Votes: 37 14.2%
  • Burlap Micarta - $

Votes: 142 54.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yellow maybe? :cool: :)
mgaJ7Wl.jpg
I still wonder why they stopped making them, red and yellow? :(

You know, Burlap could be an overall victor here due to Buck actually using it on custom knives. Don't think GEC or CASE have offered it-yet-but they will want to after the success of our Forum Knife:cool:

Also, the other choices are shooting themselves in the foot :D People need to see how chalky and dreary a lot of Elk actually is;) and instead of an interesting striped wood like Zebra or Osage, some brown stuff will be chosen looks like an old school desk:D:D:poop::eek:

So this is all good for BURLAP, we march for Total Victory!!:cool::cool::thumbsup:

I thought this one was in the bag already, but it's a lot closer than I thought. With the way ram performed in the animal poll today, I guess anything is possible. Canvas has a chance.

You know, Burlap could be an overall victor here due to Buck actually using it on custom knives. Don't think GEC or CASE have offered it-yet-but they will want to after the success of our Forum Knife:cool:

Also, the other choices are shooting themselves in the foot :D People need to see how chalky and dreary a lot of Elk actually is;) and instead of an interesting striped wood like Zebra or Osage, some brown stuff will be chosen looks like an old school desk:D:D:poop::eek:

So this is all good for BURLAP, we march for Total Victory!!:cool::cool::thumbsup:
GEC has produced burlap covered knives. Case. I'm not sure. But they have some patterns that would look great in burlap!

I'm still hoping for burlap (and almost didn't bump the thread for fear folks would change their votes :p), but if ram's horn wins the animal vote, the final round is going to be a tough decision for me.

I don't foresee any surge happening to this poll I think Burlap has a lock for the synthetic option.

Since the other two didn't go to my top choice looks like my vote is going to Burlap unless I see Buck samples that can change my mind.

If it is acrylic coated burlap micarta it will look different than "normal" burlap - I'm expecting it will be coated based on past pics but do we know for sure?

Your opinion is highly respectable, but I think people need stronger argument (facts) to change their mind.:) I don't feel concerned, preferring paper for a change.
Sorry, I should have given more details. I've not had a TON of burlap knives, but I've had 8-9. I've never really liked them. I think it can look good in pictures, but when I've gotten them in-hand, I've been disappointed. When it comes to paper, linen or canvas, the material is fine enough that the resin and the fabric meld together very well and seem homogeneous or "as one," for lack of better terms. But burlap is so much rougher that there are big spaces/voids that are filled by the resin. So you have places where there is fabric, but then there are spaces there's just....resin. It's a big turn-off to me. Also, some of the burlap I've seen has tiny air pockets, and I've not see this on other kinds of micarta. It could be for some reason other than the burlap, but since I've seen this a couple of times, it makes me think the fabric has something to do with it. The other reason I've not liked it in-person is because of how pins/bolts get finished. With other micartas, you can get pins and corby bolts ground down, almost to the point there you can't feel a transition. This is amazing to me. Bark River knives really shine here. The finishing on their bolts is outstanding. But when I purchased a Bark River in burlap micarta, the transitions were REALLY noticeable. They were so noticeable that I sold of my first one. I think this is, again, because the burlap is rougher...having a looser knit. So when you drill through it, the holes are not as precise (I imagine them as rougher around the edges, if you will). Thus, when you put corby bolts through it, there is a bit of rougher border between the bolt and the micarta that you can't really ever get rid of. So it feels like a ridge or a bad finished between bolt and the cover material. If someone were to respond here and say I'm crazy, I would not blame them. I mean, in theory, the burlap is infused with resin to the point that the "looser knit" should not matter. And I understand that...in my mind. But when I hold the knives, I feel it and this is the only way I can make sense of it. I've noticed this to a lesser degree with slip-joints, but it's still there. I think because the pins are smaller, the issue seems less apparent, but it's there. I've had GEC-made knives with burlap covers. I sold every one after I got them in-hand. Did not like the look/feel of any of them.

I gave another Bark River in Burlap a try thinking perhaps I just got a bad one my first time and because BR's finish is so stellar. But, alas, same thing. But I kept this second one and use it a lot (kitchen knife, actually)! With use, the burlap seems to become more and more abrasive to my hand. It certainly does not hurt! But it feels dry and abrasive in ways that well-used linen and canvas do not. Some may respond saying they like that because it provides more traction. Well...where does that leave us with polished linen and canvas? Where does that leave us with cocobolo or ebony? Burlap is the only material that has done this on me and I'm not a fan at all.

I should say, I'm very aware that others may love burlap. I'm not hating on those people's opinions--just sharing mine. This is just a data-point; take it how you will. My comment was more for people who maybe have never tried it. Also, I should say, I don't mean my comments to speak negatively about Bark River or GEC. I love the products of both these companies and continue to buy them. My hunch is that burlap is just like this and that Bark River actually probably finishes it better than most companies. Just my hunch.

Last edited:
Back