2024 Great Eastern GEC # 62 Pocket Carver # 620324

I haven't seen a thread for these yet, but my Maple Valley Richlite Farm & Field came in yesterday! Long shot, but I'm also interested in picking up one of the Rotten Banana Bone versions - I guess we'll see if I'm fast enough!

Let's discuss!

-

Here's the Farm & Field in Maple Valley Richlite - and no, I did not carve the wizard - although I wish I had! I've heard these covers compared to everything from pan-seared bratwurst to diseased fingers, but I think the closest approximation is the Moldy Cheese/Caramel Corn-flavored Jelly Belly® jelly beans! Not everyone's cup of tea, but I consider myself a connoisseur of "ugly" knives and am quite happy to have this example in my hoard:

ONugAcp.jpeg

See what I mean??!

xz5S8hG.jpeg

Got any? Skipping this run? Thoughts? Let's hear it!

Last edited:
They won’t be winning any beauty contests, but these are some very well made knives. Personally, I like the aesthetics of this F&F run, and look forward to carrying them some.

View attachment 2533887

View attachment 2533888
Agreed! Very well-built and, as I got it for it's function, I care less about the aesthetics.

Plus, I think there's something to having a knife that people might be hesitant to borrow! 🤣

Last edited:
Can someone give me a clue how to get one of the Rotten Bananas as they come out? Does anyone take reservations?

I have both a Micarta and a Cocobolo carver and would like to add a bone version to the group. The new richlite versions are nice but I find the Tidoute version more comfortable in my hand than the F&F.

Can someone give me a clue how to get one of the Rotten Bananas as they come out? Does anyone take reservations?

I have both a Micarta and a Cocobolo carver and would like to add a bone version to the group. The new richlite versions are nice but I find the Tidoute version more comfortable in my hand than the F&F.
We don't really talk about the purchasing process here on the porch. This area of the forum is more for appreciation than acquisition.

That said, while I think it's absolutely crazy and should be a closely guarded secret, GEC sees fit to list all of their dealers on their site. Have a blast!

Thanks. I’m aware of that but there are so many. I thought perhaps some dealers might be “friends of the forum”.

Got any? Skipping this run? Thoughts?
Nah. Yup. Great knife, love the 62 frame, but I don't whittle/carve very often. When I do, I prefer harder woods, so I use big and sturdy blade with scandi grind for general shaping and bigger details (thing is perfect for the job), and my 59 whittler for small details. I can only see those tiny wharncliffs make a "ting" - and there the tips go.

Welp. I was planning on sitting these out, but couldn’t pass up an orange delrin at a low price.
I don't know how I resisted those, but I did. I guess it's because I've missed on all the other orange delrins, so there's no set to "complete." 🤣

Well, that, and the fact that I've already got a Maple Valley Richlite, and have a Rosedale Richlite on the way - supposed to arrive April 1st and I sincerely hope that USPS doesn't go in for gags. 😐

I don't know how I resisted those, but I did. I guess it's because I've missed on all the other orange delrins, so there's no set to "complete." 🤣

Well, that, and the fact that I've already got a Maple Valley Richlite, and have a Rosedale Richlite on the way - supposed to arrive April 1st and I sincerely hope that USPS doesn't go in for gags. 😐
Nice! Are you in for the pocket carvers?

Nice! Are you in for the pocket carvers?
Yes, as it seems it is with most everyone who isn't sitting out this run (and probably a few who secretly are...), I'd love to get my hands on one of those rotten bananas!

I even ordered myself some basswood - a pathetic attempt to justify the purchase of 2+ dedicated whittling knives! 🤣

Back