1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2017 - Tons Of New Items Listed!

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by insta9ves, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    My guess would be they reversed the numbers and we're probably looking at Hrc 56 or so. But still, an SK5 SRK for $42 strikes me as a damn good deal.

2. G. Scott H.

G. Scott H.

Jan 9, 2006
    ~65rc would be the quenched hardness with no tempering. I'm betting Insipid is correct that it was a reversal of the numerals. 56 sounds a lot more like it. ;)

3. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    +1 on this, i'll take the stats listed there with grain of salt until the official announcement.

4. daybd

daybd

Oct 13, 2006
    hkyew
    The site says its a DROP POINT. That's the only difference.
    Tooo bad they still use 4116 Cryo quenched soft sh$t instead of a decent steel in the ProLite series. VERY DISAPPOINTING :(

Glad to see some new stuff though.

5. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Opps missed the details. Thanks. Drop point is great. Yeah I wished they would have at least used the AUS8 steel. They did it for the finnwolf which has identical size and similar priced, so I don't understand the logic here..

6. ourgon

ourgon

Feb 27, 2013
    PICS or didn't happen.

7. GCG199

GCG199

Apr 26, 2001
    I went back and checked some older catalogs from over a decade ago.

It turns out that the Night Force was a leaf-spring (linerlock) lock folder from 2002.

It was one of the first products that were made in Taiwan.

It had 440A clipped point blade too, very close to the current Voyager clip point.

It will be interesting to see if they kept the leaf-spring lock.

8. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Also interesting to note that the 4-MAX will be produced in Italy, see picture below, the blade is marked "Italy"

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  9. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Removed

10. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Looks like the Rajah and Counter Pointer series with grivory handles also have improved traction.

11. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Italy, huh. Lots of talented manufacturers there. Too bad they couldn't make it work in the US. I guess Trump didn't call them. :D
    I suppose that the US-made 4Max will be more collectible?

12. GCG199

GCG199

Apr 26, 2001
    Well, Italy sure is steeping up to the plate these days for cutlery production.

hkyew: where are you seeing the stuff you posted above? I would like to see some links for those.

13. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Either that or less due to potential better quality from Italy. Hopefully they are contracting with Lionsteel, the fit and finishes of the Lionsteel that I own is impeccable

14. daybd

daybd

Oct 13, 2006
    Too bad, bud the link now deleted from the forum and now its under the password. I should have saved the pics, damn.

But I gotta tell you that some of the designs are one of the ugliest I've ever seen :( Good thing that there were only a few of them.

15. daybd

daybd

Oct 13, 2006
    Steve Austin "Working man" is a cool variation of the well known Pro Lite. But again I don't get it ...working knife for working men made of 4116....it looks like a freaking joke. A love the blade profile though.

SR1 is gonna be a real BIG HIT!

16. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    That was my thought as well.

17. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Yep that's possible. Wonder if the MSRP will be higher.

18. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    It was pulled and made private. CS isn't ready to show them to public yet

19. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Which one do you think is particularly ugly? I just think the new opening hole+ramp is a little too funky for my taste... my favorite has got to be the immortal. I wished they made a spear point version instead of just tanto

20. G. Scott H.

G. Scott H.

Jan 9, 2006
    Italian 4-MAXs? Designed by Andrew Demkolini? :D Italian production is fine by me, as long as the quality is there. Maybe they'll be more readily available now as well (fingers crossed). :thumbup: