Attention 2019 Forum knife question thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can say I absolutely applaud the efforts made to discourage flipping. A <1% flip rate is outstanding! I really don’t worry about this much because in reality I don’t think it can ever be eliminated. All the restrictions you can think of placed on the initial buyer does absolutely nothing to control what a secondary purchaser does. It is also not that hard to create a new user name for next year’s knife. Flipping is flipping.

I have purchased 2 of the Forum knives each of the last 2 years. Last year I sold one to someone who missed out at my cost, they were very happy to get it. This year I have still not decided whether I will make it available to an active member searching for one, gift it or hold a give away? Regardless, it may very well make someone’s day. I really don’t think restricting members to 1 knife is a viable solution. That does nothing but diminish the generosity the Porch is known for. 3 initial purchaser’s flip knives, shame on them. Let’s just make sure that is all they manage to take away from this Forum.

Gosh I hope its not to late .Silly old me butdid I forget to mention the back label curse? Im such a silly duffer for not mentioning it earlier...I had the wording of the label cursed by the local Kadaitcha Man. Any one who flips one will turn into a Dugong...first they have an overwhelming urge to grow a big walrussy looking mustache and to eat seagrass....next longer and longer periods are spent in the water grubbing up mud and silt until eventually they are chopped by an outboard prop and eaten by sharks...remisss of me not to inform everyone at the start but its out of my hands now and in the hands or should I say flippers of the flippers..Dugongs have fat stubby flippers.

Try telling Anne Hathaway she is like a manatee and see how that goes for you.
I think I touched a nerve there .The beautiful Ms Hathaway is obviously more Lynx or Bird of Paradise than Manatee...my intention was to highlight the Manatee/ Dugong discrepancy. I apologise for confusion.

Throwing it out there that I would still love to get my hands on one if anybody is thinking of letting one of their spares go :)

Im new here. I just found out about this place from Knife thoughts on youtube. Is there any way I can get one of those GEC 86s? I am completely new to this whole traditional pocket knife collecting thing and It seem really CRAZY I get an email that something is in stock and by the time I get me email on break (because I work) they are always gone. Any info on how I get notified on future GEC knives would be helpful. PS this site seems a bit hard for first timer to figure out.

Im new here. I just found out about this place from Knife thoughts on youtube. Is there any way I can get one of those GEC 86s? I am completely new to this whole traditional pocket knife collecting thing and It seem really CRAZY I get an email that something is in stock and by the time I get me email on break (because I work) they are always gone. Any info on how I get notified on future GEC knives would be helpful. PS this site seems a bit hard for first timer to figure out.

Best place to start is here: http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/our-gec-distributors/

You'll find a few 86s (edit: not the SFO Bladeforums versions, though) on some of those distributors' websites. For future drops, some dealers offer early reserves. For others, you can email them and ask to be notified of when a release will be dropping on the website. If you find that you aren't able to be online during a drop, you can probably find some guys who hang out here on the Bladeforums "Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades" subforum to pick one up for you. It can be complicated, but you'll have it figured out soon enough once you spend some time getting oriented.

The 86 from this thread was an SFO (Special Factory Order) that was discussed, debated, and voted upon earlier in the year in this subforum. You can search and find the old voting threads. If you stick around and participate you can make the qualifications to participate in future forum knives (if the necessary volunteers step forward). Otherwise, the dealers listed on that website above often order SFOs of their own, which you can get when they release.

The other place to look is on the Exchange subforum, where folks can buy, sell, and trade knives. A few of the 86 Forum knives have been sold there already. You'll need to buy at least a basic membership to participate there. Good luck!

I really, really like this knife.

I understand the Porch regulars are a tight knit group. Please know I support you fine folks on any future Forum knives.

The process is fun to follow along with and the resulting designs are excellent.
AFD4CAB0-F9E8-48A7-9C92-5EBAB0B71C6D.jpeg

This knife came out so well, it’s outstanding.

Here’s another couple of pics for the thread.

2OIGWquh.jpg

ZN5Nyigh.jpg

ug I missed out on this years - just too busy... somehow lost track of threads

btw, is it plain 1095 steel or something else?
the ebony looks really nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back