2018 BF Knife Poll 5.301 - Materials Battle Royale

Which handle material for the 2018 BF Knife?

• Ironwood

Votes: 137 38.8%
  • Elk

Votes: 179 50.7%
  • Burlap Micarta

Votes: 37 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is the insanity we have been waiting for!

I fear the spectre of dermastid beetles was a death blow to rams horn, but that level of psychological warfare is nothing compared to what we will see now!

Ironwood is my vote.

I do feel that if I received a nice ironwood Gec 77 barlow in the post anonymously with a nice note signed by my friend "elk" or my friend "micarta" it would slake my thirst for iron woodmfor a while. Just an idle thought on a summer day.........

Last edited:
I voted for Elk. I've got a smooth Elk 53 Stockman. I love the knife but it's nickname is "Ole Ugly". So, there is a high probability that my vote will change to Ironwood before the end of the poll.

I like ironwood; so I considered the best and worst case scenarios. Best - I get a knife with absolutely gorgeous, well matched covers...worst, short of being damaged, I get a knife with blah or purely matched covers (not that big a deal, really).
I also like elk...but I'm particular about color, shape, and symmetry. Best case is amazing; worst case is asymmetry - which is a hard, disappointing loss.
Burlap micarta - if it wins, I'm out; but I hope you guys enjoy them, :thumbsup:.
The safe bet (for me), then, is ironwood; as elk offers the greatest risk...but that reward, though, if I get a good one. Maybe I just won't vote.
Yet

Neither option induces vomiting.

Elk is easily my top choice. Elk is not sambar stag, and rarely competes with it in a beauty contest, but for me it has a lot to do with what it is and what it represents, and not just what it looks like. But I find it very far from being unattractive (unless super chunky).

It's a strong, majestic, American animal that didn't have to die to make us a knife.

PS
I have lots of knives made from dead animals. It is a factor though that I do consider greatly when choosing my knives.

Last edited:
Back