales, maple bolsters and a wenge wood scabbard/saya.
orig.jpg

Tim Britton and Corrie Shoeman collaborated on this handmade elegant folder. Great work by both.
orig.jpg

A longtime maker of 'dress tacticals' is the work of Jeremy Krammes. Here's a new design he will reproduce (I love the blade shape!)
Always flowing, always three bearings, always sturdy.
orig.jpg

Simon Nylund (and his brother Jakob) come from Finland and make knives together, but separately. Here is Simon's sweet entry.
orig.jpg

One can never see too much of Antonio Fogarizzu's work. Another 'Cube Evo' folder with stunning gold accents in carbon fiber.
orig.jpg

Koji Hara: The sun, the moon, a sweet pagoda, a leafy plant and a skull. Pearls and gold. What's not to like! :thumbup:
orig.jpg

How engaging is this thematic folder made by legendary Joe Kious, and showcasing C.J. Cai's incredibly imaginative engraving?!
orig.jpg

I mentioned how prominent this show was. When veteran AKI member S.R. Johnson brings me such a monster I do my best to make it look good.
Fully machined from bar stock integral build. (That's cape buffalo horn, not micarta.)
orig.jpg

How about THIS package! Side by side sheath, and wonderfully tasteful checkering.
orig.jpg

I'm getting very close to the end, but I still have a few more to finish.

Now... back to the discussions at hand. :p Thanks.

Coop

I'm learning from the others here. Good discussion, even if it's a sidebar.

My .02¢ on indexed (clocked) screws is: It's value added, not necessarily required.

If the time spent (could be one hour for (8) screws?) requires a cost increase, then the maker has to justify moving to another level of pricing, OR eating this time. They may already be tapped in the hours vs wages area.

I see how some designs predicate timing them (watchmaker precision!) and other want a more organic, less structured feel. Good considerations.

That is a reasonable argument, IMO. But to me that makes a lot more sense on a less expensive knife. When I'm dropping $2K, $3K, $5K, $8K on a knife, the last thing I want to think is that the maker cut corners on something basic like this to increase his profit.

Whats a matter Virginian ? Some one take a crap in your mess kit ?

Cliff

What does that have to do with anything? That is really the best you can offer on this subject - to take a cheap personal shot at me by name?

But let me try to go beyond that and ask some rhetorical questions - of any knife maker who does not index his screws.

Are you a thoughtful knife maker? Do you give much thought to what you are doing and how it will all look and function when you are done? If so, then what is the thought behind just randomly and haphazardly orienting the screws? Are you intentionally trying to accomplish something by that? If so, what? How does that add to the piece? Are there other areas where you take the same approach?

I think those are reasonable questions. YMMV.

Last edited:
Whats a matter Virginian ? Some one take a crap in your mess kit ?

Cliff

Simple question. Yes or No

If it will make you feel better on the screw thing when I make a 3k, 5k, or 8k knife I will index the screws.

Tried to explain why I don't. Not gona do it again. As STeven would say. End OF STORY.

Cliff

Last edited:
Simple question. Yes or No Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Not to deflect the question from Ken, but I'm not even sure that he was in the military, so I'd have to bet that the answer is no.

I get that the tone of how he put his statement might be a bit ruffling, and I even understand the statement by Don about the "organic" aspect of things.

But.....here's the rub. In conversing with Don about the use of slotted screws, he often refers to Bill McHenry and the "New England" School as an influence.

That said, once they got up and running and pushing the envelope, you almost never saw a "naked" slotted screw from Bill, Jason or anyone who studied with them. The screws had extensive filework that turned it into something else entirely.

Here are some photos of what I am talking about.

The McHenry knife was called Skin Deep and made for my business partner. It was originally handled in mocha colored Mammoth ivory......which would not stop shrinking, no matter what Bill did to it.

I got Butch Vallotton to re-handle it in white MOP, because Bill was tired of screwing with it...the day he delivered it to me at the OKCA show, I sold it to Don Guild(these photos are from his website) for a massive profit.....whoever has it, still has an amazing knife. I would point out the extensive filework, carving and inlay on the spine, which I had never seen done this way until Bill did it.

As a cautionary tale, Bill was never lacking in talent, but he is filled with venom and took a particular joy in screwing with his customers that he deemed somehow inferior. I see many makers share that same trait.....it's not good for business.
2hov593.jpg

This one is by Jason Williams
vnjs77.jpg

The screws on Jason's piece are not indexed in the same plane, but they are clearly aligned with thought and precision.

These are big knives as well, the blade on the McHenry was almost five inches long, the blade on the Williams 4 1/2".

All these "superlative" knives that Coop has posted take nothing away from the fact that the knives I just posted were made over 20 years ago and are still fresh and relevant....even influential....Bill was the first maker EVER to crack $10,000 for a modern made automatic knife.

This last photo is a knife of mine, it was a gift from my last girlfriend before I got married. It has awesome Koa scales and the screws are indexed, student of Bill McHenry's named Bill Saindon...it's plenty organic looking to my eyes.
2ykl11w.jpg

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Point taken STeven,
If I have in any way sounded Like some one is inferior that was not my intention.

Cliff

Last edited:
Point taken STeven,

And if I have in any way sound like some one is inferior that is not my intention. Just got an opinion like everyone else.

Don't know how I wound up with part of this posted twice. Sorry

Cliff

Last edited:
Point taken STeven,

And if I have in any way sound like some one is inferior that is not my intention. Just got an opinion like everyone else.

Don't know how I wound up with part of this posted twice. Sorry, Cliff

No worries, amigo, told you, we are always good!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I am sorry, STeven, I do not see the thought and precision in the screw alignment in the Williams knife (I like it very much and think it's a fine piece) Please let me know the significance of the alignment there, and would very much like to hear your thoughts on it.

This is my opinion on the alignment issue. I think, as opinions go, it is no more or less valid than any other opinion. It is how I feel about the matter and can not be "wrong", just different.

There is a tradition in one style of knife making where some of the hammer marks and oxide from the forge are left on the blade. There is also a tradition where the handle material is left to run wild like the "popcorn" on some stag handles or the natural curl of a sheep horn or the button or "burl" on deer antler. It's organic, natural. It, in my opinion, would not be appropriate to align any of the screw slots on such a knife, it would be detrimental to the whole vibe that the knife maker (artist) was trying to convey with that piece. I think it would not do a John Cohea knife justice to align any of the screw slots on it if it was to have slotted screws. To say that the guy (not John, any guy) was lazy because he didn't align the screws is kind of insulting in my opinion. It is his vision of the piece, to me it has nothing to do with his knowledge, his laziness, cutting corners or trying to save time (money) on the project. (At least it wouldn't be for me)

Any one that has acquired the skills to make the knives we see in this thread can figure out how to align the slots in his screws if he felt it would enhance the vision he was seeking.

Because I write this, it does not mean I think anyone who feels differently is wrong. In my opinion, everyone is entitled to an opinion of their own. Hopefully, if you think I'm wrong, you can tell me in a civilized way. If we don't have respect for one another, there is no point in even talking.

I apologize for the lecture. Soon, I will climb off of the soap box.

Great looking knives, great looking images. These images have done what (I think) images like these are supposed to do, they have inspired spirited debate about knives, and hopefully a sharing of knowledge and ideas. They have for me.

Thank you Coop for the pictures and allowing us to use this thread for more than just saying "Nice knives and nice images"

To be clear, just the first paragraph was directed at you STeven, the rest was for general consumption, and a little for Coop.

Respectfully, Mark

Last edited:
I am sorry, STeven, I do not see the thought and precision in the screw alignment in the Williams knife (I like it very much and think it's a fine piece) Please let me know the significance of the alignment there, and would very much like to hear your thoughts on it.

I'll have to bust out my Photoshop tomorrow to show you the axis they follow, but if I remember correctly on that one, if you draw the lines that follow the angles it forms a "w" for Williams. The pivot screws on both knives have their first and last initials cut in with files. "W.M." for Bill McHenry, and "J.W." for Jason Williams....the other side of the pivot is fileworked and carved to look like a flower/sun pattern on the McHenry and the Williams, it is the same on my Saindon.

I'll leave you to your traditions. Those WildRose knives, a lot of John's work, many of the "buckskinner/Rendezvous" knives....there are not on my radar. I don't know many collectors of them, and haven't spent much time talking with the makers either. I simply don't care for that style, and never have. Making something new look old is counter intuitive to me at a molecular level, unless you are doing Last of the Mohican replicas.

I DO have a lovely Raymond Richard knife that came from a time that the sheath was not very good. It was quite suited for a sheath from John, and he did a fantastic sheath, and it cost almost as much as the knife, and there is no way that I could ever get my money back on the package, but it still looks very cool, and there are no regrets there.

Now....you are a smart man, Mark. There is no general aspect of John Cohea's knives that follow the precision of the models shown above....he makes knives that are "instant" antiques....doesn't mean it is easy, or imprecise for what it is....but I do wonder if John ever uses a micrometer or calipers in his creations. There is a wide range of possibility in knives.

Will try to get the Photoshop done for you tomorrow....it's gonna be a busy day.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

This is a virtual knife show by all means....Chit chat and all (i mean in a positive way!!!)...please Coop, post some photos of coffee 'n' snack stands :)
I don't like to use checkboxes when appreciating a work of art, neither for maker's name, country or dialed screws.
Dialing the screws is not time consuming, nor difficult for a knifemaker in the overall labour required to make the knife, and there are definitely designs in which all those oriented screws are as icky and pedantic as a shelf of books in an ordered row by heights or a countertop with items disposed as a deck of an aircraft carrier ship.
Other times they have part in the overall geometry scheme and look good well dialed...imo that's the case for straight lines design knives.

great thread, Coop! You have really mastered your art, that's for sure.
I personally would have preferred just pics and attaboys, but Mark's last post there was a good read.

I can take or leave indexed screws, they look fine on some knives, not so fine on others. I do have a problem when someone says screws must be indexed on all custom folders with slots. Or when I'm called a lazy bastard for not doin it. :cool:

I don't do it because I'm lazy, but because I feel its insignificant on the style of knives I build. The 0-80 screws on most of my larger folders seem to blend in and almost disappear, until Coop or Caleb photographs them...

I've built around 2000 folders with screws in 20 years and only two people have ever mentioned indexing screws, STeven & Ken (The Virginian). Never even thought about it, until it was brought up here a while back and when Ken brought it up after buying one of my folders a year or so ago.

I have no beef about it, just don't tell me I Have to do it! I might try it soon? And if Steven or Ken wants another knife from me and ask for indexed screws, we will see...

Please don't insinuate that Cliff and I are cutting corners & making an inferior product because we don't index the screw slots. That is not even close to the truth here!

Here are a couple random examples of randomly and haphazardly oriented screws... I'm goin fishin'.:D

Simple question. Yes or No

If it will make you feel better on the screw thing when I make a 3k, 5k, or 8k knife I will index the screws.

Tried to explain why I don't. Not gona do it again. As STeven would say. End OF STORY.

Cliff

It is a rude and sarcastic "question" - and the only "answer" it merits would ignite this thread into a personal flame war, which I have thus far attempted to avoid. We can move over to the appropriate forum and do that if you really want. I would prefer not to. Until this point, I have no personal feelings of ill-will towards you.

I never called you out here or said anything to or about you personally - on this thread or anywhere else. I am pretty sure the only time I have even mentioned you or your knives at BF was on a very few threads over the years where folks posted up pictures of your knives here and I believe I have generally praised them. Which makes it all the more difficult to fathom where this is coming from.

Don't want to index your screws? Then don't.

But don't take repeated, personal, cheap shots, at me that you would clearly not do to someone here like STeven whom you know personally.

Don't agree with my opinion on the subject? Fine - it's a free country. Feel free to walk on by without comment, or to respond to the opinion - not to personally ask me sarcastic questions in a public forum.

For example . . .

This is my opinion on the alignment issue. I think, as opinions go, it is no more or less valid than any other opinion. It is how I feel about the matter and can not be "wrong", just different.

There is a tradition in one style of knife making where some of the hammer marks and oxide from the forge are left on the blade. There is also a tradition where the handle material is left to run wild like the "popcorn" on some stag handles or the natural curl of a sheep horn or the button or "burl" on deer antler. It's organic, natural. It, in my opinion, would not be appropriate to align any of the screw slots on such a knife, it would be detrimental to the whole vibe that the knife maker (artist) was trying to convey with that piece. I think it would not do a John Cohea knife justice to align any of the screw slots on it if it was to have slotted screws. To say that the guy (not John, any guy) was lazy because he didn't align the screws is kind of insulting in my opinion. It is his vision of the piece, to me it has nothing to do with his knowledge, his laziness, cutting corners or trying to save time (money) on the project. (At least it wouldn't be for me)

Any one that has acquired the skills to make the knives we see in this thread can figure out how to align the slots in his screws if he felt it would enhance the vision he was seeking.

Because I write this, it does not mean I think anyone who feels differently is wrong. In my opinion, everyone is entitled to an opinion of their own. Hopefully, if you think I'm wrong, you can tell me in a civilized way. If we don't have respect for one another, there is no point in even talking.

I apologize for the lecture. Soon, I will climb off of the soap box.

Great looking knives, great looking images. These images have done what (I think) images like these are supposed to do, they have inspired spirited debate about knives, and hopefully a sharing of knowledge and ideas. They have for me.

Thank you Coop for the pictures and allowing us to use this thread for more than just saying "Nice knives and nice images"

To be clear, just the first paragraph was directed at you STeven, the rest was for general consumption, and a little for Coop.

Respectfully, Mark

A thoughtful opinion. If you would take the time, I would love to see some examples of these knives of which you speak where haphazard screw orientations constituted an improvement to the piece over indexed screws. I am certainly open minded enough to consider the possibility - I have just not seen it. Then again, I admit a lack of appreciation of so-called brut de forge and similar "rustic" elements on expensive knives. Maybe random screws falls into that same milieu.

I just have never seen a knife where it occurred to me that the maker's random orientation of the screws was a deliberate, thoughtful, feature that clearly added to the knife, and that the knife would have been "less" if the screws were indexed. I generally feel this way about all fit and finish elements of a knife. But again, I am open to consider the possibility of something different! I have changed my opinions on a lot of things knife and non-knife related over the years. Open and honest discussion can do that.

I can take or leave indexed screws, they look fine on some knives, not so fine on others. I do have a problem when someone says screws must be indexed on all custom folders with slots. Or when I'm called a lazy bastard for not doin it. :cool:

I don't do it because I'm lazy, but because I feel its insignificant on the style of knives I build. The 0-80 screws on most of my larger folders seem to blend in and almost disappear, until Coop or Caleb photographs them...

I've built around 2000 folders with screws in 20 years and only two people have ever mentioned indexing screws, STeven & Ken (The Virginian). Never even thought about it, until it was brought up here a while back and when Ken brought it up after buying one of my folders a year or so ago.

I have no beef about it, just don't tell me I Have to do it! I might try it soon? And if Steven or Ken wants another knife from me and ask for indexed screws, we will see...

Please don't insinuate that Cliff and I are cutting corners & making an inferior product because we don't index the screw slots. That is not even close to the truth here!

Here are a couple random examples of randomly and haphazardly oriented screws... I'm goin fishin'.:D

I would never presume to tell anyone how they have to make a knife - unless they are making it for me and I am paying for it. :)

I would presume to offer my opinions here on features of knives that are posted here that appeal to me and those which I find unappealing - and to state my reasons for those opinions. But they are just opinions, and we can all have different opinions on a lot of things without anyone necessarily being "right" or "wrong." And I know that you are plenty smart enough to realize that whether or not opinions on your and other makers' knives are posted here at BF, collectors do share opinions amongst themselves via e-mails, telephone conversations, at shows, etc.

Personally, I would never call you a lazy bastard. Just because one goes fishin' from time to time, does not make one a lazy bastard. I do not know you NEARLY well enough to make that kind of judgment about you as a person anyway.

Me - I veg out often on Sundays in front of the TV during NFL season. Is that a lazy behavior? Yep!! Does it make me a "lazy bastard?" I think it is unfair to label a person as lazy based on one lazy habit in a life full of all sorts of other behaviors. YMMV.

Finally, there are a LOT of very high end collectors with high six and seven figure collections who do not post here. I think it would be a mistake for anyone to think that STeven and I are the only collectors who place importance on these sorts of details. I am not saying that anyone actually said that we are the only ones - I just want to be clear in case anyone has what I believe is the wrong idea about this just because STeven and I tend to be (almost) the only ones who comment on this.

To "The Virginian", the tone and content of your posts clearly give the underlying reasons why you cannot accept randomly aligned screws in a custom knife. Remember, art in all fields, be it knives, music, sculpture, literature, etc. is not an exercise in the achievement of perfection, or in this case, perfect alignment.

Great shots Coop. You've got the best eye in the business. Thanks for the effort :)

I'll have to bust out my Photoshop tomorrow to show you the axis they follow, but if I remember correctly on that one, if you draw the lines that follow the angles it forms a "w" for Williams. The pivot screws on both knives have their first and last initials cut in with files. "W.M." for Bill McHenry, and "J.W." for Jason Williams....the other side of the pivot is fileworked and carved to look like a flower/sun pattern on the McHenry and the Williams, it is the same on my Saindon.

I'll leave you to your traditions. Those WildRose knives, a lot of John's work, many of the "buckskinner/Rendezvous" knives....there are not on my radar. I don't know many collectors of them, and haven't spent much time talking with the makers either. I simply don't care for that style, and never have. Making something new look old is counter intuitive to me at a molecular level, unless you are doing Last of the Mohican replicas.

I DO have a lovely Raymond Richard knife that came from a time that the sheath was not very good. It was quite suited for a sheath from John, and he did a fantastic sheath, and it cost almost as much as the knife, and there is no way that I could ever get my money back on the package, but it still looks very cool, and there are no regrets there.

Now....you are a smart man, Mark. There is no general aspect of John Cohea's knives that follow the precision of the models shown above....he makes knives that are "instant" antiques....doesn't mean it is easy, or imprecise for what it is....but I do wonder if John ever uses a micrometer or calipers in his creations. There is a wide range of possibility in knives.

Will try to get the Photoshop done for you tomorrow....it's gonna be a busy day.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Thanks STeven, Your reply is enough please don't illustrate it (in interest of valuable time). I think most would agree the screws look like they tightened in a random fashion. I think they look fine but on these knives and others of this class they would look better with aligned screw slots. Certainly, I only used John Cohea's style as an example on that extreme end of the spectrum to illustrate my point. I never implied that anyone would advocate aligned slots on his style of knives. The line where the screws should begin to show up with aligned slots is somewhere between John's work and the examples in this thread. In my opinion the decision where that line lies is best left to the maker (artist) and maybe the guy ordering the knife on custom orders.

I also do not begrudge anybody in this audience the right to his own opinion as to where that line lies, but that's only his opinion, no more or less valid than mine. Where I have a problem is where people state an opinion as a fact and then insult a man for having a different opinion.

I also don't have anything against anyone making suggestions on how I might make my (or anyone else) knives better when it is written as a suggestion and not an insult.

You can't argue with success and there are lots of successful makers that never aligned a slot. You may not want to buy from them but why do you want to cut them off at the knees. I aspire to be like some of these makers (though I will never make a knife in the geometric scheme, probably).

Here's a funny story. I hired an electrician to wire a building for me, when he was all done I noticed all of the screw slots on the switch plates were aligned throughout the whole building. I thought it was classy, not necessary but classy. I knew that if this guy was going to align all the screw slots, I probably didn't need to check inside any of the boxes behind him. I know I paid extra for his professionalism but I hope he didn't ding me extra for aligning the slots on the screws.

One more quick story, when I was a kid, just out of high school I had an interest in gunsmithing (this was before I had gone to work with two different area smith). I had cleaned up and fixed all the family guns, polished and re-blued them. Soon all the family friends were bring over guns for me to "re-do". One was a "hardware store" double with the "Crescent Arms" name on it, the kind sold for about $5.00 in the early Sears and Roebuck catalogs. It was a little rusty, had no blueing left on it and some of the screw slots had been improperly torqued with the wrong screw driver. I knew at that time that the finer doubles all had aligned screw slots so I replaced all the screws and aligned all the slots. I actually used allen head cap machine screws of the appropriate sizes. The heads needed to be turned down a little to fit in the counter bore in the receiver. I did that by chucking them in a drill press and filing the heads till they fit snugly. The heads on the cap screws sat high enough that when tightened with an allen wrench I could sand them down to almost flush, cut in a starter slot with the proper alignment, back the screw out and finish the slot. The head was then sanded flush. When the gun was done, it looked nice. The family friend appreciated the work I had done, but I don't think he cared that I had taken the time to align all the slots. On a shotgun that was worth maybe fifty bucks at the time, I'm not sure it was warranted. Was it worth my time? Maybe, that's where I learned how to align slots and honestly, my time wasn't worth that much.

All the best, Mark

Last edited:
To "The Virginian", the tone and content of your posts clearly give the underlying reasons why you cannot accept randomly aligned screws in a custom knife. Remember, art in all fields, be it knives, music, sculpture, literature, etc. is not an exercise in the achievement of perfection, or in this case, perfect alignment.

Great shots Coop. You've got the best eye in the business. Thanks for the effort :)

FYI, I have paid substantial money for knives with randomly aligned screws, and I have such knives in my collection. So I can indeed "accept" randomly aligned screws. However in all of these cases, I definitely believe the knife would have been "better" with properly aligned screws. Again, others surely have different opinions, but that is mine. And as you noted, I have explained the underlying reasons behind that opinion.

You say what you believe that art isn't. You do not say what you believe it is.

To me, art is an expression of an emotion or idea through imagination and/or technical skills. As an expression of an emotion or idea, it is thoughtful. It is purposeful. It is intentional. I do not understand what is thoughtful, purposeful, intentional, or "artful" about just sticking in the screws any old way they happen to turn out. Nor do I perceive other aspects of knife making (forging a blade to a random shape?) where this is widely practiced.

I am certainly willing to concede that perhaps I am just not astute or refined enough yet to appreciate why random screws are actually better - or even more "artful" - on some or all knives. Like I said, I like to try to keep an open mind, so hopefully I will figure it out in the course of time by reading what others have to say about it. Who knows - maybe in five years I will be posting here about the wonders of random screws. Stranger things have happened. But if I do, I hope I can and will provide a reason for the change in opinion.

man, did this thread ever get screwy!

Back