2017 John White MS Memorial BEST BOWIE Thread - Vote for FINALISTS!!

Hello Peder, I have let it go, haven't even thought of him since that thread of 6 years ago. However IMO it's important to give newer and/or uninformed collectors all the help we can. That's one reason why I helped found and was president of the Custom Knife Collectors Association for many years.

Having said that, while I certainly hope Steve is doing well and hopefully making right the thousands of dollars worth of knives he was paid for yet never delivered to collectors, if we are going to promote his work here via this contest I feel full disclosure is warranted for any newer collectors who may not know the circumstances and perhaps consider future purchase from him.
Anyway, let's get back to the contest.

Hello Kevin, It is nice to know that you are worried about new collectors - I share your attitude towards integrity and honesty. I do not know Steve Filicietti, but I could easily imagine that he has learned the lesson by now. I am furthermore not aware if he economically has made up for his deeds, but I do know that a second chance in life sometimes can change a man. Enough said - so many fantastic bowies this year - but as more have said, we miss a lot of makers - no Bump, no Vandeventer, no Foster, no Zfreddo, no Andersson, no Bergh, no Lisch, no Dean, no Dunn etc, etc. Believe me when I say that they all have made great knives in 2017, but perhaps they do not like to participate.
All the Best
Peder

tally me bowienana
oCleuxa.jpg

Hello Kevin, It is nice to know that you are worried about new collectors - I share your attitude towards integrity and honesty. I do not know Steve Filicietti, but I could easily imagine that he has learned the lesson by now. I am furthermore not aware if he economically has made up for his deeds, but I do know that a second chance in life sometimes can change a man. Enough said - so many fantastic bowies this year - but as more have said, we miss a lot of makers - no Bump, no Vandeventer, no Foster, no Zfreddo, no Andersson, no Bergh, no Lisch, no Dean, no Dunn etc, etc. Believe me when I say that they all have made great knives in 2017, but perhaps they do not like to participate.
All the Best
Peder

They don’t have to participate you can enter any knife that you like including ones they have made.....I’m not sure why no one has entered knives from these makers but that is their loss and should not detract from the knives others have entered

Post 23- 1. Franco Takedown Bowie. This will probably be the knife I think of when I hear Bowie Knife in the future.

They don’t have to participate you can enter any knife that you like including ones they have made.....I’m not sure why no one has entered knives from these makers but that is their loss and should not detract from the knives others have entered

Thank you Joe - spot on in every respect, as usual.

so many fantastic bowies this year - but as more have said, we miss a lot of makers - no Bump, no Vandeventer, no Foster, no Zfreddo, no Andersson, no Bergh, no Lisch, no Dean, no Dunn etc, etc. Believe me when I say that they all have made great knives in 2017, but perhaps they do not like to participate.
All the Best
Peder
A large number of the entries were submitted by people other than makers. Others mentioned Lisch knives, but in the case of some of the other guys, I may just that we didn't see any qualifying knives from them in BFC this year. This may be the first year of the contest that we haven't seen a Sfreddo, Bump or Foster knife. We see very fews Berghs, but that is likely because there are very few Berghs and most of them get snapped up in Europe. A few years back, he had a table at Gembloux ands first sale of Saturday morning was the buzz of the show. Some guy dropped 20,000 Euros in 500 euro bill for a damascus axe.

Thank you gentlemen - we are now CLOSED FOR VOTING

As far as I am concerned, the assembly of knives nominated are nothing short of spectacular and I wish to extend my thanks to all the makers for their inspiring work in 2017. As has been the case for this competition for over a decade, the nominees demonstrate that the bowie genre is alive and well.

My sincere thanks also to the participants who nominated these fine knives and voted for their inclusion in the final round. By taking the time and effort to post up these knives for consideration you have helped to create a lasting snapshot of the state of the bowie for 2017 - not to mention an impressive visual treat. Your thoughtful comments have been much enjoyed and appreciated as well.

Finally, a nod to the photographers - in particular to Coop, who has been an avid supporter of this annual gathering, not to mention a true keeper of the faith in custom knives as a whole.

Your 2017 finalists in alphabetical order:

Dionatam Franco - Massive D-Guard Bowie

orig.png

Ben Seward Talisman Bowie

orig.jpg

CAS San Mai Bowie

orig.jpg

CAS / Sam Lurquin Best of Show

orig.jpg

Mike Quesenberry Dogbone Bowie

xlarge.jpg

Congrats to the finalists!!

As usual, I will turn it over to Lorien to start a separate thread for final voting - which generally runs for 48hrs from the starting gun. Lorien will post a link here to make the cross-reference easy.

Cheers everyone - looking forward to the final phase!

As usual, I will turn it over to Lorien to start a separate thread for final voting - which generally runs for 48hrs from the starting gun. Lorien will post a link here to make the cross-reference easy.

Cheers everyone - looking forward to the final phase!

the final vote thread will go live tomorrow and will end some time next year

So many great knives to choose from yet again! Here's my choice;

Post 1#8 Mike Quessenberry.

Post 2 Fisk American Bowie.

Post 13 Hofsommer split ring Bowie.

Post 25 White Tiger split ring Bowie.

Post 47 Seward Nighthawk.

Post 51 Bingenheimer Bowie.

Post 74. Andersen Bowie.

Well said, Joe - I know the procedure, but I would never post anything unless I got a green light from the maker first. But there is definately no reason to be unhappy - it is nice to see something new and slightly different. But in order to accomodate all theese nice knives, why not make let´s say three categories (best integral bowie, best take-down bowie and best "traditional" bowie)?

Well said, Joe - I know the procedure, but I would never post anything unless I got a green light from the maker first. But there is definately no reason to be unhappy - it is nice to see something new and slightly different. But in order to accomodate all theese nice knives, why not make let´s say three categories (best integral bowie, best take-down bowie and best "traditional" bowie)?

I think the fun is being torn between the different styles .....it makes for a more compelling contest ....IMHO

Honestly, I think many more categories and it would become too much work for me. And part of the fun is just seeing what specific knife, from among all the different styles, stands out to me as the DEFINITION of bowie that year. And then I also enjoy seeing how wrong other people's choices are :)

Back