2018 BF Knife Poll 5.301 - Materials Battle Royale

Which handle material for the 2018 BF Knife?

• Ironwood

Votes: 137 38.8%
  • Elk

Votes: 179 50.7%
  • Burlap Micarta

Votes: 37 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For the record, I'm a huge elk fan. I have many knives with elk, and even use it frequently myself for knife handles. I'm voting for unique, but will certainly be happy with whatever we end up with.

I've posted this photo on a couple of these polls already. This is a 303 done in March this year as that month's "Buck of the Month". It's smaller than the 301.5 we're making here at 3.25" closed, has brass bolsters, and all 3 blades, but I think this is what we can expect. The others of this knife I've seen have been similar. I'm very happy with it, and if I end up with an elk 301.5 when this is all done, I don't expect to be disappointed.

3E8ECF82-B8F7-4FC6-91D7-5C9D05EEFDF0.jpeg 94845AAC-0F11-4CA3-8B82-C45051D9DB55.jpeg CC490882-7FCD-439E-A93A-060FB36A77BF.jpeg A902328C-1860-4CE9-A377-D3925FF17B68.jpeg

This is a further example of the range of elk Buck uses. This is natural material so variation from knife to knife can be expected, but the left/right on a single knife should match.

These are large pieces. This is a kitchen set after all.

The steak knives (pointing right w/ serrations) were built in 2016 and the rest were built in 2017.
BF239632-13A4-4CD0-B957-94FCBB13486C.jpeg 128A6482-3F1A-4164-A415-50C6939BEEE1.jpeg

Last edited:
skblades skblades Please, please, PUHlease can we get some photos? I know there are pics scattered around various threads of what Buck can produce but for the sake of clarity can you get some LIKELY samples and edit your first post to include those pictures? Otherwise we will get dozens of fanciful examples posted to sway the vote this way or that. May as well just Google search "burlap micarta" or "elk handled knife" and guess away.

I'm all for pushing an agenda but we've seen fixed blades, premier custom folders, fifty- and hundred-year old knives, and even Sebenzas posted in the threads regarding the 2018 knife. It would be good for everyone to have a solid reference point before they draw up their own mental image.

Edit: certainly results can vary, especially with regards to elk (lesser extent ironwood) but give us something were likely to see. Thanks much!

Thanks for posting this pics MT_Pokt MT_Pokt ... those all look nice to me, especially the cadet! Would be more than happy with a 301.5 with those handles!

I like ironwood; so I considered the best and worst case scenarios. Best - I get a knife with absolutely gorgeous, well matched covers...worst, short of being damaged, I get a knife with blah or purely matched covers (not that big a deal, really).
I also like elk...but I'm particular about color, shape, and symmetry. Best case is amazing; worst case is asymmetry - which is a hard, disappointing loss.
Burlap micarta - if it wins, I'm out; but I hope you guys enjoy them, :thumbsup:.
The safe bet (for me), then, is ironwood; as elk offers the greatest risk...but that reward, though, if I get a good one. Maybe I just won't vote.
Yet
This is my immediate thought. I went ironwood out of the gate, although I'd have preferred a different wood for a stockman.

Reason? Easier to live with boring ironwood than plain, chalky elk. The limited run kitchen knife set posted earlier doesn't give me assurance. Will 250+ knives turned out quickly measure up? Maybe. Need concrete examples!

This is the insanity we have been waiting for!

I fear the spectre of dermastid beetles was a death blow to rams horn, but that level of psychological warfare is nothing compared to what we will see now!

Ironwood is my vote.

I do feel that if I received a nice ironwood Gec 77 barlow in the post anonymously with a nice note signed by my friend "elk" or my friend "micarta" it would slake my thirst for iron woodmfor a while. Just an idle thought on a summer day.........

Psycho warfare?

"Termites are eusocial insects that are classified at the taxonomic rank of infraorder Isoptera, or as epifamily Termitoidae within the cockroach order Blattodea. Termites were once classified in a separate order from cockroaches, but recentphylogenetic studies indicate that they evolved from close ancestors of cockroaches during the Jurassic or Triassic. However, the first termites possibly emerged during the Permian or even the Carboniferous. About 3,106 species are currently described, with a few hundred more left to be described. Although these insects are often called "white ants", they are notants.

Like ants and some bees and wasps from the separate order Hymenoptera, termites divide labour among castes consisting of sterile male and female "workers" and "soldiers". All colonies have fertile males called "kings" and one or more fertile females called "queens". Termites mostly feed on dead plant material and cellulose, generally in the form of wood, their favorite being ironwood, leaf litter, soil, or animal dung. Termites are major detritivores, particularly in the subtropical and tropical regions, and their recycling of wood and plant matter is of considerable ecological importance."

Right outa the innernet.:D

Well, my choice "won" in two of the three categories. I'm no mathemagician, but I'm thinking that gives me a 66% chance of one of my choices winning. But really, we all win. This is a fun selection process. Kudos to SK for putting in the hard work!

I have completely stopped even looking at knives on the auction site, much less stashing them in my Watch List. I'm saving up.:cool:

I admit the elk on those kitchen knives are quite attractive. If that is a representation of what the handles on this 301 would look like, I may change my vote.

5WUiMjl.jpg

I admit the elk on those kitchen knives are quite attractive. If that is a representation of what the handles on this 301 would look like, I may change my vote.
Yes, but are we to base our vote on photos like these? We need to be apples to apples here. Everyone who is inclined to post a picture of the most awesome elk-handled knife you've seen, please refrain. We know it can look spectacular but that is likely not the knife most will end up with.

The concept of a secret ballot is deer to me.
Hoist the mains'ls Sailing Master Blades.
Were running with a good wind at our backs now. Now heave lively lads. Tis the elken treasure we wants.
Leave it to you Meako to iron this all out with woods, err words. Secret ballots it is then!

I voted for elk. I love Ironwood, but there’s been too much of that. Elk really stands out on a knive. It makes the knife seem more luxurious and rarer, too. I love the tactile feel it gives.

Having said that, we are at a disadvantage, because we don’t get see any samples of the elk or Ironwood that would actually be used. That would make a big difference as to what will be chosen. Like others, I have seen knives with both types of scales that you couldn’t give me. All this makes choosing which one, a leap of faith.

Whipping up hysteria aka 'fake' news :D:cool:

Elk is a well known transmitter of RABIES:eek: If you want to foam at the mouth on delivery of your Elk knife then go ahead......

Whereas, Ironwood is treated with CYANIDE and it's impossible to remove it so you are dicing with death... Worse still, it's the fuel of choice for meth makers....support the drug trade go ahead ;):D

Support the petro-chemical industry by voting for BURLAP it's probably a huge FIRE HAZARD in the home:D:D:D:rolleyes::eek:

I'd like a custom version combining stripes of all three of these dangerous/excellent choices:thumbsup:

But bear in mind, it's not Who or What people vote for, but WHO COUNTS the votes that matters...:cool: just saying' :)

Ironwood, but I’ll be happy however this turns out. Thanks for your hard work.

Well everyone, Koa is not happy that he lost in the polls...not amused one bit.
Wow Jake your not kiddin :eek: Koa looks like he's about to take a bite out of something and I don't think it's crime.;) Cool looking dog BTW :cool: Trevor
View attachment 911522

So, we came to the decision that because I have plenty of other knives in micarta, burlap to be included, and have plenty of others in ironwood, Elk gets our vote.

Back