2018 BF Traditional Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could ask, but am 90% sure that at this point the only knife on the schedule for the rest of the year that has capacity available in the time frame to make a decision - is the #14.

And in full disclosure - the #14's will have dealer add-on sfo's. So expect several slab/shield variations.

Thank you. If you could ask that wound be appreciated. It would be nice to have a choice of patterns to vote on.

In all honesty, in the beginning, I favored a GEC option over a Buck. That being said, I cannot say that I am of the same mind anymore.

I have nothing against the #14 pattern, I really enjoy the little 2-blade one that I currently have. It is the perfect little knife to accompany a larger single blade. However, I suspect that the 14s will be a large run and, as Mike has stated, will have several SFO's attached to it. In my mind that kind of detracts from the spirit of the forum knife. What is it then, other than just another SFO? (In reality, that is all it is anyway, I guess.) I suppose unique covers and blade configurations could make it shine, but at this point in time, it is a little difficult for me to get excited for one, especially when Buck and skblades are providing us with some truly excellent choices.

I would be more inclined to wait until next year where we can initiate talks very early on and perhaps even spearhead a new pattern like we have done in years past. A BF GEC Scout? A BF GEC Sowbelly? A mid sized swayback Lambsfot? This would be awesome and would feel infinitely more meaningful.

Regardless, I would certainly support what ever the majority decides on, be it GEC or Buck. I would just like all the shade being cast at one another to end.

I believe any vote for GEC vs Buck would definitely be skewed by forum member who don't frequent this sub forum and frequent the Buck forum. I'm sure it's already happening. There is nothing wrong with that I guess...I just wanted to see a fair vote between the two companies before we started polling the masses for what pattern of knife from Buck we wanted to produce. Of course people are going to be whipped into a frenzy. They can see the light at the end of the tunnel which is obviously Buck because of the help from a gracious forum dealer. In the end, I will buy whatever knife is produced because I think it's an awesome tradition. But I just feel like the other company isn't getting a fair shake...I would still be interested to see what the voting outcome would be.

The hate between member and certain delears is ridiculous.

Thanks for looking into this knifeswapper knifeswapper and spending your valuable time on this effort.

*End of rant...maybe LOL
The Buck pattern was polled to be compete against a potential GEC pattern ;) so you don't have 10 Bucks vs 1 GEC. What kinda drives me nuts at this point from the GEC side of things is that questions that have already been answered are asked again and again

I believe any vote for GEC vs Buck would definitely be skewed by forum member who don't frequent this sub forum and frequent the Buck forum. I'm sure it's already happening. There is nothing wrong with that I guess...I just wanted to see a fair vote between the two companies before we started polling the masses for what pattern of knife from Buck we wanted to produce.
I know that I am going to catch some heat for this, but the Buck knives are traditional, and to put a wedge between Buck and Traditional just because of a locale on the forum is a bit pedantic.

That being said, I know the "Forum Knife" is the "Traditional subforum knife", but I guess how I see it is that the Buck owners still like traditional knives. Just because they don't frequent the same threads as you, doesn't mean they don't like traditional knives.

I don't see the poll as being "tainted" or "skewed". It is a traditional knife (of a brand that they are fond of), and as such, they have as much right to vote on it as anyone else.

There are many folks that have bought the previous knives just to flip. I see that as an affront. An active member from a different portion of the forum voting on a knife? That, I am just fine with. If nothing else, it may bring some new members (with just as many stories, heartaches, joys, and memories) as we have. Why not enjoy the broadening of our collective horizon?

*End of rant...maybe LOL

I believe any vote for GEC vs Buck would definitely be skewed by forum member who don't frequent this sub forum and frequent the Buck forum. I'm sure it's already happening. There is nothing wrong with that I guess...I just wanted to see a fair vote between the two companies before we started polling the masses for what pattern of knife from Buck we wanted to produce. Of course people are going to be whipped into a frenzy. They can see the light at the end of the tunnel which is obviously Buck because of the help from a gracious forum dealer. In the end, I will buy whatever knife is produced because I think it's an awesome tradition. But I just feel like the other company isn't getting a fair shake...I would still be interested to see what the voting outcome would be.

The hate between member and certain dealers is ridiculous.

Thanks for looking into this knifeswapper knifeswapper and spending your valuable time on this effort.

*End of rant...maybe LOL
Maybe you can tell us exactly who has volunteered to place the order with GEC for your hypothetical 2018 GEC Blade Forums knives, who has volunteered to take all of the orders and collect all of the money from members for your hypothetical 2018 GEC Blade Forums knives, and who has volunteered to print all of the mailing labels and ship all of these hypothetical GEC 2018 Blade Forums knives?

Tell us all of that and then we can have a GEC vs. Buck vote. Until then, IMO you are just promoting vaporwear.

I know that I am going to catch some heat for this, but the Buck knives are traditional, and to put a wedge between Buck and Traditional just because of a locale on the forum is a bit pedantic.

That being said, I know the "Forum Knife" is the "Traditional subforum knife", but I guess how I see it is that the Buck owners still like traditional knives. Just because they don't frequent the same threads as you, doesn't mean they don't like traditional knives.

I don't see the poll as being "tainted" or "skewed". It is a traditional knife (of a brand that they are fond of), and as such, they have as much right to vote on it as anyone else.

There are many folks that have bought the previous knives just to flip. I see that as an affront. An active member from a different portion of the forum voting on a knife? That, I am just fine with. If nothing else, it may bring some new members (with just as many stories, heartaches, joys, and memories) as we have. Why not enjoy the broadening of our collective horizon?

*End of rant...maybe LOL

I agree with everything you said! And like I said will buy a Buck knife especially a 303 as I do have a hand-me-down Schrade 301 from my grandfather. I did vote in the buck thread and voted for a 303. I think Buck will offer an awesome blade forum knife as well! With "better" steels and different cover matterials. Maybe this will make me start liking stockman type knives!

Nothing wrong with adding additional people to our corner of the world. Just don't like seeing all the hate directed at dealers who are active here and help support the traditional knife community.

Maybe you can tell us exactly who has volunteered to place the order with GEC for your hypothetical 2018 GEC Blade Forums knives, who has volunteered to take all of the orders and collect all of the money from members for your hypothetical 2018 GEC Blade Forums knives, and who has volunteered to print all of the mailing labels and ship all of these hypothetical GEC 2018 Blade Forums knives?

Tell us all of that and then we can have a GEC vs. Buck vote. Until then, IMO you are just promoting vaporwear.

Couldn't tell you. I just support a 2018 forum knife whether that is Buck, GEC or any other company. Maybe I shouldn't have chimmed in...oh well. :confused:

Again big thanks to @skblades for taking on this chore!

No matter what happens from this point on, I believe a lot of good things have happened which we must acknowledge.

First, Mike knifeswapper knifeswapper has come forward to help with a GEC Forum Knife. I do not know Mike personally, but I have observed his business, purchased knives from him, and I have read many of his posts in the forum. He is bright, loyal, and a hard worker. I have no doubt that he can make a GEC Forum Knife happen. Otherwise, he would not have offered. Second, GEC is a company. They have much more to be concerned about than our Forum Knife. Despite this, Bill Howard has offered to work with us at this late hour. Third, Stephen @skblades is a great guy who has continued to work feverishly on a Buck knife even after he realized there would be no profit. Most people would have walked away at that moment. Finally, Buck is also just a company. Their business model simply offers more flexibility on a fewer number of patterns. They are not doing this for us personally. So, we do not have a crisis, we have an abundance of blessings.

It seems that the makings of a perfect compromise where everybody truly wins is right before us. Mike, would you be willing to continue this effort, but for a 2019 GEC Forum Knife instead of this year? That would give you time to work out all of the details and organize the assistance you need from us. That would also give you time to work with Bill Howard and identify one or two options that might be unique. Stephen could take care of this years knife, since he has come so far already. We get two great Forum Knives in the process; Buck this year and GEC next year.

All I see before me are honorable, good and true knife people. There are no bad guys in this situation.

CollectorKnives did.

No matter what happens from this point on, I believe a lot of good things have happened which we must acknowledge.

First, Mike knifeswapper knifeswapper has come forward to help with a GEC Forum Knife. I do not know Mike personally, but I have observed his business, purchased knives from him, and I have read many of his posts in the forum. He is bright, loyal, and a hard worker. I have no doubt that he can make a GEC Forum Knife happen. Otherwise, he would not have offered. Second, GEC is a company. They have much more to be concerned about than our Forum Knife. Despite this, Bill Howard has offered to work with us at this late hour. Third, Stephen @skblades is a great guy who has continued to work feverishly on a Buck knife even after he realized there would be no profit. Most people would have walked away at that moment. Finally, Buck is also just a company. Their business model simply offers more flexibility on a fewer number of patterns. They are not doing this for us personally. So, we do not have a crisis, we have an abundance of blessings.

It seems that the makings of a perfect compromise where everybody truly wins is right before us. Mike, would you be willing to continue this effort, but for a 2019 GEC Forum Knife instead of this year? That would give you time to work out all of the details and organize the assistance you need from us. That would also give you time to work with Bill Howard and identify one or two options that might be unique. Stephen could take care of this years knife, since he has come so far already. We get two great Forum Knives in the process; Buck this year and GEC next year.

All I see before me are honorable, good and true knife people. There are no bad guys in this situation.
Great post! :thumbsup:

I agree with everything you said! And like I said will buy a Buck knife especially a 303 as I do have a hand-me-down Schrade 301 from my grandfather. I did vote in the buck thread and voted for a 303. I think Buck will offer an awesome blade forum knife as well! With "better" steels and different cover matterials. Maybe this will make me start liking stockman type knives!

Nothing wrong with adding additional people to our corner of the world. Just don't like seeing all the hate directed at dealers who are active here and help support the traditional knife community.
(This response is in general and not about you personally, so please don't take it in that manner. I wanted to say this first to assuage any concerns or ill feelings prior to your reading my post, though this pretty much pertains to everything after the first paragraph.)
------
I understand that, but this isn't about the dealers. This is about GEC. The dealers do a fantastic job, and many of them are stretched thin to begin with. Asking more from them can easily be read as taking them for granted, and I do not want that.

Do I want a forum knife? Definitely.
Do want to burden those that already have plenty plates spinning? Definitely not.

So to expect this from a dealer is borderline reprehensible, and I am grateful for the presences that we do have. And I have nothing against asking a dealer about whether or not they are willing to help, but to denigrate them over not doing so is poor form at the very least, and getting close to greedy and ignorant.

That being said, I agree that GEC should have a representative on the forum. I know a lot of folks would love to have someone at the company that has their thumb on "our pulse". Due to the lack of a GEC rep, we have many people floundering, scrambling, spending business and personal hours with their accountants, tax consultants, and other professionals instead of taking care of their business or families.

I do not wish to have our dealers to feel like they owe us anything nor do I want them to feel like they "should" do this. If they want to, I will be appreciative, but if they don't, then I can respect that and in won't bat an eye at their decision.

This is their business and the very livelihood that many families depend on that we are talking about, but on our end, let's face it, all it is is just another knife.

I support whatever.

A mini-caplifter or radio-knife would be sweet on the #14. It does need to be something sweet to use the #14.

I still like the propsed Buck Forum Knife.

Here is my commitment to buying one of whatever Forum Knife is produced and that could be more.

Everyone, take it easy, enjoy your weekend, and Friday night.

(This response is in general and not about you personally, so please don't take it in that manner. I wanted to say this first to assuage any concerns or ill feelings prior to your reading my post, though this pretty much pertains to everything after the first paragraph.)
------
I understand that, but this isn't about the dealers. This is about GEC. The dealers do a fantastic job, and many of them are stretched thin to begin with. Asking more from them can easily be read as taking them for granted, and I do not want that.

Do I want a forum knife? Definitely.
Do want to burden those that already have plenty plates spinning? Definitely not.

So to expect this from a dealer is borderline reprehensible, and I am grateful for the presences that we do have. And I have nothing against asking a dealer about whether or not they are willing to help, but to denigrate them over not doing so is poor form at the very least, and getting close to greedy and ignorant.

That being said, I agree that GEC should have a representative on the forum. I know a lot of folks would love to have someone at the company that has their thumb on "our pulse". Due to the lack of a GEC rep, we have many people floundering, scrambling, spending business and personal hours with their accountants, tax consultants, and other professionals instead of taking care of their business or families.

I do not wish to have our dealers to feel like they owe us anything nor do I want them to feel like they "should" do this. If they want to, I will be appreciative, but if they don't, then I can respect that and in won't bat an eye at their decision.

This is their business and the very livelihood that many families depend on that we are talking about, but on our end, let's face it, all it is is just another knife.

Very true, I agree GEC should have some sort of forum presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back