2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2018
    These knives will look so much better after sucking gun oil. I will BE buying this knife. The nail nick is closer to the point , which makes the knife easier opening for me. I still buy Tidioute and Northfields regardless. The good looks blows us all away. "GEC KNIFE COLLECTING IS WAR !"

2. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I am annoyed with all the brushed finishes. Bolsters and shields should be polished. They already don’t polish all the micarta and the desert ironwood knives. Do they really need to add Sucker Rod wood to that list? It seems lazy.

Augie, Ramrodmb, Pàdruig and 3 others like this.
  3. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I haven’t owned a satin finished gec yet. I’m not a fan of micarta (except ivory, I do like that) so i haven’t invested in one yet. If I don’t care for the satin, I’ll polish it up myself.

4. Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I grab a rag , polish , and use different oils. I never knew my knives were unpolished from the factory. I play with them , clean/oil them , throw them in wood boxes and spread them all over my spare bed. I could care less if any go up or down in value. I have never sold or traded a knife in my life. I quit counting after 150+. My Blade Forum #86 will be number 50 GEC knife for me. All my knives are cool keepers. I like GEC , Boker Solingen , Schatt & Morgan , CASEXX , and most American made traditional knives. I think that the CASE XX Tribal-lock and the CASE XX Trapper-lock Kickstart are the best value knives on Earth. I want knives to be collectable tools not idol worshiping. Grab your least favorite, most unused, unloved knives and take them where ever you go. You will learn to love them for what they are.

tmd_87 and blademan 13 like this.
  5. NewBlades16

NewBlades16 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Just "Not my cup of tea" because of the wrench but I can see someone wanting for a symbolic representation; mechanic, tradesman and the like.

6. Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I wanted a "Rock Around the Clock" #86 Oily Creek bone knife with guitar shield. "ROCK-N-ROCK 65 YEARS" blade etching. I like crazy kooky fun stuff. I am sure the #86 Oily Creek bone Oil Jack with be a super seller winner. I will be so thankful to have one soon.

7. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    This 1st batch didn't turn out nearly as handsome as I had envisioned them being when I reserved mine. :confused:

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  8. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Absolutely. I've been known to turn more than a few wrenches but it isn't my identity or main occupation. I respect that the shield choice has more meaning to some than it does for me and I hope that this knife ends up being everything that those folks are hoping for.

I am very much a classic shield fan, though, and the wrench just doesn't do it for me. However, that takes second place to the brushed finish on the bolsters, it really would look a lot better with some polish.

TFBraden and Travman like this.
  9. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I've long contended that I enjoy micarta on a fixed blade as it is very much a utilitarian cover choice, I just don't like it on my slip joints. Satin (or brushed) finishes on the bolsters/shield are troublesome and I have no liking for them. They are far more susceptible to highlighting scuffs and such and they just do not provide the elegant, classy look that I have come to appreciate in traditional cutlery.

blademan 13, Travman and SVTFreak like this.
  10. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014

Travman. I'm with you, I don't like brushed finish's. The wrench I can live with but would have preferred a classic shield such as a cloud.

11. Jarhead Greasemonkey

Jarhead Greasemonkey Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Guess I'm the odd man out on this one...

I prefer the micarta/wood knives with satin/brushed finishes.

When the cover material gets "fancy" then the bolsters and blades should match.

That's a big part of what's drawn me into the GEC world; a little something for everyone (as long as you're quick on the take).

:cool:

12. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I tend to agree with this... I'm more of a satin-finish kind of fan... whether on gunstocks or other tools. A high polish is ok, I suppose, and can be very attractive, but I usually prefer a satin, or brushed type finish. For example, in Case knives, I very much prefer the "as ground" blades to the polished..

Sacto and Jarhead Greasemonkey like this.
  13. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2016
    Sounds like people are 50/50 on this Oil Sucker wrench knife...Anyone know production totals? Are these gonna sit on the shelves?

14. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014

Ryan, I don't know, I'm still buying the sucker rod even though I would have preferred it being done differently. Very hard for me to turn down a large 2 blade jack, one of my favorite patterns. I will be trying more for the SFO's than the regular run, little disappointed on handle options on the regular run, have no interest in micarta or acrylic, would have really liked a wood option on the Northfield.

Ramrodmb and bax229 like this.
  15. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    This thread is 10 pages long and has almost 200 posts. And the knives aren't even released yet.

I don't know what that says exactly, but it says something.

I am particularly looking forward to the "Black Jack" and stag versions! :thumbsup:

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  16. Jarhead Greasemonkey

Jan 4, 2015
    Bad news for the wrench haters...

Micarta gets the wrench shield as well!

[​IMG]

:D

17. Jarhead Greasemonkey

Jan 4, 2015
    I guess that's bad news for the wrench lovers as well...

There goes another $100-ish to get a 3rd #86!

nyrico, redsparrow and bax229 like this.
  18. Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    500 EACH -- I HOPE THE OIL JACK #86 OIL SUCKER ROD WOOD DOES NOT SELL OUT. I HAVE THE OILY CREEK BONE , BLOODWOOD , AND CHARLIE #86 KNIVES ON PRE-ORDER. I WANT TO BUY AN OIL SUCKER ROD WOOD #86 AND A XXL "WHO CUT ONE ?" T-SHIRT IN DECEMBER.

19. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Ha, I was breathing a sigh of relief, as the wrench doesn't do much for me and the other variants I want, not to mention the forum knife, are already costing me enough!

Jarhead Greasemonkey and bax229 like this.
  20. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2016
    Sorry if this was already discussed...Is the Forum knife getting an etch?

Onearmbladenut likes this.