• Northfield Trim

Votes: 265 82.8%
  • Tidioute Trim

Votes: 55 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s a fair point, and I generally have to defer to those of you who are more knowledgeable about these things when it come to historical/traditional accuracy. That said, GEC has used sawcut bone on a #77 jack before, and if you ask me it looks pretty dang good!

v2Vbee2.jpg

ciBbtW5.jpg

In fact, looking at that knife, I think I might change my ideal poll results to Northfield, satin blade, matchstriker pull, sawcut bone with an end cap. I just like the way that sawcut looks with the end cap. Still not sure about which shield.
That IS a very attractive knife :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

I would not vote for saw cut bone, saw cut was rarely if ever used on a vintage jack, it was used on Barlows probably because saw cut was cheap and quick to make, most Barlows were the low end knife in a manufacturers line, made cheap and tough to be used hard.
They already threw tradition out the window, so saw cut bone would be fitting and look good on this heavy duty worker.:thumbsup:

Wood and micarta are more suitable for heavy workers. Wood will get my vote. I'm not a bone cover fan personally except to admire in others glamour pics. I'd love to see this done in African Blackwood or Walnut.

How about ebony wood with a diamond shield?
I do really like ebony and ironwood but I personally feel like they are a little more commonly used. A dark rich ebony is awesome though!

Although it will greatly limit our choice in woods, I hope that knifeswapper knifeswapper Mike and GEC limit the wood choices to species not on the CITES list, so our brethren across borders aren't excluded from this year's offer.

And, although I'm a micarta fan, I agree to no micarta - we just had a sheepsfoot knife with micarta scales.

Although it will greatly limit our choice in woods, I hope that knifeswapper knifeswapper Mike and GEC limit the wood choices to species not on the CITES list, so our brethren across borders aren't excluded from this year's offer.

This has been discussed elsewhere and will probably be discussed again when the appropriate polls are opened; but I see no reason to limit options simply due to Sched II/III inclusion.
Last years slabs had the same export requirements at CITES Sched II/III; how many international folks were excluded?

Cherry & Oak are indigenous to the Titusville area...…. Might be nice to have a wood that came from GEC's own back yard...…… Forestry is still very viable in the Titusville / Tidioute area...… I'm sure Bill Howard could source either very easily...….

Cherry & Oak are indigenous to the Titusville area...…. Might be nice to have a wood that came from GEC's own back yard...…… Forestry is still very viable in the Titusville / Tidioute area...… I'm sure Bill Howard could source either very easily...….

There are no less than 500 sawmills here in Crawford County, PA. The timber industry has been booming in this part of PA for 250 years, and shows no signs of ever slowing down. The Amish community is very heavily invested into sawmills and logging.

Lots of people are asking for satin bolsters, but I prefer polished. Satin is too easy to scuff up, and there are always complaints of knives arriving scuffed already. Not to mention that a handful of members here end up polishing satin bolsters anyway. What am I missing here?

Lots of people are asking for satin bolsters, but I prefer polished. Satin is too easy to scuff up, and there are always complaints of knives arriving scuffed already. Not to mention that a handful of members here end up polishing satin bolsters anyway. What am I missing here?
For me it’s way easier to touch up satin. Not so easy to get scratches and nicks out of a polished bolster. Although if some like the satin look, it’s pretty simple to do that to a polish finish.

You're missing the most important reason...people can't zoom in on the bolster to see what's going on o_O... allows you to take pictures in your underwear if you want :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back