1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Jun 21, 2019.

1. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I posted some time back about how the shield placement looked off in the production pictures, as if it were not centered between the pin holes. Looking at this completed example, I see how the backspring pin is a little larger than the cover pin, and the shield looks right. :cool::thumbsup:

Ratbert, JohnDF and neal70 like this.
  2. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Hey porch folks! I had a little extra money and some dealer points and decided to try the 29 as it seemed like a 35 Churchill with a punch and Osage is a cover I’ve not tried before. I think this one may top the 35 Churchill, but the jury is still out. The light pulls don’t bother me and the action is still quite nice—it isn’t knocking down any doors but it isn’t whispering either. I’m interested to see how the wood darkens over time.

3082B611-E446-4A51-94D8-6F958E2D6C2B.jpeg

Travman, mb>, tmd_87 and 12 others like this.
  3. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I agree, r8shell. It seems like it must always be a compromise when they put a straight shield on a serpentine frame. The two different sized pins just compound the difficulty.

neal70 and r8shell like this.
  4. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Why would the pins be different sizes on the bone covers than on the wood? My Osage pins are equally sized.

5. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I had a Churchill but to me it was like a larger equal end jack handle with a little sheep foot stuck on the other end. Too bulky for what you got. Never took to it.

6. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I've been sitting here this morning just playing with my #29. It has become one of my favorite fidget toys. The pull is only about a 4.5 but the 'snap' is strong on it. That makes it pretty fun to play with. :cool::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

7. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    I was twirling it in my fingers the other night. Can't do that as well with my 4" knives

neal70 and JohnDF like this.
  8. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Dave @dc50 and I were talking about it the other day, traditional pocket knives make the BEST fidget toys. :cool::thumbsup:

BuckShack, pmek5, Boxer .45 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Worry stones, that's one of the reasons I like smooth wood and bone.

neal70, dc50, akaMatt and 1 other person like this.
  10. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    That too. :cool::thumbsup:
    Especially with the hump in the back spring.

neal70 and dc50 like this.
  11. Morrow7x

Morrow7x

Feb 10, 2019
    Saw that on FB today. I was stoked to get a new acrylic, but seeing those covers on that particular knife... Thinking about where you would have found that knife, and the kind of hard work that pattern might have been put to in the 'pre-collector' days, that BSJB just creates a perfect picture. Being new to the GEC game, I still find my thoughts on them evolving. Somebody might be getting grits for Christmas... ;-)

neal70 likes this.
  12. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Peek at some stag...
    IMG_9392.jpg
    Looks like they are going for red...

IMG_9398.jpg
    The bloodwood looks pretty nice :)
    IMG_9399.jpg

Travman, TexasTomcat, neal70 and 4 others like this.
  13. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    It’s that the bone covers are textured and the wood covers are smooth. If it’s smooth they sand it flat so the pin is not much bigger that the hole it’s in but if the covers are textured the pin is spun and it’s bigger than the hole. It doesn’t matter that it’s wood or bone, textured wood would be spun pins and smooth bone wood be sanded flat.

Shurke, neal70, JTB_5 and 1 other person like this.
  14. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    I thought the Northfields were going to be Copperhead jigged bone not Red ?

Travman and Fox79 like this.
  15. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Pull ratings. So subjective.
    I’m using:

Too light to be safe
    Light but all right
    Just right
    Difficult
    Impossible

My GBM 29 = Just right.

Kiro, neal70, Boxer .45 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    Very classic looking! Looks like they pulled it out of a 80 year time capsule or something.

17. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    The M&G Texas Ranger is up :thumbsup:
    MG_29_01.jpg
    MG_29_02.jpg
    MG_29_03.jpg

18. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Those are pretty cool looking. I figured with a name like that they would have had a star shield.

KellyGlanzer, neal70 and waverave like this.
  19. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    I like these a lot.

HEMI 49, t.willy and waverave like this.
  20. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I got one of the #29s in Grits with Butter & Molasses acrylic. I wasn't sure I was going to keep it. The main clip point's tip isn't proud, but because of the gaps made by the blades on each side there's enough space that it's pretty easy to get a finger in enough to catch on. It's probably not a practical issue, but something I noticed. I like low sitting sheepfoot blades, but I was also slightly concerned about the fact that the nail nick sits about as close as can be to the frame.

However, I decided to sharpen it and put it in my pocket and I've been enjoying it. I used it to slice up a longevity "peach" that a friend brought in to work. I also used the awl to pry my computer case open a bit (which somehow fixes the screen when it goes blank) several times.

[​IMG]

Hmmm, no "flesh only" etch on the spey? Ken told me at the Rendezvous they were supposed to have this etch but they received them (at the Rendezvous) without it, and that they were going back into the factory for the etch.

Onearmbladenut, mb>, Dschal and 3 others like this.