2022 Ben Hogan #65 thread

Part of my attraction to the pattern is the lore of Ben and Kate. Besides that, It‘s become my favorite single blade GEC pattern because of the raised bolster. I know there’s a name for it, but it’s slipped my memory. I much prefer the clip blade version. There’s been over 70 variations of the 65 pattern made including the Farm and Field fishing knives and I’ve been acquiring them as the opportunity presents itself over the past few years. I’m pretty excited with the news of the new release and anxiously await the announcement of cover materials and blade configuration.
169B45CC-667B-44BC-B0BB-F8083A22D53C.jpeg

Besides that, It‘s become my favorite single blade GEC pattern because of the raised bolster. I know there’s a name for it, but it’s slipped my memory. I much prefer the clip blade version.
Copperhead bolster.

Copperhead bolster.
Thanks, Mike…I guess I knew that. Was thinking there was another name for the bolster shape. Nevertheless, I like it because it covers the sharp corner of the tang when closed.

Thanks, Mike…I guess I knew that. Was thinking there was another name for the bolster shape. Nevertheless, I like it because it covers the sharp corner of the tang when closed.
There may very well be more names for it. I'm a fan of the pattern also. I have several Case/S&M/Queen/Cripple Creek copperheads.

A few years ago I bought a 65 Ben Hogan directly from The Drake Oil Well Museum.... It has Oil Sucker Rod handles and is 1 of 49 that GEC made as a SFO for the Museum.... About 2 months after I bought it, the curator contacted me and asked if I would be interested in buying the final knife they had..... I said certainly..... So I now have 2 of the 49 that were made.....

It isn't a pattern that I am overly enthusiastic about..... It is a bit too long for my usual needs....... But it is extremely well made in the typical GEC fashion.... I think it would be perfect for anyone wanting a long, slim knife...

Shown with a 88 for size comparison....
20220507_101829.jpg20220507_102449.jpg20220507_102537.jpg20220507_102704.jpgScreenshot_20220507-104231_PRINT.jpg

Last edited:
Part of my attraction to the pattern is the lore of Ben and Kate. Besides that, It‘s become my favorite single blade GEC pattern because of the raised bolster. I know there’s a name for it, but it’s slipped my memory. I much prefer the clip blade version. There’s been over 70 variations of the 65 pattern made including the Farm and Field fishing knives and I’ve been acquiring them as the opportunity presents itself over the past few years. I’m pretty excited with the news of the new release and anxiously await the announcement of cover materials and blade configuration.
View attachment 1811503
Couple nice knives, great to see them pictured together.

Thanks for the links E Elgatodeacero . It's been many years since I've read up on Hogan or Kate. I'm still intreged by the stories and very much looking forward to see what GEC has planned for this run. I've had chances to buy both the French Kate and Ben Hogan from dealers back in the day and passed at the time. I will be hunting one of these down this time around.

Last edited:
Will we see more clips or spears with this round of 65s? I highly doubt the saber blade will ever reappear and I’m betting these won’t be lockbacks. I’d love to see some covers that haven’t been done before on the Hogan. I’m thinking we will see at least one acrylic. There has never been a Sawcut bone Hogan. I think that would be interesting. Will we see more unique shields like this SFO for Charlie Dorton? This is my favorite 65 to date.
75A5B6CB-525A-44E3-A91A-B0FA3248F56A.jpeg

Will we see more clips or spears with this round of 65s? I highly doubt the saber blade will ever reappear and I’m betting these won’t be lockbacks. I’d love to see some covers that haven’t been done before on the Hogan. I’m thinking we will see at least one acrylic. There has never been a Sawcut bone Hogan. I think that would be interesting. Will we see more unique shields like this SFO for Charlie Dorton? This is my favorite 65 to date.
View attachment 1815924
That's a "Kracker" Bryon! Don't see the donkey shield very often :)

Production update posted.

Clip, stainless, bar shield, Osage Orange.
I'm pumped for that combo. Never had a 65. I have a new appreciation for Osage, and I don't think I have a bar shield anywhere in the collection.

I was hoping for a spear, but if I see any bone covers I might have to snag one. I’ve had enough wood for a few runs I think. I do like the idea of stainless!

Back