1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 BF Knife Poll 5.3: Synthetic Handle Materials

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by skblades, May 17, 2018.

1. G10 - $

23 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Linen Micarta - $

97 vote(s)
    37.2%
  3. Canvas Micarta - $

120 vote(s)
    46.0%
  4. Paper Micarta - $

37 vote(s)
    14.2%
  5. Burlap Micarta - $

142 vote(s)
    54.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. skblades

skblades Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Dec 1, 2015
    You are in Poll 5.3: Synthetic Handle Materials

If you are just joining, the knife that has been built thus far for the 2018 BF Knife is a 2 Bladed Buck 301, Clip and Sheepsfoot on opposite ends of the knife. Your blade steel is CPM-154 with a tang stamp and the bolsters are NICKEL SILVER. And it seems to be a lock that both blades will have FFG.

Now that poll 5/8: Handle Materials has given us tons of input for handle choices, we've created 3 new polls. These polls will feature the following broad categories for handle materials:

Poll 5.1: Wood - LINK HERE
    Poll 5.2: Animal - LINK HERE
    Poll 5.3: Synthetic

These polls will run until 5/23. A Champion Material will emerge from each poll, a Wood Material Champion, an Animal Material Champion, and a Synthetic Material Champion. These Champions will face off in a Battle Royale, winner takes all bout.

So, as always, battle it out and choose your champion. To add some spice into the mix, you will be given the ability to VOTE FOR 2 OPTIONS in each poll. After all, if you're choosing your champion, you may as well have 2 horses in the race!

* I think it's fair to ask that if you have no interest in ordering a knife, please do not vote, but please do participate in the discussions!

Sabercat likes this.
  2. SadSappySucker

SadSappySucker

Jul 20, 2014
    I’m really trying to maintain my traditional street cred by rooting for a natural material, but secretly I would love burlap to win.
    I’ve lusted after many knives with burlap but never pulled the trigger. It might be time to change that!

3. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I've wanted burlap for so long. The only Micarta I like and boy does it look great!

Will Power likes this.
  4. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2016
    If I am to have a knife clad in micarta, then I would prefer the rougher stuff like canvas or burlap.

Pomsbz likes this.
  5. Shurke

Shurke

Feb 6, 2018
    Really don't want a synthetic handle, but if it ends up happening I guess that burlap micarta looked okay.

aji1, Rookie82 and tmd_87 like this.
  6. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I could like the rougher stuff on a big fixed blade knife, but not on a pocket knife.

I will admit that the burlap looks kinda cool, for a synthetic. Can someone who's held one tell me what it feels like? Is it slick on top like acrylic, or do the fibers stick out like on the natural canvas we got on last years BF Barlow?

Astronaut FX likes this.
  7. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Burlap or canvas

8. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Burlap Micarta is my first choice. I liked how that sample knife looked with it, in one of the original polls.
    G10 is my second choice. I have a 371 with G10 covers (yeah, the 2015(?) Walmart special), and like those covers. Nice and "grippy". :)

9. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2018
    In general, I truly do like the look of burlap, but compared to other micarta materials, the “weave” of burlap is much less dense, and I’m thinking it looks much, much better on a larger knife, with more surface area in the handle area. With a lager handle, you get more “repeats” of the weave if you take my meaning.

For the small size of the the knife we are designing, I can’t help but think that a micarta material with a tighter weave is going to look much better. I’m thinking burlap may look awkward, or at least not as good as we’d like on a knife the size of a stockman type knife.

Just food for thought as you visualize the final product, since that’s all we can do at this point.

10. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I agree. I only voted for 1 choice, the burlap. Although I would rather have any wood or any animal handle first, so it won't get my vote in the next round.

aji1, Sabercat and Shurke like this.
  11. AlwaysTomboy

AlwaysTomboy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2016
    Here's an example from a previous thread. Reposting here in case you or others missed it. :)

20180427_071122.jpg

12. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Agreed. You said it better than I ever could have.

Astronaut FX likes this.
  13. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I think we agree. I should have perhaps worded my preference differently.

From an aesthetic standpoint, I prefer the look of the looser weave in canvas and burlap. From the looks of the burlap sample that @skblades provided, it looks like it is pretty smooth. I wouldn't necessarily want what his sample displays on one of my fixed blades as it appears to be more epoxy than fibers but on a pocket knife it could probably work out quite well.

r8shell and Pomsbz like this.
  14. Ulf Krogstad

Ulf Krogstad Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2013
    This is great.:thumbsup:Any chance of multicolored linen micarta, or any micarta multicolored?

skblades likes this.
  15. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2018

Thanks for re-posting that picture. It comes down to personal taste, but that just looks strange to me. It looks like a photograph was laminated onto the handle. I’ve seen pictures of burlap on larger handles that I’ve really liked. Smaller knife? Not so much.

16. skblades

Dec 1, 2015
    It truly does not look like you are describing in person. It has a definite 3 dimensional quality and does not look like a photo, or look like too much resin.

afishhunter and Astronaut FX like this.
  17. skblades

Dec 1, 2015
    The fibers do not stick out, it is smooth.

r8shell and Dadpool like this.
  18. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I only needed one vote for this category. I am rooting for natural materials for this knife, but out of the synthetic options, I think it is burlap by a gunny sack mile.

Shurke and Pomsbz like this.
  19. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    That burlap micarta is sick, I love the depth. But I'm going to buy the barehead 501 that skblades will be selling soon ... so I'm hoping for something else in the long run even though I voted for it.

20. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    That photo does it justice. Burlaps are usually smooth, not rough like canvas.

I voted burlap if synthetic wins, and definitely want something with depth and texture. Color like the reds, blues, and greens would be nice. I really do not care for the dark-almost-can't-see-the-fibers burlap micarta that GEC used on the Bullnose last year.

Pomsbz likes this.