• Cocobolo

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Che Chen

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Post #1 clearly states that there are only 5 choices that can be had with polished bolsters. I seriously dislike brushed bolsters: they look unfinished and show EVERY little rub and bump. So that left only 3 choices for me, because both blackwood and ebony are far too common to put on this special knife. Of the three left, bloodwood was in the lead, so got my vote. Bocote and Kingwood are prettier, but having no chance to win, voting for either one is a throw away vote.

Post #1 clearly states that there are only 5 choices that can be had with polished bolsters. I seriously dislike brushed bolsters: they look unfinished and show EVERY little rub and bump. So that left only 3 choices for me, because both blackwood and ebony are far too common to put on this special knife. Of the three left, bloodwood was in the lead, so got my vote. Bocote and Kingwood are prettier, but having no chance to win, voting for either one is a throw away vote.

There are 8 choices with polished bolsters, 3 with brushed.

Ode to a Bloodwood

To repeat what I said at an earlier date to my mind
Our knife should cloth in a color to find
in a color chart near the reds, don’t leave it behind

What should we do to obtain a nice vote
Point out the difference between Black and Red
Tell them the truth - mess with their head

Happy Brosimum rubescens, it is so reddish
so sleek so fine a handle not red like a radish
But tint like lips of a springtime movie star
Bloodwood so beautiful, so good, to carry so far

Black knife so dark and gloomy so nice
Easy to scare companions at work cutting cheese
Menace abounds call the cops please!
What will they do with this madman loose?
Throw him in prison for choosing a goose?

Don’t disparage poor innocent hobbyist
for wanting black knife.
He’s a wonderful porch sitter, wanting good life
Me thinks thou doth chose the “mess with their head” option.:)

Really, blood wood is in the lead, never would have guessed that. Its gonna be a giant slab of way too red and blandness in my opinion. I owned one before and it's way more red then what the pictures I have seen lead on, my example anyway. Hmmmm, think I am gonna go shopping for some supplies and be ready to make this my first rehandle job just in case. Decisions, decisions :)

The argument that African Blackwood (Ebony) is not "special" enough leaves me scratching my head. It's a consistently beautiful, distinct wood well suited for knife handles and has been a staple of knife manufacturers for many, many years for good reason.
What is special about Bloodwood? That it hasn't been used as much? I think there's a reason for that. It's a less impressive looking wood that darkens to a nondescript brown color over time. I'd personally rather see Ironwood than Bloodwood.
If the 9 Ebony votes will join the AB group, we are right there near the lead...:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Plenty of time for things to change though.

Posting for the weekend crew...
Bloodwoods_01.jpg
The cool thing with bloodwood is it turns a very deep reddish brown—almost black.

We have had a handful of members post pictures of their blood wood knives and they look great! Not saying a black wood is bad.

Here's an example...thanks @Travman for showing you gunstock jack!
XYh36pC.jpg

Really, blood wood is in the lead, never would have guessed that. Its gonna be a giant slab of way too red and blandness in my opinion. I owned one before and it's way more red then what the pictures I have seen lead on, my example anyway. Hmmmm, think I am gonna go shopping for some supplies and be ready to make this my first rehandle job just in case. Decisions, decisions :)
Yeah, wouldn't have thought so many votes for bloodwood, which is pretty *bleh* to me. Thought for sure I would buy this knife if wood or bone won, but having doubts now. Ebony and AB look SO much better to me. I think this knife needs a dark handle, black or dark brown.
I realize many are voting for other than black because they probably have so many of them already. Guess I can understand that. But I don't buy knives to keep in a safe or to sell at a profit. I just buy what I like and intend to carry and use. To begin with, I am not too excited about the blade. A sheepsfoot is not very versatile, like a lambsfoot, or a clip, or a spear. A sheepsfoot with bloodwood slabs is something I don't think I can go for. I respect the majority vote, but will buy only if the AB option (or ebony!) wins, even if it has a stinking shield! ;)

The argument that African Blackwood (Ebony) is not "special" enough leaves me scratching my head. It's a consistently beautiful, distinct wood well suited for knife handles and has been a staple of knife manufacturers for many, many years for good reason.
What is special about Bloodwood? That it hasn't been used as much? I think there's a reason for that. It's a less impressive looking wood that darkens to a nondescript brown color over time. I'd personally rather see Ironwood than Bloodwood.
If the 9 Ebony votes will join the AB group, we are right there near the lead...:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I was previously Ebony and it was a simple move to AB. I concur with your conclusions.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

THIS!!! C'mon over to AB my ebony brethren. Let's give this knive the classy, durable and tough cover it deserves! :cool:

Yeah, wouldn't have thought so many votes for bloodwood, which is pretty *bleh* to me. Thought for sure I would buy this knife if wood or bone won, but having doubts now. Ebony and AB look SO much better to me. I think this knife needs a dark handle, black or dark brown.
I realize many are voting for other than black because they probably have so many of them already. Guess I can understand that. But I don't buy knives to keep in a safe or to sell at a profit. I just buy what I like and intend to carry and use. To begin with, I am not too excited about the blade. A sheepsfoot is not very versatile, like a lambsfoot, or a clip, or a spear. A sheepsfoot with bloodwood slabs is something I don't think I can go for. I respect the majority vote, but will buy only if the AB option (or ebony!) wins, even if it has a stinking shield! ;)
I agree, Vince. This knife needs a Black handle!:cool:
For me, a Sheepfoot and a Lambfoot are basically interchangeable. If you like one, you like both. I can't see enough difference between the two to call one more versatile than the other. The Lambfoot seems to get romanticized around these parts, and I'm good with that, I just don't see the slight difference of the two to be noticeable in actual use.

I assume this poll will run through the weekend?
I swear, I'm not switching my vote back and forth for drama! I just keep reading the discussion, and re-evaluating my decision.
Right now, I'm with bloodwood, hoping it will darken over time with use to a rich dark brown. I guess what I'm hoping is that it will end up look like cocobolo, but with a less dramatic grain.

Does that make sense? :confused:

Moved over to the Bloodwood side, Jobillo is very nice so is Osage.

Why did I move? It's the pins/liners being in brass (all production 86s will be brass and the FK is the same) great pity Nickelsilver can't be substituted. The 2011 FK was clad with NS liners/pins whereas production 82s were nearly, if not all, brass. Similarly, 2013 FK was NS liners/pins and subsequent production 13s were brass shod. So, why can't this Forum Knife be offered with NS liners/pins?? It's as soft as brass-cos it's white brass but you don't get green bleed verdigris from it:eek: Because of this, it looks and behaves better on ALL scales in my experience.

A large swell End knife will look better in a colour that shows of its shape, Black.W/Ebony are slab like on big Barehead knives, thus I'll change to Bloodwood or any other lighter colour wood with some characteristics. Blackwoods need steel/NS pins&liners, other woods suit all.:cool:

Momentum!:D

Sure is disappointing we can't have all steel :(

Is an odd one for this knife. Those that think Bloodwood will darken over time are in for a surprise years down the road when it looks the same. It's a great wood. Any of the choices we have are nice, so we can't go wrong, but some choices are better than others.

It seems a lot of the folks that voted for smooth wood last round over jigged bone thought for sure a "black" version of the forum knife was a foregone conclusion. Careful what you wish for... :eek:o_O:oops::poop:

Ebony and African Blackwood have always been considered to be two of the most special woods. Valuable not just for the desirable color but it is a durable and stable wood, which means less cracking and chipping when compared to other woods. It's been a favorite material by knife makers for thousands of years, for very good reason.
7AwctQm.jpg
unedited photo
L to R Cocobolo, African Blackwood, Desert Ironwood, Bloodwood, Osage Orange​

I agree, Vince. This knife needs a Black handle!:cool:
For me, a Sheepfoot and a Lambfoot are basically interchangeable. If you like one, you like both. I can't see enough difference between the two to call one more versatile than the other. The Lambfoot seems to get romanticized around these parts, and I'm good with that, I just don't see the slight difference of the two to be noticeable in actual use.
Well, for me it seems the lambsfoot has a much better point that can be used to pierce things. It's like a perfect compromise between a wharncliffe and a sheepsfoot. Plus, the lambsfoot looks so darn cool! :cool:

It seems a lot of the folks that voted for smooth wood last round over jigged bone thought for sure a "black" version of the forum knife was a foregone conclusion. Careful what you wish for... :eek:o_O:oops::poop:
I'll be happy with any wood choice except the osage orange personally. AB is my top preference obviously though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back