20cv vs Elmax

Hey guys, I just received my zt 0562 from knives ship free in Elmax steel. The only problem is that the blade tip is very, very slightly bent to the right. So I called Kai and they said they replace Elmax with 20cv. They also said that they laser mark the knife with serial number, steel, etc. My question is, if I get 20cv will I notice a difference in performance, and will the value of the knife go down because it is in a different steel. Thanks.

Seems most prefer 20CV. It is generally considered an upgrade; however, I prefer Elmax for the added toughness. Most people would never be able to tell the difference. I doubt I can either to be honest. Elmax has been discontinued by ZT, for now at least, so I suppose the 562s in that steel are scarcer now. All in all, sounds like ZT took care of you with an upgrade in most people's eyes. Their warranty is pretty much unmatched in my experience.

Seems most prefer 20CV. It is generally considered an upgrade; however, I prefer Elmax for the added toughness. Most people would never be able to tell the difference. I doubt I can either to be honest. Elmax has been discontinued by ZT, for now at least, so I suppose the 562s in that steel are scarcer now. All in all, sounds like ZT took care of you with an upgrade in most people's eyes. Their warranty is pretty much unmatched in my experience.
So would you guys do the upgrade? Or stick with Elmax because it is no longer made by zt. I have a Griptillian in 20cv, but nothing in Elmax, so I decided to try it out. Also, will the ever so slightly bent tip ever affect work? Never hard use, just edc tasks. Thanks!

I'd rather have the Elmax, but it depends on how bad the bend is. A photo would help.

But 20V is awesome steel. Either way you'll have a premium steel.
I second this. IF the bend is bad, I would want a new blade.

I second this. IF the bend is bad, I would want a new blade.
Hopefully this works...
8x0Rhjc

To make the pics show up, click on "Embed codes" at the bottom of the page and then copy and paste the BBCode for the full size image.

Personally I would rather have the 20CV. That's just me though.

I can see that there is a slight bend, as you said. But it's very slight. If your sharpening stone cleanly scratches the edge (no gap in what's being sharpened), I'd not worry about it. But if it worries you or if you like 20V better, go that route. I'm not seeing a bad choice here.

Back