Attention 2019 Forum knife question thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I honestly cannot see ANYONE buying a current production GEC for $500... unless they are goaded into it by a false sense of scarcity...

We have a very wealthy citizenry. For some paying $500 for a $200 knife is like paying $5 for a $2 beer. Ever been to a ballgame?

Too many self-indulgent wieners out there...

;)

Heck, post it up! Maybe a little public shaming will help... :)
Bring back the stocks!
KaV96Oj.jpg

The one on eBay by “pontooncapt”, he is a member here with a different username. He did the same thing last year with the Buck knife. I alerted Gary and Frank back then, guess there’s avenues around the blacklist.

Actually, I just went through the 2019 order thread and he posted for 2 of them. Guess he got them.

Behr95 was on the no-buy list. However, with all the changes in orders that we had this year during the waiting period between ordering and paying, he slipped through and got on the list anyway. Poo Poo occurs. We were going bonkers keeping up with all the changes. There won't be order changes next year. Money will be paid before the order is placed with the factory as we did in 2018.

One other knife sold on eBay was purchased through our process.

Several others that we have seen on eBay appear to be sold by folks who acquired them outside of our process. Likely bought them in the Exchange and flipped them elsewhere. There's nothing to be done about folks who buy them on the exchange, then flip them.

As far as we can determine, out of 395 buyers, 3 have turned around and flipped them for high dollars. Two on eBay and one here on the Exchange. That's an "Ah Shucks" rate of less than 1%. Personally, I don't find that so horrendous that we need to massively change the process.

The original idea of the forum knife was friends banding together and to get a special knife at a good price. I'd like to stay as close to that as possible.

That being said, if you notice a 2019 Forum knife being sold on eBay, drop a link to Gary and me so we can check it out.

Behr95 was on the no-buy list. However, with all the changes in orders that we had this year during the waiting period between ordering and paying, he slipped through and got on the list anyway. Poo Poo occurs. We were going bonkers keeping up with all the changes. There won't be order changes next year. Money will be paid before the order is placed with the factory as we did in 2018.

One other knife sold on eBay was purchased through our process.

Several others that we have seen on eBay appear to be sold by folks who acquired them outside of our process. Likely bought them in the Exchange and flipped them elsewhere. There's nothing to be done about folks who buy them on the exchange, then flip them.

As far as we can determine, out of 395 buyers, 3 have turned around and flipped them for high dollars. Two on eBay and one here on the Exchange. That's an "Ah Shucks" rate of less than 1%. Personally, I don't find that so horrendous that we need to massively change the process.

The original idea of the forum knife was friends banding together and to get a special knife at a good price. I'd like to stay as close to that as possible.

That being said, if you notice a 2019 Forum knife being sold on eBay, drop a link to Gary and me so we can check it out.

Frank, I was never aware of all the work you guys did behind the scenes to make these Forum knives happen. It's really impressive, to be honest. I certainly appreciate all the hard work you guys have done to make these knives a reality.

knarfeng knarfeng I hope you didn’t take my post as a dig on your effort in any sort of way, or Gary’s. That wasn’t the intention at all.

Even with some barriers in place, people will find a way around them and that member provided a pretty glaring picture of that.

I’m glad he was named this time so that people are aware of a repeat offender that can easily be left off of the purchase list but can then just scoop them up on the exchange after the fact, whether it’s buying or trading and be under the radar about it.

Hell, I’m sure he’s reading these comments and is just laughing. Oh well!

So it certainly seems the % of bad apples is low which is great I know that it can never be 0 as new sharks will show up if nothing else. I hope these efforts to do a forum knife continue despite that fact that the only knife I really participated in and got so far was the 2018.

One process that could be added would be to start a sticky thread on the Good, Bad, & Ugly for Traditional Folders and Fixed Blade Forum Knife Flippers and add flippers' user names to the list. People who post forum knives on the exchange should be encouraged to check that thread before agreeing to close a deal with a buyer to make sure he isn't selling to a flipper. That would make it harder to repeat flippers to get their hands on a forum knife.

Money will be paid before the order is placed with the factory as we did in 2018.
Totally agree with this!
Personally, I don't find that so horrendous that we need to massively change the process.
Ditto.
Double ditto.
Would be appreciated, folks!

Good post, Frank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back