2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

8eNfFjS.jpg

Just got my order of Possum Skinners in and I am very impressed! The knife is very slim and comfortable, and a pattern (single spring) that you just don't see much anymore, especially in 'jack knife' size; I consider this a 'double ended serpentine jack' just like a couple of our previous forum knife versions! Pretty neat. :thumbsup:

Bill did two-blade single-spring versions of the 81 and 66 as well, but there weren't as many made. :oops::oops::oops:

GZVq8Iu.jpg

XWGwATY.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the mail man delivered my mail rather late last night, I guess they are still playing holiday catch-up. Since I was expecting my new 82 as well as a couple of other knives yesterday, I got pretty nervous for a bit there...

Regardless, the #82 Stockman in Elderberry Jigged Bone has arrived and I am quite delighted with it. With a couple of minor exceptions, it is very much akin to my 82 in Stag. I would say the pulls are a tad heavier (particularly on the clip main) and the drop point secondary is somewhat stiff but that feels more like there is some crud that needs flushing out versus an overly tight pivot.

It is slimmer than my Stag which, though I like the hand filling properties of the Stag, I will enjoy the Elderberry's more pocket friendly nature.

The thing that really hits it where it counts for me though, is the richly hued Elderberry bone. It is simply stunning. Why they could not achieve that depth of color in the recent run of Blood red 85s leaves me a bit puzzled. Regardless, the rich color paired with the Bomb shield is an extremely classy look and I have become very taken with it.

d6rsHHF.jpg

gMMIjxb.jpg

0u6D1GU.jpg

8XcjeV6.jpg

SJ5uv4T.jpg

gunstockjack gunstockjack That IS a fine slim penknife:cool: All the advantages of 2 blades but the slimline of a single:D That's why a single-spring two blade is my favourite pattern. Can't wait for mine to get here;)

Pàdruig Pàdruig That bone is rich :thumbsup:excellent pictures of the knife and again it's the same as I have en route:cool:

Possum skinner owners - how do you like the pulls on these? How heavy do the springs get?
I would say pretty close to perfect for a slender, non-halfstop opposite end knife. My clip is stonger than the wharney, but both are noticeably stonger than my #82 stockman. Just a smidgen more on the pull would be ideal. I'd rate my Possum skinner as a 5.5 on the clip and a 5 on the warncliffe. 6 on both would be perfect to me. But I feel the pulls are better on the Possum Skinners than the #35 Churchills. Good snap on both blades.

Last edited:
I would say pretty close to perfect for a slender, non-halfstop opposite end knife. My clip is stonger than the wharney, but both are noticeably stonger than my #82 stockman. Just a smidgen more on the pull would be ideal. If rate my Possum skinner as a 5.5 on the clip and a 5 on the warncliffe. 6 on both would be perfect to me. But I feel the pulls are better on the Possum Skinners than the #35 Churchills. Good snap on both blades.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for, especially the comparison to the Churchill.

Personally, I prefer the lighter pulls we're seeing on many of the newer GEC runs. When the 82 Possum Skinner is compared to a 79 "Workhorse" from 2013 it's like night and day, and my senior age hands really appreciate the difference. I've come to like the 79 due to it's slim frame (single spring) and pocketability and have carried and used this particular knife a lot. This Possum Skinner has lighter and cleaner action and a great choice of curved and straight blades. It is a super pattern and I'm carrying the micarta model again today, and although it came sharp, I will put the fine diamond Lansky to the blades later, so she cleanly shaves hair (without soap!).

The skinner does have a little firmer pulls then the stockman. Nice tension and very smooth with awesome snap. I have handled a lot of GEC knives over the years and it is up there at the very top. Smooth and snappy without being anywhere close to a nail breaker, what's not to like! The skinner will be in my pocket for a very long time to come.

Bill did two-blade single-spring versions of the 81 and 66 as well, but there weren't as many made. :oops::oops::oops:

GZVq8Iu.jpg

I know about the 66 slim, but the 81? I thought they only ever did a Stockman and then the moose. Do you have one of those 81 single springs? That sounds awesome!

There's also another interesting single-spring pattern the 53 TK Cuban Pen, but rare to chance upon.

Minutes ago (about 7:30pm EST) I got the delivery notice for my Dixie Stockman in Sambar Stag. I rushed to my CanadaPost community mailbox with great anticipation. But I couldn't open my box - the lock is frozen!! Crushed. Tears welling up.

I'll have to wait until daylight hours to solve the lock problem. Sniff.

Minutes ago (about 7:30pm EST) I got the delivery notice for my Dixie Stockman in Sambar Stag. I rushed to my CanadaPost community mailbox with great anticipation. But I couldn't open my box - the lock is frozen!! Crushed. Tears welling up.

I'll have to wait until daylight hours to solve the lock problem. Sniff.
Wow! Guess I AM lucky to live in south Texas! Wore short sleeves today. Think it was in 70s or 80s (Fahrenheit).
Good luck!

I don't have one of those, Jeff... I hemmed and hawed about an ebony Whittler but ultimately passed. If they made a single spring pen pattern on that frame, though... There's be no hemming and hawing about it, that's for sure. I love that big honking clip blade.

anybody have a feel for how many possum skinners have been made in this run ? Nobody's selling out of them yet ...

Back