2020 GEC #23 Trapper Thread

SXubV2v.jpg

sEHMwbW.jpg

A little surprise on my porch this morning. Pull is about a 6, the Micarta is more like a 7.

Edited to add: the Micarta has been getting a workout for the last couple of weeks. It’s the perfect size for eating, if you need more than your butter knife and don’t feel like walking into the kitchen. It also makes light of the sturdiest cardboard box.

The mesquite is ...wow. Almost too pretty for me to use. This thing just screams “Texas.” It’s big, it’s slightly rustic but decidedly refined, and of course, the mesquite... bomb shield is perfectly inlaid, too. I’ve never handled mesquite wood before. Is it stabilized, or natural?
That mesquite is fantastic! I doubt seriously that it is stabilized.. mesquite is a pretty dense, hard wood, and doesn't really need it. The only thing some folks do is fill the worm holes that seem to be pretty prevalent ...

Received this one Saturday but we have been too busy with Family and other visitors to take photos . It is not the nicest one that I have seen posted , but I am extremely happy with it . I have had plenty of time to CE & CF it and have found nothing wrong with it . Pull is 6 to 7 ??? A little less than my other one . One of my children was here when I opened the tube and wanted one for Christmas ???? As I expected , it is considerably lighter than it's big brother that is also pictured .
[/url[url=https://imgur.com/C06TgoF]
[/url[url=https://imgur.com/zVdwlyq]
[/url[url=https://imgur.com/TR8IzXI]

Harry[/url][/url][/url]

I bought the Mesquite #23LL , a CASE XX Pocket Worn Harvest Orange bone Tribal-lock knife , Lube cream , and Lanyard braid . My package just left Houston , Texas. It should be here late in a few days. As long as it gets here , I am happy & thankful. I hope I get the ugliest one in the bunch. Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

I finally got a #23 in my pocket - my first new GEC since the virus hit us. I was initially pretty torn about this pattern. Having never experienced it in hand, I had some concerns about its size. I opted to put my name on a single variant which happened to be one of the last ones produced - a single blade liner lock in Mesquite. I was also interested in getting one of the jigged bone liner locks but it looks like those may not come to fruition - a big bummer as I really liked that bullet shield. I may have to satisfy that itch with a 2 blade version if one can be found later.

The knife itself is a beauty (I haven't seen a bad looking one in Mesquite yet - they all look terrific). The size is not nearly as cumbersome feeling as the #97 was - that could just be me though... The blade is big, thin, and quite attractive with its relieved spine and lack of a garish etch (good move on Mike's part to keep his modest etch on the pile side).

I find that pull to be quite excellent - far more satisfactory to me than the pull on the #43s. Right out of the tube, the walk and talk is simply a delight - it practically sings!

My only gripe is that I really wish GEC had not put a liner lock on a knife with half stops - in fact, I find it rather absurd. It takes a bit of thought to disengage the lock and not have my thumb potentially in the way of the blade snapping to the half stop. A little practice though and I should be plenty used to it.

Overall, an excellent knife that I hope to put to some good use.

tU17XJw.jpg

N13L7Pw.jpg

xImdMcK.jpg

xh49LFC.jpg

bFRCZqM.jpg

I finally got a #23 in my pocket - my first new GEC since the virus hit us. I was initially pretty torn about this pattern. Having never experienced it in hand, I had some concerns about its size. I opted to put my name on a single variant which happened to be one of the last ones produced - a single blade liner lock in Mesquite. I was also interested in getting one of the jigged bone liner locks but it looks like those may not come to fruition - a big bummer as I really liked that bullet shield. I may have to satisfy that itch with a 2 blade version if one can be found later.

The knife itself is a beauty (I haven't seen a bad looking one in Mesquite yet - they all look terrific). The size is not nearly as cumbersome feeling as the #97 was - that could just be me though... The blade is big, thin, and quite attractive with its relieved spine and lack of a garish etch (good move on Mike's part to keep his modest etch on the pile side).

I find that pull to be quite excellent - far more satisfactory to me than the pull on the #43s. Right out of the tube, the walk and talk is simply a delight - it practically sings!

My only gripe is that I really wish GEC had not put a liner lock on a knife with half stops - in fact, I find it rather absurd. It takes a bit of thought to disengage the lock and not have my thumb potentially in the way of the blade snapping to the half stop. A little practice though and I should be plenty used to it.

tU17XJw.jpg

N13L7Pw.jpg

xImdMcK.jpg

xh49LFC.jpg

bFRCZqM.jpg
Nice one Dylan! I like you was a bit apprehensive about the size of the 23s. Turns out to be so comfy in hand and not bothersome at all in the pocket. Really a great size, especially for a field knife. Wish I had bought one years ago. Took me a while but I got use to GEC liner locks and now I can really appreciate them, even on the knives with half-stops. I hope you find the same thing real soon. Anyways enjoy and please just keep your Pioneer far away from any smokers! ;)

tU17XJw.jpg

N13L7Pw.jpg

xImdMcK.jpg

xh49LFC.jpg

bFRCZqM.jpg
I find the half stop a measure of safety with the LL models...the interruption of momentum gives you time to get your thumb out of the way before sending the blade home to full close. Personal preference and all, but I prefer a half stop with a LL on a knife with any degree of snap.

I agree with what you've said Dylan. My first inclination was to release the lock with my dominant (right) hand which as you said puts your thumb in the way. I find that by releasing the lock with my left hand while holding the blade with my right everything works smoothly and safely.

I agree with what you've said Dylan. My first inclination was to release the lock with my dominant (right) hand which as you said puts your thumb in the way. I find that by releasing the lock with my left hand while holding the blade with my right everything works smoothly and safely.
Interesting. I've just been using my left hand to disengage the liner and being very deliberate to get the tang past the locking notch before moving my left out of the way and treating the knife like a normal slip joint. I'll have to try your method and see if I prefer it. I don't mind the liner lock, as it adds a bit of safety and it is an interesting novelty feature, but it certainly isn't necessary.

I think it is odd that the GEC 23 liner locks I have seen in person all do not have lock touch knife tang.
I know many people refer to this as “lock stick”, but on an Emerson, Benchmade or Spyderco “lock stick” is actually normal lock up.
Is there something traditional about a liner lock that doesn’t touch the tang but which does lock knife in open position?
Why do I feel the need to start hanging ever-increasing weights off the tip of the knife until failure?

tU17XJw.jpg

N13L7Pw.jpg

xImdMcK.jpg

xh49LFC.jpg

bFRCZqM.jpg
Great taste, in knives, whiskey, and cigars.... life is good! That mesquite, while not highly "figured" is about as nice as it gets. Great grain, well matched... beautiful knife.
Mike absolutely struck gold with this knife/handle selection. Mine is in my pocket today...

Having one arm left hand , I am a dang fool for buying a GEC#23/23LL knife to start with. After the Northfield #23LL Redtail Bullets shield knives are made , I should end up with thirteen . I am having the main blade removed on the Northfield #23 Antique Autumn Natural bone right now. Thank God for half stops on big knives. I am so looking forward for the #33 & #35 knives coming up. (edit) I did drop an opened GEC#23LL Beaver gnawed cherry-wood knife point down on my big left toe. Blood shot every where and my 80 year old mother saved the day with a band aid. I got an ear full butt chewing too. Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

Last edited:
I disengage my 23 lock (and my 73) with my right thumb, then use the remaining fingers of my right hand to hold the knife while my left hand closes the blade to half stop. Seems pretty simple and straightforward, and I like the assurance of the half stop that the blade won’t inadvertently close on my thumb.

My 73 lock is perfectly fitted: it slides to the right side of the knife and never sticks on the knife tang, but fits so closely that lockup is as solid as you could wish.

My Micarta 23 sticks on the top of the tang and won’t go fully to the right unless I help it. Also have to push it harder to disengage. Lockup is bank-vault tight with zero play of course. Problem is, it sticks once the liner is 90-100% onto the tang but no more. I’d feel better if it were more centered when it “stuck,” just to make sure some particular violent force didn’t just force the lock back to its left position and close the blade.

My mesquite has easier action all around which really is nicer to use. Zero stick and the lock goes fully to the right. But it’s also not touching the tang at all and the blade will move a hair if you try to close it with the lock engaged.

In practice all three linerlocks are equally effective in preventing some bone-headed move from closing the blade and doing nasty things to your fingers. I don’t think any one of them would or could actually fail in use.

Received this one Saturday but we have been too busy with Family and other visitors to take photos . It is not the nicest one that I have seen posted , but I am extremely happy with it . I have had plenty of time to CE & CF it and have found nothing wrong with it . Pull is 6 to 7 ??? A little less than my other one . One of my children was here when I opened the tube and wanted one for Christmas ???? As I expected , it is considerably lighter than it's big brother that is also pictured .
[/url
[/url
[/url

Harry
Looks great Harry! :) :thumbsup:

tU17XJw.jpg

N13L7Pw.jpg

xImdMcK.jpg

xh49LFC.jpg

bFRCZqM.jpg
That’s a nice one Dylan! They’re all beautiful! :thumbsup: :D

Having one arm left hand , I am a dang fool for buying a GEC#23/23LL knife to start with. After the Northfield #23LL Redtail Bullets shield knives are made , I should end up with thirteen . I am having the main blade removed on the Northfield #23 Antique Autumn Natural bone right now. Thank God for half stops on big knives. I am so looking forward for the #33 & #35 knives coming up. (edit) I did drop an opened GEC#23LL Beaver gnawed cherry-wood knife point down on my big left toe. Blood shot every where and my 80 year old mother saved the day with a band aid. I got an ear full butt chewing too. Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !
My mom is 80 as well, and still saving me with band-aids! :thumbsup:

Back