2016 Shot show, Eric Glesser shows some new models!

With all this talk about the compression lock, I have a question.

The only compression lock model I have so far is the PM2. One thing I like about it is that it falls open and closed so easily that one-handed use is a breeze. To close it, all I have to do is depress the lock release tab and it falls shut by gravity. Nice.

But my Sage 1, for example, although smooth, does not fall free like that. I don't mind because it is a liner lock and one-handed closing is easy. My thumb depresses the lock bar, and my index finger closes the blade. But with a compression lock Sage 5, if the blade doesn't fall free like it does on the PM2, to close it one-handed I would have to depress the lock release tab, "shake" the blade partway, release the tab, and then close it. It's not as easy/smooth as the PM2.

My question is this. Does the PM2's free-falling action have something to do with the compression lock? And if so, will the other compression lock models have similar action?

I don't know for sure, but it may have to do with the pivot that the PM2 has. Its not a normal, everyday set-up. It is some kind of bushing pivot or something like that. Someone who knows a lot more about it will likely come along and explain it better than I.

The only compression lock model I have so far is the PM2. One thing I like about it is that it falls open and closed so easily that one-handed use is a breeze. To close it, all I have to do is depress the lock release tab and it falls shut by gravity. Nice.

But my Sage 1, for example, although smooth, does not fall free like that. I don't mind because it is a liner lock and one-handed closing is easy. My thumb depresses the lock bar, and my index finger closes the blade. But with a compression lock Sage 5, if the blade doesn't fall free like it does on the PM2, to close it one-handed I would have to depress the lock release tab, "shake" the blade partway, release the tab, and then close it. It's not as easy/smooth as the PM2.

My question is this. Does the PM2's free-falling action have something to do with the compression lock? And if so, will the other compression lock models have similar action?
I think that's because all of Spyderco's compression lock models have a bushing pivot, which limits how tight the pivot can be, and gives you the free falling action. The downside is that doing it properly requires much tighter tolerances than usual in the machining of the bushing, and doing it wrong can result in side to side blade play. CRKs and Rocksteads have bushing pivots for example, which is part of the reason they're known for their close tolerances.

Yes, that is more or less a characteristic of the Compression-lock.
If the pivot is adjusted properly, and more toward the loose side, then it will free swing as long as you hold the Compression-lock down where the detent ball does not touch the blade.
Can't do that on a liner lock because your finger is in the way.
Weight of the blade can have a perceptible feel related to this also. The Yojimbo 2 for example will feel like it swings even faster.

The Szabo is a different example though... just keep in mind.

The Junior, should you ever fancy that, is designed to not free fall for example. Free falling or not depends on many factors though. I have liner and frame locks, and even a mid lock that free falls.

Thanks for the replies.

Didn't mean to jack the thread, just curious about the compression lock since there are so many coming out.

I'm a big fan of the PM2 and the Sage series and I was just hoping that the Sage 5 will have that same sweet action.

I'm excited about all these new models. It's a great time to be a Spydie fan! :D

So excited for the ATR. It was my second Spyderco back in the day.
I will be getting one without a doubt.

BTW is the minuteman a TI frame version of the para?

As expected, the lineup varies between home runs and and complete strikeouts for me. First, I can already tell the Pattada will be a ASAP must-buy for me. What a perfect knife, 3D G-10, perfect blade shape with sharp tip, and deep carry pocket clip. Sign me up for at least two. At least. Second, the Mantra 2. I'm a Spyderco fan that begrudgingly puts up with the spyderhole because of the overall high-quality, but man that knife hits it out of the park.

As for the bad, who actually carries/uses those large, goofball knives (Thighe [sp] and Mamba)? If I saw someone whip one of those out, ever, I'd double over in laughter. What joke knives, they look like something you'd buy at a truckstop as a goof. Absolutely hideous and impractical. I wish Spyderco would eschew knives like that from their lineup.

Second, the Mantra 2. I'm a Spyderco fan that begrudgingly puts up with the spyderhole because of the overall high-quality, but man that knife hits it out of the park.

As for the bad, who actually carries/uses those large, goofball knives (Thighe [sp] and Mamba)? If I saw someone whip one of those out, ever, I'd double over in laughter. What joke knives, they look like something you'd buy at a truckstop as a goof. Absolutely hideous and impractical. I wish Spyderco would eschew knives like that from their lineup.

I think Spyderco knows that some people would rather have a slim folder while others like the traditional Spyderco form. It was brilliant of them to offer both Mantra AND Mantra 2 to cater to both audiences.

For Spyderco flippers I'm definitely in the slim narrow width camp of Mantra 2, Southard and Positron but not Domino, Dice and Mantra. Rubicon is in the middle.

I'm not a fan of excessively wide Spyderco folders to accommodate a big Spydie hole. The worst example is the tumor coming out of the fugly Jot Singh Khalsa!

C40G_L.jpg

Last edited:
Nirvana at 11:26, Small Vallotton at 16:52.

[video=youtube_share;gRy5Ah3d558]http://youtu.be/gRy5Ah3d558[/video]

Glad to see a mention of the Nirvana. That's on my short list but it seems like it'll never hit the shelves. Definitely liking the new Spyderco lineup.

Yes, that is more or less a characteristic of the Compression-lock.
If the pivot is adjusted properly, and more toward the loose side, then it will free swing as long as you hold the Compression-lock down where the detent ball does not touch the blade.

From the factory, does the pivot on a PM2 have Loc-Tite securing it? I've tried to adjust the pivot on my new PM2, but it won't budge.

From the factory, does the pivot on a PM2 have Loc-Tite securing it? I've tried to adjust the pivot on my new PM2, but it won't budge.

It may have a bit of loc-tite already in it, but 243 isn't that strong. Are you trying tighten or loosen? Also be aware that the more you mess with it, the less effect the thread locker will have.

I'm sure all of those above mentioned designers are quite proud of their knives, and appreciative of Spydercos efforts to collaborate and produce them. Spyderco apparently saw enough reason and thought behind each of those designs to decide to bring them to the table. I highly respect that. If you don't enjoy how they look, then don't buy them. No reason to disrespect.

It may have a bit of loc-tite already in it, but 243 isn't that strong. Are you trying tighten or loosen? ...

I'm trying to loosen. My first PM2 swings closed easily, but my newer PM2 is quite a bit stiffer.

I think Spyderco knows that some people would rather have a slim folder while others like the traditional Spyderco form. It was brilliant of them to offer both Mantra AND Mantra 2 to cater to both audiences.

For Spyderco flippers I'm definitely in the slim narrow width camp of Mantra 2, Southard and Positron but not Domino, Dice and Mantra. Rubicon is in the middle.

I'm not a fan of excessively wide Spyderco folders to accommodate a big Spydie hole. The worst example is the tumor coming out of the fugly Jot Singh Khalsa!

C40G_L.jpg

Yikes

Is there some place that just shows pics of the new models? Condor, Kershaw, and Cold Steel all have an "upcoming 2016 releases" page on their websites showing all the upcoming models, does Spyderco have something like that somewhere that I'm overlooking or something? I'd like to see what is coming out, but I have no desire to sit through a 20+ minute video to do so.

Back