2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

She asked me to carve her a monkey... so, I tried...

Full disclosure... I used a Flexcut detail knife for most of it, and worked the smaller areas with the white bone pocket carver...

I appreciate the disclosure! Extra points for only using knives. I think the one-knife projects are special and you honor that by noting what you used. Whittling with only one knife is a challenge, and generally not as enjoyable to me since variety is the spice of life. (I own the same flex cut, so I would understand why you might choose that for this work.)

“... so I tried” is one of those phrases I enjoy. Good! Your project turned out excellent. The great thing about not shooting for realism: it can be excellent and merely resemble a monkey. Look at @jiki’s hillbillies... think about how many details your mind is filling in. Jiki just hints that’s they are there, but it’s really the brain that does some of the lifting.

In time you’ll pick that up and you’ll forget the time it took and what you pictured when you made it. You’ll see it with fresh eyes and appreciate the good work.

Great stuff! Pleased to hear your #62 PC is getting some attention. Keep it up! A lot of these whittlings will survive you and I’d bet a fair amount of them will surely be keepsakes. “You’re great grandpappy Hornetguy made this monkey with a knife, because he could. Also, here’s his #62 collection.” Why your parents named you Hornetguy is another story they might tell.

Look at @jiki’s hillbillies... think about how many details your mind is filling in. Jiki just hints that’s they are there, but it’s really the brain that does some of the lifting.
Spot on. They are characters, over emphasize one attribute, leave off another. Makes it fun.

Now I gotta figure out this whittling thing to justify the box that just arrived. Maybe I'll try Doug Linker's chicken stick.
The sun really brings out the best in this wood, I'm happy with the copy I recieved.
IuzkJhs.jpg

Those cocobolo carvers look beautiful.

For those of you with a set of #62 Carvers, What’s the most comfortable? Bone, Wood or Micarta?

I have the bone and a Micarta on order. Wondering if I “need” the cocobolo too!

Those cocobolo carvers look beautiful.

For those of you with a set of #62 Carvers, What’s the most comfortable? Bone, Wood or Micarta?

I have the bone and a Micarta on order. Wondering if I “need” the cocobolo too!

you absolutely do. I’m sure cocobolo is the MOST comfortable. It’ll probably make you a better whittler and solve at least one major life problem. Get it... you know you want it... come on... look at those beautiful knives... get it... get it... get it...

Holding the cocobolo Carver is like resting on a soft, yet firm, couch made of the finest Corinthian leather, with a glass of chilled lemonade in one hand and a perfectly cooked bratwurst on an onion bun with the best kind of mustard in the other.

Holding the bone version is very similar to eating cobbler sitting on a porch swing.

Holding the micarta version is like holding a football covered in Velcro and poison ivy and sitting on a three legged stool with one leg missing.

Holding the cocobolo Carver is like resting on a soft, yet firm, couch made of the finest Corinthian leather, with a glass of chilled lemonade in one hand and a perfectly cooked bratwurst on an onion bun with the best kind of mustard in the other.

I’m dying hahahaha

You, sir, could write the next great American novel.

and... my first attempt at a "little man"... done completely with the large blade on my white bone pocket carver. These are really good carving knives, once the blade angle is corrected to your liking, and stropped to a mirror polish. I'm loving it... and I have two more of them coming, as soon as the idiot... um, I mean, GOVERNOR in Pennsylvania allows GEC to go back to work.

edit:... I also meant to mention that my online tutor, Doug Linker has ordered a Pocket Carver, and is anxious to try it out. He's in Canada, so I guess shipping has been spotty, but I'm curious to hear his take on it.

jBO8ac.jpg

Back