2020 GEC#47 VIPER RUN

After a good sanding and polishing which should have been done at the factory IMO ;)

3G3hjm2.jpg

V2hDnTn.jpg

NC5UQmO.jpg

5StHAxa.jpg

Did you do that on a buffing wheel? Outstanding...

Thank you, I did it mostly by hand started with 400 wet/dry paper up to 1200 then used one of those three sided nail buffing blocks you can get at the store. I finished with some paste wax and a quick buff on a dry wheel on my bench grinder. The scratches on the bolster and shield were very deep so that took some work. They left these even rougher than the 74 I buffed out. I still don't understand their reasoning behind leaving them so unfinished o_O

After a good sanding and polishing which should have been done at the factory IMO

This is how a Viper in Ironwood looks after me doing GEC's job for them and properly polishing it. The sanding grooves were deep in the shield & bolsters and took some time to sand and polish out. Very disappointed in the lack of workmanship on these and the 74's as far as finish goes. Satin is one thing but finishing with what looks like 100 grit paper and calling it good is another. :thumbsdown:

How many times are you going to let us know your opinion on this?

Thank you, I did it mostly by hand started with 400 wet/dry paper up to 1200 then used one of those three sided nail buffing blocks you can get at the store. I finished with some paste wax and a quick buff on a dry wheel on my bench grinder. The scratches on the bolster and shield were very deep so that took some work. They left these even rougher than the 74 I buffed out. I still don't understand their reasoning behind leaving them so unfinished o_O

Caught Bill at home today and he said if you want to do that 120 times per day for $15/hour come see him. He can use you on the finishing line. ;)

Maybe I’m just not a stag guy. I don’t usually go for it, partly because I don’t like the gamble/not knowing what you’re going to get, and also because I dislike some of the attributes you often get with stag-handled pocket knives (like thick/uneven covers).

Now this is a perfectly handsome knife, but for whatever reason, it’s just not exciting me very much right now.

yYFSYne.jpg

nkrf0cv.jpg

Bzt9HIB.jpg

Here’s a top-down look. Not too thick overall, but I personally prefer thinner, more uniform stag over this sort of Coke bottle/hourglass shape. I might need to leave this one on my desk for a few days, see if it grows on me. (Hey, you never know!) :D

IOwcBI3.jpg

Here’s a #47 group photo; a couple from 2016 and three from this run.

fuHYZh1.jpg

Maybe I’m just not a stag guy. I don’t usually go for it, partly because I don’t like the gamble/not knowing what you’re going to get, and also because I dislike some of the attributes you often get with stag-handled pocket knives (like thick/uneven covers).

Now this is a perfectly handsome knife, but for whatever reason, it’s just not exciting me very much right now.

yYFSYne.jpg

nkrf0cv.jpg

Bzt9HIB.jpg

Here’s a top-down look. Not too thick overall, but I personally prefer thinner, more uniform stag over this sort of Coke bottle/hourglass shape. I might need to leave this one on my desk for a few days, see if it grows on me. (Hey, you never know!) :D

IOwcBI3.jpg

Here’s a #47 group photo; a couple from 2016 and three from this run.

fuHYZh1.jpg
I think you have a nice collection of 47s there Barrett . I know that many people do not prefer Stag like I do , but I think you have some nice Stag there . I feel like you can not expect to get Stag handled knives like you prefer at the price we will pay , unless you just get lucky . I think it has changed a lot in the last 4 years since more people have discovered Stag . IMHO you have the 2 desirable covers of the 47s . Carry it in good health my friend .

Harry

84CDD20B-54F2-4A95-9A7F-DED949E11E4F.jpeg 0FB6C255-9AE9-411B-9CE4-516CEBE407AC.jpeg FB1C4621-A34F-4652-8B11-6059080BE8E8.jpeg A2883D35-9D42-4C5A-9F0E-2907AB895B4C.jpeg 944CE84B-13BA-412F-9DD3-94F600041D94.jpeg

My 47 just showed up. It’s not the prettiest stag, but boy does it feel good in hand. Here it is pictured next to my 74. It has much fatter scales which give it an excellent grip. Now I’m not sure if I can pick a favorite between the 74 and 47.

View attachment 1488523 View attachment 1488524 View attachment 1488525 View attachment 1488526 View attachment 1488527

My 47 just showed up. It’s not the prettiest stag, but boy does it feel good in hand. Here it is pictured next to my 74. It has much fatter scales which give it an excellent grip. Now I’m not sure if I can pick a favorite between the 74 and 47.
Why pick? It's a set. A bellied slicer and a sweet straight edge. That's why I think these two runs are so fun. I was able to get a micarta set and a stag set and I tell you these will all be users the geometry with these handle/blade setups is so nice. Your 47 stag looks like some pocket time will make it a classic.

Back