2020 GEC #23 Trapper Thread

Hopefully the Autumn bone LLs isnt delayed indefinitely. Glad I snagged a beavertail when i had the chance, was originally thinking since it was available I'd get one to hold me over until the Autumn arrived, but may become my only #23. Makes for a fistfull of a worry stone at least! :):thumbsup:

Hopefully the Autumn bone LLs isnt delayed indefinitely. Glad I snagged a beavertail when i had the chance, was originally thinking since it was available I'd get one to hold me over until the Autumn arrived, but may become my only #23. Makes for a fistfull of a worry stone at least! :):thumbsup:

I saw on a dealer's IG today that he expects to have more Autumn Bones as well as Red Tail LLs next week. I like the Autumn bone too, but think the Red Tail will be hard to resist.

I think it is odd that the GEC 23 liner locks I have seen in person all do not have lock touch knife tang.
I know many people refer to this as “lock stick”, but on an Emerson, Benchmade or Spyderco “lock stick” is actually normal lock up.
Is there something traditional about a liner lock that doesn’t touch the tang but which does lock knife in open position?
Why do I feel the need to start hanging ever-increasing weights off the tip of the knife until failure?

The modern folders rely on the lock wedging against the tang to hold the blade open... The traditional knife relies on the backspring to hold the blade open..... The liner lock on a traditional knife is unnecessary during normal use, but is there incase you want to be 100% sure the knife won't close....

Nice one Dylan! I like you was a bit apprehensive about the size of the 23s. Turns out to be so comfy in hand and not bothersome at all in the pocket. Really a great size, especially for a field knife. Wish I had bought one years ago. Took me a while but I got use to GEC liner locks and now I can really appreciate them, even on the knives with half-stops. I hope you find the same thing real soon. Anyways enjoy and please just keep your Pioneer far away from any smokers! ;)

Thank you, James! I have to very much agree with you with regards to the size, ergonomics, and ease of carry. I was comparing it to my Bull Buster last night and while the #21 is a knife that I enjoy for its utility and value, it is rather bulky compared to the #23 LL. I would be more inclined to wear the #21 in a belt sheath than the Pioneer.

So far, I have been very happy with my Pioneer - I am very surprised at how much I ended up liking it and it is in my pocket again today.

I find the half stop a measure of safety with the LL models...the interruption of momentum gives you time to get your thumb out of the way before sending the blade home to full close. Personal preference and all, but I prefer a half stop with a LL on a knife with any degree of snap.

I appreciate your perspective, Duane. Admittedly, I don't have a lot (if any) experience with liner locks on traditional patterns. I am very familiar with liner and frame locks on more modern folders and I think that familiarity is what threw me off with regards to the half stops on this #23. I am still of a mind that the half stop is unnecessary with a lock feature included on a slip joint (think Buck 110) but I understand that the additional safety measure is a bit of comfort for folks and that isn't something that I judge one bit.

I agree with what you've said Dylan. My first inclination was to release the lock with my dominant (right) hand which as you said puts your thumb in the way. I find that by releasing the lock with my left hand while holding the blade with my right everything works smoothly and safely.

That is an excellent approach, Alan. Since you've mentioned it, I have been using that technique and it is far more satisfactory. I think with me being used to a liner or frame lock on a modern folder, I was treating the #23 as such and I don't think that is a good approach. The 2-hand method of closing feels far safer and doesn't even really inconvenience me since I am using two hands to open the knife anyway...

Great taste, in knives, whiskey, and cigars.... life is good! That mesquite, while not highly "figured" is about as nice as it gets. Great grain, well matched... beautiful knife.
Mike absolutely struck gold with this knife/handle selection. Mine is in my pocket today...

Thank you, my friend. This was an excellent SFO for Mike to end things on due to GEC's recent decision. I am very happy I was able to take part.

That’s a nice one Dylan! They’re all beautiful! :thumbsup: :D

Thank you, Ron! I agree - Mesquite is a unique wood and it looks quite good on all of the examples pictured so far.

One to go....... This is a partial family photo of 2020 23 trappers..... I have a bullet liner lock coming; I missed getting the blue Camel bone; And I ended up with an extra 2 blade beaver....
I'm very pleased with all of them.... I'm probably the odd guy out, but I'd like to have seen one in a black wood with a dazzling shield.....20200804_122531.jpg

I finally got a #23 in my pocket - my first new GEC since the virus hit us. I was initially pretty torn about this pattern. Having never experienced it in hand, I had some concerns about its size. I opted to put my name on a single variant which happened to be one of the last ones produced - a single blade liner lock in Mesquite. I was also interested in getting one of the jigged bone liner locks but it looks like those may not come to fruition - a big bummer as I really liked that bullet shield. I may have to satisfy that itch with a 2 blade version if one can be found later.

The knife itself is a beauty (I haven't seen a bad looking one in Mesquite yet - they all look terrific). The size is not nearly as cumbersome feeling as the #97 was - that could just be me though... The blade is big, thin, and quite attractive with its relieved spine and lack of a garish etch (good move on Mike's part to keep his modest etch on the pile side).

I find that pull to be quite excellent - far more satisfactory to me than the pull on the #43s. Right out of the tube, the walk and talk is simply a delight - it practically sings!

My only gripe is that I really wish GEC had not put a liner lock on a knife with half stops - in fact, I find it rather absurd. It takes a bit of thought to disengage the lock and not have my thumb potentially in the way of the blade snapping to the half stop. A little practice though and I should be plenty used to it.

Overall, an excellent knife that I hope to put to some good use.

tU17XJw.jpg

N13L7Pw.jpg

xImdMcK.jpg

xh49LFC.jpg

bFRCZqM.jpg

Great assessment, Dylan! (Beautiful knife, too!)

The liner lock is a bit unnecessary. I definitely wouldn’t go around snapping this thing shut against my thigh, although I rarely do that anyways. I’ve been using my right hand to hold the knife and disengage the lock, and just walking the blade closed with my left.

I was thinking about it when I read your post last night, and thought that the ideal liner lock knife for me would have a light pull, smooth action and no half stops, so that I could disengage the lock with my thumb, use the index finger of the same hand to start closing the blade, adjust my hand to move my thumb out of the way and finish closing the knife, all using only the one hand. Then I realized that I was describing the way I would close a modern folder with a liner lock. :rolleyes: :D My #72 lock back does have a light, smooth action like I’m describing, but obviously that whole mechanism and spring are completely different.

My Micarta 23 sticks on the top of the tang and won’t go fully to the right unless I help it. Also have to push it harder to disengage. Lockup is bank-vault tight with zero play of course. Problem is, it sticks once the liner is 90-100% onto the tang but no more. I’d feel better if it were more centered when it “stuck,” just to make sure some particular violent force didn’t just force the lock back to its left position and close the blade.

My Micarta is similar (if I’m understanding what you’re saying correctly). If I let it snap into open position, the liner lock goes about 2/3 of the way to the right. If disengage the lock and then let it lock again (without moving the blade), it only just engages. I am able to push it all to the opposite liner fairly easily, but it won’t go there on it’s own.

On the two Beaver Tails I have (one I’m keeping, one I’m giving away), both go all the way to the opposite liner when opened normally. One of them gives a little resistance against the tang when operating the lock (not as much as the Micarta), the other moves smooth as butter. All three knives lock up tight with no discernible blade play.

I see that they've dropped the 23s off of the production schedule. Safe to pour one out for the Bullet LL? Was looking forward to that one...

NOOOOoooooo!! I hope they don’t abandon the single blade Bullet, I was hoping to round out my #23LL’s into a nice little trio with one. Guess I’ll just have to get ahold of a Mesquite instead (ha!). :rolleyes: :D

I’ve been carrying my Woodland Micarta LL for about a week and a half now, and using it for everything I can think of (including a lot of kitchen use). The natural patina was coming along ok, but I got bored yesterday and supplemented it with a forced vinegar patina. I don’t know that I’ve done that on a blade that already had some patina before, and it came out a little darker than I expected. :eek: :D

The only traditional knife of this size that I’ve carried regularly before is a #21 Bull Buster. The size of the #23 has been fine, a little heavier than the Bull Buster, but not too noticeable in my pocket.

The shape of the blade is great, and works well for a variety of tasks. The blade is pretty thin for it’s size, too. So far the only task for which I found myself wanting a different knife was slicing some crumbly aged cheddar cheese.

I do wish this knife had a lanyard tube. I like having a small fob on bigger single blade knives like this.

I think the square end and flush tang are cool features, but I will say that the sharp edges on the square bolsters seem like they could be pocket killers, and the flush tang eliminates a function that I often use my GEC knives for — opening other GEC tubes. ;) :D

I am really enjoying this knife so far, and I think I’ll keep carrying it a while longer. :thumbsup:

U6NPRRm.jpg

Thank you, James! I have to very much agree with you with regards to the size, ergonomics, and ease of carry. I was comparing it to my Bull Buster last night and while the #21 is a knife that I enjoy for its utility and value, it is rather bulky compared to the #23 LL. I would be more inclined to wear the #21 in a belt sheath than the Pioneer.

So far, I have been very happy with my Pioneer - I am very surprised at how much I ended up liking it and it is in my pocket again today.

I appreciate your perspective, Duane. Admittedly, I don't have a lot (if any) experience with liner locks on traditional patterns. I am very familiar with liner and frame locks on more modern folders and I think that familiarity is what threw me off with regards to the half stops on this #23. I am still of a mind that the half stop is unnecessary with a lock feature included on a slip joint (think Buck 110) but I understand that the additional safety measure is a bit of comfort for folks and that isn't something that I judge one bit.

That is an excellent approach, Alan. Since you've mentioned it, I have been using that technique and it is far more satisfactory. I think with me being used to a liner or frame lock on a modern folder, I was treating the #23 as such and I don't think that is a good approach. The 2-hand method of closing feels far safer and doesn't even really inconvenience me since I am using two hands to open the knife anyway...

Thank you, my friend. This was an excellent SFO for Mike to end things on due to GEC's recent decision. I am very happy I was able to take part.

Thank you, Ron! I agree - Mesquite is a unique wood and it looks quite good on all of the examples pictured so far.

I didn’t see this before making my post above. Looks like you beat me to a lot of the points I made! :D :D

For what it’s worth, a GEC dealer (not sure if they’re a BF supporting dealer, so I won’t say which) just mentioned in an Instagram post that GEC is “still currently making the Autumn and Red Tail #23LL’s,” so that’s good news! :thumbsup:

Edited to add: Looks like GEC mentioned more #23LL’s on Instagram, too.

s5M0Yj7.jpg

Last edited:
I’m very happy I got my mesquite after being on standby, honestly didn’t think I had a shot with how fast the rest of the liner locks were going. Might still pick up an antique autumn, they just look fantastic.

It's good to see that they definitely have not given up on the jigged bone Northfield 23LL.

I'm still waiting for USPS to deliver my two blade bullet Northfield. At this pace I may get the next LL before that one.

Back