2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

I accept variations, but calling something “blue
” when it’s a pukey off-yellow with a trace of a blue-ish tint isn’t fair play or “truth in advertising" to my way of thinking.

Well, as you will undoubtedly learn, natural materials do not all look the same. If you want that, you should stick with the acrylics, delrin, or micarta.

Camel bone has a tendency to take dye in unpredictable ways.. go back and look at the variations in the antique goldenrod on last years' run of the 92 Eureka Jack.

Sometimes you can exchange for something more to your liking, but most of the time, it's the luck of the draw.

Shoot, even good old rosewood can be as varied as night and day.. I've seen some that was almost blonde, and some that looked every bit like ebony.

I have a 66 calf roper in "hemlock green" jigged cow bone, that doesn't have even a hint of green in it. It looks brown.

Such a beautiful use for Birdseye Maple. Can't bring myself to carry it.
o7LJVCv.jpg

:cool: I'll carry it for you, don't you worry :D

Last edited:
I can understand @Chief being severely disappointed by the kind of sea wash green 'Blue' he got. But then again I can't :D as Blue is one colour in knives I've never liked and don't go for at all ;) But that sea green colour isn't at all bad:thumbsup: And I know he 's an experienced & discerning buyer so he'll know what to do with it.

Feel that if a dealer invites comments then they should try & read them and follow wishes until sold out, with Stag most people want Popcorn but not all, once that's gone it's pot-luck really. On the rare occasions I've asked for a type I've been pleased with the outcome, I did ask DLT to send a light colour DI so let's see if they were able to. Light is a subjective concept of course ;)

Whatever your tastes, this run of knives has offered a superb choice of scales and its been really gratifying to look at them all these past few weeks :thumbsup:

Well, as you will undoubtedly learn, natural materials do not all look the same. If you want that, you should stick with the acrylics, delrin, or micarta. Camel bone has a tendency to take dye in unpredictable ways.. go back and look at the variations in the antique goldenrod on last years' run of the 92 Eureka Jack. Sometimes you can exchange for something more to your liking, but most of the time, it's the luck of the draw. Shoot, even good old rosewood can be as varied as night and day.. I've seen some that was almost blonde, and some that looked every bit like ebony. I have a 66 calf roper in "hemlock green" jigged cow bone, that doesn't have even a hint of green in it. It looks brown.
I know all natural materials don’t look the same and that’s why I like Stag. What I don’t care for is something being advertised as being one thing when in reality (variations notwithstanding) it's something else. I'm an old-fashioned guy and to me that’s a credibility issue that doesn’t reflect positively on the advertiser.

I didn’t intend to ignite conflict here by daring to say anything contrary to what others want to hear. I apologize for having upset people and achieving unintended consequences by speaking what I see as the plain truth out loud. I’ll be more circumspect in the future.

Stumpy72 Stumpy72 On the contrary, I feel you should say exactly what your experiences have been, too bad if it's contrary to what some may want to hear, a Forum is for sharing opinions and evaluations not for fostering group-think or hive mentality :D That said, I really don't think most people are so small-minded as to take offence at hearing a contrary view.

On the subject of pre-ordering without seeing (sometimes without knowing what the material is :rolleyes::eek:) I steer clear of it for the reasons of disappointment or disillusionment;)

Stumpy72 Stumpy72 On the contrary, I feel you should say exactly what your experiences have been, too bad if it's contrary to what some may want to hear, a Forum is for sharing opinions and evaluations not for fostering group-think or hive mentality :D That said, I really don't think most people are so small-minded as to take offence at hearing a contrary view. On the subject of pre-ordering without seeing (sometimes without knowing what the material is :rolleyes::eek:) I steer clear of it for the reasons of disappointment or disillusionment;)
Thank you for letting me know that there are (at least two) other rational, objective and honest minds here.

On the subject of pre-ordering without seeing (sometimes without knowing what the material is :rolleyes::eek:) I steer clear of it for the reasons of disappointment or disillusionment;)

I couldn’t agreed more. I’ve already lost interest in the 62 run and now I’m stuck with 3 pre-orders that the dealer said they can’t cancel.

Thank you for letting me know that there are (at least two) other rational, objective and honest minds here.
Oh, good grief.... you posted a complaint, and others responded to it, and now everyone that disagrees with your "take" on it are not rational, objective, or honest?

Not a good way to have a discussion, my friend. Like Forrest Gump said... "that's all I got to say about that".... now back to our normal programming.

I couldn’t agreed more. I’ve already lost interest in the 62 run and now I’m stuck with 3 pre-orders that the dealer said they can’t cancel.

The last thing any dealer wants is for you to buy a knife you don't want... Don't buy them - what's the worst that can happen?
And then, in the future, think to yourself "is this something I might tire of before it is even released" - if yes, don't commit.

The last thing any dealer wants is for you to buy a knife you don't want... Don't buy them - what's the worst that can happen?
And then, in the future, think to yourself "is this something I might tire of before it is even released" - if yes, don't commit.
Yes, I understand that I don't have to buy them, but I will...I committed. By contacting you to cancel the pre-order, I was trying to keep this from happening:

"If this commitment is not followed thru on, we will place your email on a list that may no longer commit at this tier."

Yes, I understand that I don't have to buy them, but I will...I committed. By contacting you to cancel the pre-order, I was trying to keep this from happening:

"If this commitment is not followed thru on, we will place your email on a list that may no longer commit at this tier."

So you want the option to pre-order and reserve a high demand item—thereby influencing the size of the order the vendor places—but then cancel because you changed your mind, leaving them with extra inventory that they now have to move? These knife stores aren’t Amazon and Wal-Mart, I doubt that eating costs because a customer decided to change their mind is a viable business strategy for them.

So you want the option to pre-order and reserve a high demand item—thereby influencing the size of the order the vendor places—but then cancel because you changed your mind, leaving them with extra inventory that they now have to move? These knife stores aren’t Amazon and Wal-Mart, I doubt that eating costs because a customer decided to change their mind is a viable business strategy for them.
Are you serious? These aren’t custom knives. Do you know how fast the “high demand” knives sell out ? Look, I just wanted to cancel so they could be offered to someone else. It’s too late to cancel, so I’m buying them. What’s the problem?

Are you serious? These aren’t custom knives. Do you know how fast the “high demand” knives sell out ? Look, I just wanted to cancel so they could be offered to someone else. It’s too late to cancel, so I’m buying them. What’s the problem?

I get that they’ll sell out, and that I was probably making a disingenuous point in some way. But the rules were set, and you agreed, but now you want out. I’m just saying that generally speaking, that can be a problem for a small business. In this case it would probably be fine, sure, but I think small businesses have to be careful with that sort of thing.

I get that they’ll sell out, and that I was probably making a disingenuous point in some way. But the rules were set, and you agreed, but now you want out. I’m just saying that generally speaking, that can be a problem for a small business. In this case it would probably be fine, sure, but I think small businesses have to be careful with that sort of thing.
Ok, thanks

On the contrary, I feel you should say exactly what your experiences have been, too bad if it's contrary to what some may want to hear, a Forum is for sharing opinions and evaluations not for fostering group-think or hive mentality :D That said, I really don't think most people are so small-minded as to take offence at hearing a contrary view.
“Most people” is true but there are always that small cadre of people who are unable to engage in discussions with those of different t opinions without resorting to personal attacks and innuendo. The Porch isn’t immune from this but it is thankfully rare. I’ve chosen not to be an enabler of that nonsense when it is directed my way.

The pre-order mechanism is very powerful. With great power comes great responsibility. Preordering 1 knife says “I need this knife”. Preordering 3 knives says, “I can’t live without this knife!”. Every preorder is potentially a knife out of someone else’s hands, so I appreciate that certain sellers give this feature due significance.

I don’t mean to beat a dead horse here, but I appreciate that we follow through on that noble code... kinda when you half heartedly agree to help a friend move and the night before the move you realize you have to bite the bullet.

Preordering 3 knives says, “I can’t live without this knife!”. Every preorder is potentially a knife out of someone else’s hands

Let’s get this straight. I didn’t “pre-order” anything. I “reserved” a Stag 62, a Cocobolo Carver, and a FF Red & Black Micarta Carver...All different knives. I’m buying them! I reserved them at different times...Can we move on?!?

Let’s get this straight. I didn’t “pre-order” anything. I “reserved” a Stag 62, a Cocobolo Carver, and a FF Red & Black Micarta Carver...All different knives. I’m buying them! I reserved them at different times...Can we move on?!?

I have no reservations about moving on.
Should I make one? :D:p

Edit: also isn’t it interesting I consider the same pattern and blade combination with different covers/trim to be the same knife (ex, the 62 pocket carver described above), but someone else calls them two different knives. A third person yet might say it’s impossible by definition to buy two of the same anything, so they are all different knives even if you get the same version twice.

Last edited:
I have no reservations about moving on.
Should I make one? :D:p

Edit: also isn’t it interesting I consider the same pattern and blade combination with different covers/trim to be the same knife (ex, the 62 pocket carver described above), but someone else calls them two different knives. A third person yet might say it’s impossible by definition to buy two of the same anything, so they are all different knives even if you get the same version twice.
Or you can mind your own business :D:p

Back