2020 Northwoods Indian River Jack Thread

Went a little overboard with these.
enkGpx8.jpg
BSSmOiH.jpg
Oh man nice score! How's that mammoth?!

Sweet! Which one do you like best?
It’s a toss-up, I tried to stack the deck on getting just one by getting my wife and son to help. My wife got the mammoth, my son got the kudu and I didn’t get anything lol, so both of them automatically made the “never going to sell” list. These are my only northwoods so it was a nice surprise to get 2 of what might be GEC’s final run.

Oh man nice score! How's that mammoth?!
I’m really happy with the mammoth. This is my first knife with that handle material. The fit and finish is also perfect, great pull and snap. No complaints!

sxMueb1.jpg

My kudu is more acrylic than actual bone, but I love the look. It arrived after dark yesterday, and it has been pretty gloomy here today. I can’t wait to see it in the sun.

This is what I was referencing above, I’m assuming if I can see through it then it isn’t bone but whatever they used to stabilize the bone, I don’t know much about kudu.

This is what I was referencing above, I’m assuming if I can see through it then it isn’t bone but whatever they used to stabilize the bone, I don’t know much about kudu.
My understanding is that Kudu bone is stabilized by injecting it with acrylic resin, then cutting and finishing it. So yes, the transparent bits are basically fancy plastic.

People struck out trying to get just one of these... how'd you manage to get four?
I think internet speed and Apple Pay have a lot to do with it. I had hoped to get two - the micarta and mammoth. There were still some giraffe and camel bone knives left so I kept going till I struck out on the kudu. Not yet sure if I’ll keep them all - if I do sell any I’ll only look to break even. Still in shock that I walked away with four.

I think internet speed and Apple Pay have a lot to do with it. I had hoped to get two - the micarta and mammoth. There were still some giraffe and camel bone knives left so I kept going till I struck out on the kudu. Not yet sure if I’ll keep them all - if I do sell any I’ll only look to break even. Still in shock that I walked away with four.
That’s awesome, great work!

400 pieces for the 2020 Maher & Grosh #35 run. 500 pieces for the 2020 Northwoods Indian River Jack run. Now we all know why the 2020 #74 Mustang run was only 200 pieces of each choice. GEC had to make room for the GEC#19 Little Rattler Run before the year was up. Only one new GEC Pattern this year. I am usually mad after a Northwoods drop. I begged the Northwoods owner/dealer limit one choice for the five different scale choices. That way 500 GEC/Northwoods collectors receive only one knife per run. That dealer wants those Evil-bay flippers to buy 4 to 5 Northwoods in one shipping. That dealer makes more money with combine shipping and less Pay-pal fees. How do you buy 4 to 5 knives in one to three minutes ? Bootleg buying software ! I laughed when I failed this time. It saved me $140. Any dealer selling more than 200 pieces a year of the SFO knives ,is really taking advantage of the GEC SFO program. This hurts the smaller GEC dealers , waiting longer for their knives to come in. One big dealer is selling the GEC#19 red coral canvas knives for $99.95 shipped. He still has those knives. Price fixing does not work , it will only helps the flippers make a bigger profit. This is America , let the free markets work. Dark Days are ahead for Pennsylvania and GEC in 2021. My heart goes out to the 32 loyal hard working employees at GEC. I am really happy for yall scoring a knife on this Northwoods Indian River Jack run. I will be looking forward to the photos that yall will be posting.
I realize that we're not supposed to be talking about the buying process here. But since the post above has been allowed to stand, I feel I need to comment. @Onearmbladenut, you're speaking with a lot of confidence and judgment here on (at least some) things you are just objectively wrong about. That, then, makes you less credible on the other less objective things you "could" be right or wrong about. You are very salty towards this retailer, someone who has been a bladeforums sponsor in the past and who may well still be today. More importantly, this is a retailer who enjoys are VERY good reputation for honesty and fairness, a repurtaion hard-earned over the last decade. You say: "That dealer wants those Evil-bay flippers to buy 4 to 5 Northwoods in one shipping. That dealer makes more money with combine shipping and less Pay-pal fees." Clearly everyone knows this is untrue. So you embarrass yourself with your confidence on this. I was not fortunate enough to score and Indian River Jack this drop. But there have been several Northwoods drops in the past where I've scored more than one knife....three knives, actually, on two drops, even! They all ship in individual First Class Mail sleeves if you chose "free shipping." So, you buy 3 knives, you get 3 separate tracking numbers and 3 separate parcels. How, then, is the retailer combining shipping? You also claim they save on Paypal fees? Can you back this up? Paypal charges 2.9%. So is 2.9% less than 2.9% if it's 2.9% of $450 (for three knives) than it is for $150 (for one knife)? It's a percentage...it's a percentage of the total. Okay, so Paypal also charges 30 cents per transaction. So is it possible that this retailer is motivated by saving 60 cents by selling 3 knives to one individual instead of just 1 knife? Technically, I suppose it's possible. But saving 30 cents on a $220 isn't much return for upsetting the masses...so there may be some other, more substantial motivation for their policies. Besides, we all know how these drops go, you put one in your cart and check out ASAP, then return for a second. And that's what everyone does who scores. So there goes your theory that the retailer is trying to save 30 cents...because they are virtually all 1 knife transactions ANYWAY! Finally, to claim "that dealer wants those Evil-bay flippers to buy 4 to 5 Northwoods..." is just preposterous on its face. We all know that is NOT true about this retailer and, in fact, it's the opposite. In limited and appropriate ways, this retailer has tried to stem the practice of buyers instantly listing knives for sale on the big auction site. We know this. So we have to take all things you so confidently said which we KNOW to be untrue and assume you are equally uninformed on the things whose validity we would otherwise be less certain of. But, ultimately, this comes down to us not knowing everything from the retailer's point of view. They do limit 1 piece per cover option, per order. This industry is fueled by collectors and this is not the first retailer who's been reticent about making a policy that would prohibit a collector from at least "TRYING" to get a full set (even if that's just a dream, it's a possible dream, according to their policy, so THAT may be part of their motivation...but we don't know!). You raise an interesting idea about limiting each person to one knife, period. But that's all it is--your idea. Ideas and suggestions are not bad. But we need perspective: you are basically trying to tell someone what they should do with their business. They have their own mind. And it's their business. Then, when things don't go your way with their business, you put them on blast here with things (at least some) we, in this forum, know to be untrue. I don't work for this retailer. And I don't really even have anyone I'd call "friend" who works there. But in my 5 years of collecting, they have proven themselves to be arguably the most honest, transparent and reliable retailer of slipjoints....anywhere. I thought the mods would take down your post. Since they haven't, I can't not respond. I don't mean to offend anyone here. But a post like this just isn't fair and right to a retailer that's served us so well for so long.

Last edited:
MCar MCar Double thumbs up.

I like many did not get a knife on this drop. Had one in the cart but my Apple pay and PP did not work for me. So I got one by trading. One of the fun things about collecting is the trade. Knife for Knife. No $ exchanged. Reminds me of in the open lot
trading baseball cards or marbles. (Am I that old !) Anyway I have a Giraffe on the way, and I'm excited.

Back